Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gave a payroll administrator a raise and she seems deflated

Options
  • 22-06-2022 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

how to handle this pay increase issue

I hired a completely inexperienced direct report for payroll administrator role for outsourced payroll (aged 25) in Ireland on a salary of 27,000 in November 2020

The person was unemployed for 6 months and previously only had bar/pub and retail working experienced but I gave her chance because I saw something in her

She undertook an Irish payroll course at my request and got the qualification (1 year course only)

I had the company cover the cost of the course (circa 1500 euros)

In Jan, I gave her a small pay rise to 27,810 when Inflation news came in

Over the last number of weeks Ive been fighting with finance to give her more and reward her

She is a great worker and I want her to be rewarded

I managed (after alot of attempts and declines)

to secure a further 5,190euro payrise so 6000 total pay rise or 22% since jan bringing total salary to 33,000 from 27,000

I rang her to deliver the good news and she sounded completely underwhelmed by the increase and news

Any advice on such situations ? She said nothing but was like "oh right, thanks ," and said nothing , and sounded deflated

I completely understand the cost of living is high but I don't know how to approach it with it ? (Or do nothing, which I don't like to do)

I'm considering having another chat and setting goals and speaking about more next year but maybe it's too soon or I could be over thinking it

Any advice from managers on here ?

I can't get her anymore money this year

The industry average states 31k to 33k for payroll administrator it states online

She doesn't have access to any other staff salaries and those within the same team have 10 plus years experience anyway

There was no expectation set before hand so this was a surprise

I suddenly feel bad, as obviously we all want as much as we can get but still

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did she ask for more money?

You may gave put her income over the threshold for Working Family Payment or social housing.

The only way to find out is to ask.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Sometimes a pay rise is not a pay rise

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

inflation is knocking the sh1te outta folks, and most sme's simply cant respond to it......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Since you have no idea what is going on in her life, you should not draw any conclusions, but discuss the matter with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Did you indicate to her that she would not be taking on any significant responsibilities with this increase?

Myself and other people have experienced receiving a few grand increase with being told no change to your role before soon later inheriting responsibilities off your superiors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

somoene i know told his firm not to give him pay rise until they could give him 15k extra. He would have lost too much witha few grand here and there.

Advertisement