Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts & Crafts Chat Thread

Options
  • 22-06-2022 9:17pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If there was a generic chat thread before, I can't find it, so here it goes.

Mod: Usual Boards rules apply, see forum charter for further info.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've been watching Sky Arts, this past while. I love the "Portrait Artist of the Year" and "Landscape Artist of the Year" series, but I particularly love "The Prince's Master Crafters" - I'd love to try my hand at all of those crafts and I'm very envious of their skills and the chance those people got.

Has anyone else been watching these series, or has anyone actually tried any of the crafts themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I love thoe types of shows, but haven't seen any craft series in years.

Have you (or anyone else) started planning to make any crafts to make for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Haven't seen the master crafters one, but have been dipping in and out of All That Glitters (BBC) and Best Woodworker (Ch4) recently.

For xmas, I'm going to paint some tree decorations as gifts, have order some blank wood circle with a small hole from amazon!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was thinking about a theme for this year (my usual downfall, utter lack of imagination, aside from everything else). I was thinking pop-ups/sliceforms, but I need to figure out a) a pattern and b) how long it'd take me to cut each segment by hand, considering the number of cards I have to make.

How about you, any ideas yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I actually can’t start my Christmas crafts until I’ve finished my Halloween ones as it’s my favourite one, not sure why, probably bc I spent some of my youth in the US.

Good thing my pets love pumpkin bc the carving is a major operation as I get a lot of my friends kids and their friends involved along with making decorations for some of my nurse friends that work in Crumlin.

However, I did just finish knitting all the little sock present decorations as I want to tie them on to hold sweets.

• Advertisement

OOOH, sounds nice New Home! Sounds intricate too. Martha Stewart (way back when) had some lovely sliceform patterns.

No, nothing yet...Just thinking about small neighbour stuff and gathering ideas for siimple card designs

Do you do fancy jack-o-lantern designs? I never have carved a pumpin before, it looks a bit unwiieldy to try (I would slice off a finger!) How far in advance of Halloween are you able to carve? Cut pumpkins don't seem like thwy would last more than one day. Do you toasst the seeds, like I heaard some do?

Well done em_cat! Your socks are the real treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gingerspice99

Hi Folks any ideas where I can get deco mesh, wired ribbon and artificial flower cheaply? Want to make wreaths to raise money for charity but the supplies I can source are expensive. Thanks 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am busy here with the small knitted bells I send with notes instead of cards, with real little jingle bells,, Gold and acrylic DK.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A huge gift of yarn arrived this week... For a need for wide head bands etc that are on order. I now have enough requests to keep me happily active craft wise for the rest of the year and a huge heap ready to be parcelled and posted... Happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Frustrated_WW

Glass Coffee Jars:

Apologies if this has been asked previously (can't find the thread) I am looking to source used glass coffee jars (example Douwe Egberts) plenty of information where to recycle but not to source. Many thanks

I've replied on the other thread, but just one thing I might add - entirely up to you, but if you want to say what general area you're in, people here might be willing to keep theirs aside for you. Also, do you only need the jars or the plastic lid, too? Are you interested in all jar sizes and shapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lummers48

Hey all

Random but related question. I recently started up my craft business on instagram. Doing well with it but was thinking does anyone know the name of good supplier of Crafting blanks etc. There are a few online but I'd love to cut out the middle man and go directly to the supplier.

Thanks so much for any advise/feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

Hard to beat Amazon if you can get them to deliver your item to this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lummers48

Thanks pal. Someone had said this to me alright. China is cheap as chips but shipping time and quality can be uncertain..

Advertisement