Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parsun Outboard?

Options
  • 23-06-2022 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm now researching and in the process of getting a 20 to 25hp outboard and I'm looking at the reliable brands like Yamaha, Tohatsu, etc. I will probably buy new as i hope it will be my last one to buy. Its for pleasure purposes only and it will hardly see 50 hours a year but I do expect it to be reliable and for it to last 15 to 20 years. For use on the sea and river.

I have a great belief in buy once cry once and get the best I can afford on the day but in saying that, and given the price point, why should I buy or not buy a Parsun?

Anyone with long time experience on Parsuns could you please share any good and bad points with them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don't have long term experience with Parsun engines, but I did buy a 2.6hp one last summer, and used it a few times and so far it's been grand. Granted I've only put about 3-4 hours on it, but it seems like a simple enough engine to work on.

My only gripe was when going through the breaking in process, it called for no more than something like 25% and then 50% throttle for the first few hours of operation, and when I finally got to open it up to 100%, it turned out that 100% throttle was actually when the throttle twist grip showed around 50-60%, so I probably had it too high on revs too early in it's working life!

I had my heart set on a Suzuki DF2.5, but they were at least a few hundred more, and when Marine Parts had the Parsun in stock there and then, my impulses took over and I picked one up.

I've seen plenty of the bigger 20+ HP engines on the back of ribs, so they seem to be a popular choice, no doubt because of their price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have one for a few years now with no problems, you should get a warranty to cover you for maybe 2-3 years after that you might need to find a mechanic near you that works on the engine you choose not easy these days outboard mechanics are getting hard to find so best to learn how to service the engine yourself and save a few quid. Most engines are the same their lifespan is more down to how well they are looked after than who made them, I have mercury, Johnson and Evinrudes from the 50's and 60's still running fine today "merc's are best" 😜 but the boat next to me will say his Johnson is better 🙄 it could be down to whatever his Dad had when he was growing up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I had a Parsun 4hp for around 18 months (until I sold my last boat). No issues although when I mentioned Parsun to any mechanic they would raise their eyes to heaven! I think there are a fair few reviews online, especially from the UK, if you search.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have heard of mechanics refusing to work on parsun engines. They apparently don't come from the same factory as Honda as one dealer informed a perspective customer...

So probably a grand engine until it needs fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Thanks lads,

Think I'll stick with one of the longer established brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

I got a parsun 2.5hp back in 2020 and few times I used it was always cutting out and put me in some messy situations. Ended up putting back on my Yamaha 5hp and that parsuns in a box in a shed ever since. Looking back at it now for the sake of few hundred quid I should have just got the yamaha 2.5hp

Advertisement