Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2023

Options

Comments

You’d have got pretty good odds on the first points of this Super Rugby season arriving via a drop goal I would have thought.

Scrappy first half, with error count high on both sides, understandable for first game of the season.

Pace of the game and ball in play time is really noticeable though - the rule changes from that perspective seem to be working. Very little delay over lineouts etc. NZ will be much more dangerous if their players are conditioned to play this time of game.

In terms of performances, McKenzie has been busy at 10 but Mo’unga the more effective 10 for me so far.

Munster’s new signing Nankivell has had a quiet half: he got absolutely smashed on his first couple of carries.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

First yellow card of the season going to ..... Sam Cane!

Would have gotten low odds on that ! :D

Chiefs have been in control in this second half.

Nankivell scores their third try, after play broke down from a quick tap.

The ref process around Blackadder’s high hit and yellow was quick (which was good to see) but will be interesting to see if it’s elevated to red.

Remarkable lack of scrums through an hour of rugby!

And John Ryan is on!

• Advertisement

Super first scrum from Ryan and the Chiefs; Crusaders looked really poor.

Beautiful first phase try with the heavy lifting done by Josh Ioane.

Chiefs have been really good here.

Hopefully we're seeing a changing of the guard here. Crusaders seem not too well equipped to play a faster game with more ball in play time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This Tahs v Brumbies game is good fun. Looks like a decent crowd at it as well which is good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

They used to love playing fast. Goodhue and Ennor have picked up their fair share of injuries over the last few years, and Will Jordan is out so their backline isn't as dynamic as it could be. They're still much better than they showed today I reckon but your prediction is looking good so far. All empires fall I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Canes inistake mode for at least the first quarter of this game. Down 6-0 to the Reds.

Tom Lynagh, son of the legendary Michael, is at 10 for the Reds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Just watching the Blues v Highlanders now. The Blues look good.

If you'd asked me before the match who was better out of Caleb Clarke and Mark Telea, I would have been 100% Clarke. But Telea in that match, wow!!!

Post edited by Yeah_Right on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Watched the highlights of the Pacifia Fijian game -hugely entertaining - the skill and natural power.Fijians won , some serious talent, ther my team

so first round comments

crusaders: will definitely get better, but may struggle to win the comp this season

blues: looked very much like champs in waiting

chiefs: damn that was an impressive win. DMAK is the main man

Highlanders: no defense = no win. must be better

canes: shanky but eventually had enough for a poor reds.

reds: not going to be a good year. young lynagh is not the messiah

brumbies: valuable away win over tahs. looking average though

tahs: wonderkid on the wing.. stil lost

rebels: crap

force: awakens

moana pasifika: entertaining, but work on your fitness lads

drua: damn how fast is that hooker! love to watch them play their hybrid basketball / rugby style

Just caught up with today's games. Crusaders looking like back to normal. Could be a long season for Highlanders @sydthebeat Umaga-Jensen was the one bright spark.

Hurricanes were cruising in their match with Ardie Savea being Ardie Savea. Until a scuffle before halftime caused the Canes to lose the plot and fire the Rebels up. Looks like Aumua and Coles are playing a half each, Roigard looked good at 9 for the Canes.

Just saw some highlights too - that Damien McKenzie left to right pass for the try on the right side for Liam Coombes-Fabling was a thing of absolute beauty.

All Blacks have got to find a way to get this guy on the field for their first XV. He’s in my top 5 absolute favourite players in the world to watch.

Love McKenzie but he makes huge mistakes from time to time which prove very costly. I think that's the reason he's not getting much time with the All-Blacks.

D-Mac is like Finn Russell. Incredible talent and can be brilliant but as mentioned above, too many errors. I would not feel confident with him starting at 10. If my team was chasing a game, I'd love to have him coming off the bench though.

we're certainly not a good side this year. 112 points conceded in 2 games is embarrassing and i feel the chiefs could rack up 50 points as well this coming weekend. There was a certain element of that starting team on Saturday been thrown to the wolves. Id argue about 50% of them were 2nd fiddlers. No Smith, De Groot or Frizzell. The midfield and outside backs are decent, but never really got decent ball or organisation with Hauiti-Parapara and Burns at halves. Mitch Hunt isnt much better, but smith / fakatava and Hunt would certainly be a step up.

i was glad to see Pari Pari Parkinson back after missing the last 12 months through injury though.

after the chiefs this weekend our schedule is Home to Force, home to Drua, Paskfika in Auckland. Id be hoping of at least 13 points from those 3 games.

Im hoping Dermody is playing a clever game this season, and really targeting those games against our rivals for those 6th-8th place. We're in the "connacht" conundrum where we're patently the weakest NZ side, and we play the other NZ sides 6 times and non NZ sides 8 times. Someone like the tahs only play the other NZ sides 3 times.

The goal this season is to increase on out total points of 23 from last year, even if that means we're still in 8th place in the league.

So ....

Fijian Drua just beat the crusaders !!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Brilliant finish! What an insane pickup for the first Drua try!

Crusaders looking like Gloucester, just mauling it over all day

• Advertisement

Just seen that result at half time in the Force game. Delighted for the Drua but if you asked me if that would happen in the next ten years I'd have said no chance. Crusaders are falling apart this season.

Well, I did pick the Drua to beat the Crusaders in the last minute before the season started. I thought it would be a try though 😁

Bit concerned about the Blues and their struggle to score points in the 2nd half of their last 2 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Anyone know how many players on that Drua team play for the Fijian national team?

About half of that 23 are capped, there are also some 7s capped players as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Chiefs remain unbeaten.

Crusaders beat understrengh Brumbies. Leicester Fainga'anuku is something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

I've decided to watch the Rebels vs the Reds tonight. Rebels very physical so far.

Absolutely delighted with the highlanders performance this morning to beat the drua 57-24

We're going through an apocalyptic injury run at the moment, so 9 points from the last two games is very very valuable

Great win for the Rebels. Entertaining game. Tried their best to lose it at times. Definitely sharper outfit this year.

Wild finish to that game. Insanely silly and unnecessary hold from the Reds player to cost his team the try at the death.

• Advertisement

Sevu Reece is out for the WC. Done his ACL.

Advertisement