Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2023

Options
12346»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Teams named for the super rugby 2023 final

Chiefs: 1-Aidan Ross, 2-Samisoni-Taukei'aho, 3-George Dyer, 4-Brodie Retallick, 5-Tupou Vaa'i, 6-Pita Gus Sowakula, 7-Sam Cane, 8-Luke Jacobson, 9-Brad Weber, 10-Damian McKenzie, 11-Etene Nanai-Seturo, 12-Anton Lienert-Brown, 13-Alex Nankivell, 14-Emoni Narawa, 15-Shaun Stevenson

Reserves: 16-Tyrone Thompson, 17-Ollie Norris, 18-John Ryan, 19-Naitoa Ah Kuoi, 20-Samipeni Finau, 21-Cortez Ratima, 22-Josh Ioane, 23-Rameka Poihipi

Crusaders: 1-Tamaiti Williams, 2-Codie Taylor, 3-Oli Jager, 4-Scott Barrett, 5-Sam Whitelock, 6-Sioni Talitui, 7-Tom Christie, 8-Christian Lio-Willie, 9-Mitch Drummond, 10-Richie Mo'unga, 11-Leicester Fainga'anuku, 12-Jack Goodhue, 13-Braydon Ennor, 14-Dallas McLeod, 15-Will Jordan

Reserves: 16-George Bell, 17-Kershawl Sykes-Martin, 18-Reuben O'Neill, 19-Quinten Strange, 20-Dominic Gardner, 21-Willi Heinz, 22-Fergus Burke, 23-Chay Finaki

John Ryan starts on the bench as he did for the semi final. Oli Jager starts for the crusaders. As an aside, it's weird that Fletcher Newell has a rugby championship squad spaced after only playing 49 minutes this season, the season opening game back in February. A big performance from Jager and I think he's first off the rank should Newell not return on time.

For this game, something tells me that crusaders will win handily enough. They have the game to smother DMCK and Narawa. The crusaders have been getting better and better as the season ends, while the chiefs have struggled to put away the reds and the Brumbies in the qf and sf.

Bookies have it as chiefs -1, but I'm predicting an 8-10 point win for the crusaders

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You never bet against the Crusaders in the finals. Home or away.

FFS - exactly what you don’t want to happen in the first 10 mins of a final.

Probably going to be upgraded to red too.

Great try! Beaut of a pass from Nankivell.

Don't know how it wasn't a red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

That’s a great try. Lovely finish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Narawa having a class game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Wow 😲

Ah, offside

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Harsh on the Chiefs there. All the Crusaders players went straight off their feet into the ruck before Cane was pinged. Chiefs should've gone for a drop in their last foray in the Crusaders 22

Ahh feck it. Chiefs just shot themselves in the foot tonight. Brilliant match

• Advertisement

Epic game.

Crusaders couldn't actually shut down DMCK and Narawa, who both had brilliant games.

Discipline did the chiefs in. 30 minutes down a man is too much against a team like the crusaders.

Fair dues to Jager for playing 77 minutes

2 paces separating DMC and the Chiefs from an epic win. That move was well drawn up, hated to see it called back. Fair play to the Crusaders, really did a job with disrupting the Chiefs' lineout, Scott Barrett in particular was brilliant there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Did John Ryan feature in the match? If so, how did he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just read online that John Ryan came on for the last 20, but wondering if he had any impact?

He did fine - wasn’t a lot of scrums. Hit rucks and had a handful of close to ruck carries but not memorable or impactful.

It pains me to say it but I'm glad the Crusaders won. The Blues have been the 2nd best NZ team for a few years now and it would have pissed me off to have Chiefs pop up and end the Crusaders dominance. Good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Crusaders are an incredible club. Coaching is top class from youth kevel right the way through to the senior side.

Ronan O'Gara was very smart to go over there for a couple of years and learn about their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Cheers Brilliant all season tbf, I'd have no issues with them winning it. TBH SR needs a new champion, seriously boring iof the same teams wins every time

Based on the season, the Chiefs deserved it but the Crusaders are such a strong club that if they make the final, they usually win. Super Rugby does need new champions though. Crusaders have won 7 of the last 8 titles.

Interesting that their longest drought (2010s) coincided with one of the All Blacks best periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Eddie comes off a pretty affable character here tbf! The suggestion of a heino cup style tournament down south is interesting but I just don't think they have enough quality leagues / teams for it!

• Advertisement

Highlanders adding some good stock to next season's squad....

Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens, lock Mitch Dunshea and loose forward Tom Sanders.

Rhys Patchell joins Highlanders for next season....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Can we expect a title run, Syd? Will there be a parade?

Nah we're waiting for 2025 and the 10th anniversary

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd love to see a few more teams join. Surely they can get the Sunwolves back in?It'd be nice to see a team from Argentina again.

The loss of the South African teams really hurt the competition. I don't understand how southern hemisphere teams whose country compete at national level in the Rugby Championship can join a northern hemisphere competition.

Advertisement