Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pushback against Leftism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Supporting loose immigration policies is an article of faith of the left yet you condescend about voting against own interests by voting right ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As a conservative, this is my biased opinion of course. Irish society's leaders, the chattering class, have done a 180 and have attempted to revoke all the traditions and societal structires of the past and embraced the progressive idea's of a fairer more equitable one. Chesteron's gate is bulldozed. However, in attempting this we have transformed into a fractured and multipolar country where judging what is the correct ideological position to take or what hued flag to fly is paramount, all the while building up multi-generalation level of debt to construct the new Ireland. In the book, Why institutions fail by Niel Fergussion, he posits that a lack of trust between individuals and groups is primary factor of social disorder. As Ireland faces the future built on the Me and the MeToo trends, we might wish this pushback began sooner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is just simplistic nonsense. It's like saying "work harder". Even the modern right have ditched this casuistry though fascism and ethnic nationalism aren't exactly improvements.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's all over your post. For instance you say "more capitalism" will solve world poverty without saying how. Light on details with a touch of conspiracy theory in the form of "climate alarmism".

We saw what 21st century conservatism truly is on the 6th January 2021. No amount of bad faith whataboutery and disinformation changes this.

Doubly so when you've not even tried to produce any evidence for your climate denial drivel.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Income inequality can be reduced by better taxation and wealth distribution in western countries and more capitalism to reduce poverty globally. Income inequality is less of an issue in Western countries, and more of an issue between developed and developing countries. You are better off at the bottom of the money pile in Ireland, than in the middle of places like Russia, Brazil, China etc. They are facts.

Only in welfare states. The US... it's pretty damn horrible to be at the bottom. And welfare states end up costing the taxpayer to pay for those on the bottom, with the numbers involved tending to rise, along with the associated costs. Income inequality is a problem for western nations. Developing nations have less respect for the importance of life, so they really don't care about those at the bottom (as opposed to the western views on the value of human life)... although it's worth considering that most such nations have retained their sense of community, and the poor help each other out considerably.

They're not facts. They're opinions.

Overall, an interesting post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How exactly would fewer NGOs lead to more oversight and accountability? Some of the best charities are those small local groups, often single issue groups, that work their asses off to deal with particular issues. And some of the worst abuses in the past have been the very large ones, like Rehab and CRC. So how did you work out that fewer NGOs would be better?

Why shouldn't staff in NGOs have pensions? And where are the 'tons' of alcohol action groups here?

Spunout provide information on the internet - maybe you've heard of it. It is a fairly effective way to communicate with young audiences. They also provide a chat service.

Local anti-racism groups get zero government funding.

We're riddled with lies and exaggeration, because people don't like being called out as racists.

Anyone in Ireland is wealthy by the standards of 80% of the world population.

You realise it is the kind of improved governance structures all through the sector that is bringing potential issues like this to light?

Lost his wife, lost his family, lost his career.

If that's your role model in life, good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Add to that it's both contradictory and some of it is clearly left wing - Specifically tax for wealth redistribution is definitely not a centre-right policy. Nor is it compatible with true capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I thought this one was worth a fact check as you gave very specific figures. Looking at their annual accounts in any given year they receive approx 250k from grants from both state bodies and other charitable foundations (i.e non-state, may be from within the state, may be from without).

The only hard reference I found to state funding was from 2016, when a FG TD was bellyaching for some reason about them getting 75k from the Department of Health via lottery grant.

In an industry where lobbying firepower from alcohol companies is ubiquitous with practically unlimited resources, I'm not mad at 3 person team recieving state funding for research and advocacy for an activity that has hugely negative effects on society and they have to go up against industry goliaths that regularly have government's ear. It's not like too many other people are doing it.

In short, I think you picked a bad example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Shoog

Supporting loose immigration policies is an article of faith of the Neo-liberal economic model and is positively encouraged. Where the left encourages immigration or not - it has been the slavish addiction to neo-liberal economics of the right and middle parties which has driven the actuality of mass immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

Depends if you think it's a bad thing or not.

There is a shortage of workers in the western world we need more people.

Benefits us all.

• Advertisement

As I said the right are offering no solutions as per your reply:

Climate change: Just let it happen we'll figure it out.

Income inequality: Adjust tax rates. like this idea but isn't that a left wing thing.

Healthcare: Just don't get sick, yeah my favorite, don't have sex or get pregnant either. Not realistic.

Housing: Blame the immigrants.

Re Jan 6 the president of the USA tried to get the vice president killed and overturn a free a fair election.

A far bigger cause for concern than regular protests or even riots.

What's coming out from the committee hearings are shocking, it shows how close the US came to a dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The priority of the left used to be looking after and enabling the wellbeing of working class people, working class Irish people.

their priorities now are people, problems and situations thousands of miles away. They want to sort those problems while being paid by Irish citizens..

also they want to invite those people here and screw the taxpayers here.

Perpetual economic growth in a finite world is the single greatest threat to planetary survival. Growth is not just a number - it always draws on resource extraction growth and population growth. Where either stalls then growth stalls and that is the reality we are coming up against at this very crucial juncture in history.

Anyone who doesn't acknowledge this central fact has nothing useful to say on anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Them being o the Right depends what cointry you are living in .In America those countries being pro gay rights, pro choice on abortion, and irreligious would make them Left. Alot would call themselves Right supporters in Europe but would condemn alot of what the American Religious Right believes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Perpetual economic growth in a finite world is the single greatest threat to planetary survival

The planet doesn't give a fúck about us, it will be grand.

The most powerful country in the world almost taken over by a coup, no a big deal.

.6% of the population may want to change their gender, OMG the world is ending.......

So, you have nothing to say how the problems might be fixed. Just "more capitalism" with more words.

Dumping a link to some book isn't a convincing argument, just conspiracy nonsense. So much material and yet none has been posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you recall any BLM protests that involved nooses, gallows, tasers, and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You're aware that Trump and his goons attempted to get Pence to overturn the election result illegally - and even put documents under his nose when the building was under seige? Pence ended up an unlikely saviour of the Republic, but he refused to bow even when the capitol building was being raided by conspiracy theory hicks who were chanting to hang him.

You've drank a particular brand of Kool-Aid. Remarkable. If such events happened in a South American country you'd know full well what to call it, but you're on the Q-Anon crazy train and you don't even have the self-awareness to recognise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Hang on....isn't that what we were told happened in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Have they caught the people who managed to erect a gallows on the lawn of the State Capital? I mean, how did they even manage to carry planks of timber around? The place is saturated with CCTV cameras!!!

At least its not a showstopper.

I didn't claim that it was.

Once inequality is maintained at a certain level ( gini co-efficient ), once a rising tide lifts all boats ( which in Ireland it does ) and people have opportunities to better themselves through further education...then that is a fair solution all around.

Ahh well, I'd consider income inequality merely to be a fact of life. People choose different careers and that results in different incomes. Same with the consequences of their choices in life.

I don't see income inequality to be terrible, in itself. However, it is something that exists in the West, just as much as in other countries. That was the point I was making.

The standard of living in the uS is high and if you dont have any issues with criminal history, addictions and are free to move to other locations...then poverty is to a large extent a choice.

Sorry but that's rubbish. There are cultural groups that typically end up at the bottom due to lack of funding in their regions, poor educational attainment and the failures within their own cultures. The redneck, trailer trash, etc are all groups that repeatedly end up at the bottom, and would be considered comparatively poor with those in China.. There's been a lot of people left behind in the US... and that's without even tackling the homeless in American cities/towns.

American culture ensures there is a poverty trap. That's certainly true for many minority groups.

Doubt they could be charged with anything with the freedom of speech laws in the US.

Unless they entered the building in which case they could be. The mob reading out Trumps tweet and then chanting hang Mike Pence tells us all we need to know, they got within 40 yards of him.

More dipshit fantasy economics. It takes more resources to mine off planet resources than it does to simply mine them at home. Basic physics here as we live at the bottom of a gravity well that takes vast energy and material resources to escape. I hate delusional futurist utopians like yourself and the bozo and musky boys

This statement is abundantly true - but we as a species depend on the survival of the planet in its current form. I for want to survive even if you don't believe it matter to the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

There was a President who actively planned to overturn an election - that is the very definition of a coup you delusional ****.

• Advertisement

Real wages have stagnated and shrank in Ireland, the UK and America over the last three decades. The drip down economic model is an absolute lie. Even if you do everything in your power to better yourself in the current western economic zone - as a group working people have become relatively poorer. Most have only been able to maintain living standards through borrowing.

If you understood the first thing about the economic model you advocate you would understand why this is inevitable and why it accelerated after the financial crash of 2008.

Your peddling a fantasy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement