Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prescription glasses for Pistol / Rifle shooting

• 24-06-2022 8:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭

Has anybody on here managed to sort out the problem of getting the correct type of prescription glasses needed to see the front sight clearly while still being able to see the target. Grateful for any imput

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

So simple enough, go to Specsavers and get your eyes tested, even if you have a prescription you need a little longer eye relief to get a sharp focus on the front sight (pistol, I presume)

Attached are two pics of the glasses I got, JCB polycarbonate lenses with side protectors.

I asked for the left lens to be clear and uncorrected, your eyes will work better if you do not go for both eyes corrected as you only need to have your dominant eye (usually right,) corrected and you do need to be able to see the field of vision as normal with the left eye, sorry it may be a hashed up explanation but I hope you get my drift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Wadi14

For pistol shooting its normally +0.5 diopter strength added to your distance strength, that's if your old like me and need strength added for distance.

Concentrate more on getting the front sight picture clear, as that's where your should be focusing as you fire the shot. You don't need a crystal clear target as you shouldn't be focusing on it as your fire the shot.

Like smmember20 I have my master eye (left in my case but right handed ) with +0.5 and the non aiming eye has my normal prescription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

Lets be careful with the non dominant eye advices, if your normal prescription is for reading only then by keeping the prescription in the non dominant eye then everything will be blurred beyond that distance, not a good thing in my view.

So let me clarify my advice, I only need glasses for reading, and short distance like foresight is blurry without them, so I had a pair of glasses made up taking into consideration the focus of my dominant eye to the foresight of the pistol, there or there abouts. So for normal shooting the left or non dominant eye in my case needs no correction so hence the insertion of a neutral glass in the non dominant side.

As a person needing reading glasses all I want to do is improve focus on the front sight so therefore that only prescription lens I need is on the dominant eye side

To allow adjustment I put my glasses on 20 minutes prior to shooting and let the brain do the rest!!!

and the non aiming eye has my normal distance prescription

I suppose that's what I should have wrote, Every individuals eye sight is different we for example have 2 different set ups for or non dominant eye, but we both have achieved the things we set out to do when we got our glasses made up, that was

1. Have the front sight in focus with our dominant eye
    2. Being able to see at distance with the non dominant eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭delboythedub

Lads thank you for your imput and l will study all carefully and seek a solution. I wear glasses for reading and driving and i have a pair i bought in chemist for shooting which lets me see the front pistol sight good but to say the target is Blurry is understatment, even putting a red sticker on the target center it looks like double vision Vertically, ie 2 red stickers one on top of the other. But i will keep at it and keep all posted. once again Thank You to all.

• Advertisement

Book an eye test and get a distance reading and add+0.5 diopter to that for your aiming eye, I say aiming eye as there are a few people who don't aim using their dominant eye. Remembering that we all have different sight, so what I did when getting my eye test was I got the reading page from the optician and got him to hold it out in front of me and he adjusted my distance strength until the reading was in focus.

With the reading glasses you have your bringing your focus too far in, yes you can see the front sight clear as day, but what you want to do is see the target using the distance strength but then bring that strength back in so you can focus on the front sight. That's where the distance diopter comes in you add to it and it brings your focus nearer to the front of the pistol and you can still see the target.

The two target thing your talking about is similar to what I experience if I try to shoot using my non dominant eye with my dominant eye open, I see two targets side by side, its hard to know which one to shoot at lol.

Wadi 14 this is the route im looking at now and adding+0.5 diopter to aiming eye. I have been looking at other forums websites into this for a good few months and no info at all. I only posted this on Boards yesterday and with all the replies i got im sure my situation is resolved and my thanks to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

I went to specsavers and got a pair made up of right eye, sight eye, correct at arms length plus a little bit for where the pistol front sight is

Left eye was for my normal prescription lens, ie not reading.

Used them once and could not get both eyes to work as I thought it would. Throw them up into the berm never to be seen again.

lol clivej sure your blind in one eye and can't see in the other 😉

Take them back down again if the weeds haven't grown over them, and get a lens cut for your aiming eye working back from the distance strength.

you did what most of us tried with the reading glasses, i.e. bringing our vision in to the front sight which is way too close for pistol shooting because you can't see the target then.

But as you know yourself the red dot solves all the problems, the future is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

I didn't do so badly in the IPA comp. in Fermoy last week for an auld lad that has 2 blind eyes.

• Advertisement

Getting a set of JCB style glasses from specsavers one eye Distance and the other reading with lense set to front sight. I'll let you guys know how it all works out. Thanks to all for the advice.

Hi all I got the new shooting glasses yesterday and getting a new Left Hip tomorrow so no chance of testing these glasses out for a few weeks. When I do get a chance to go to the range I will let you guys know how i get on. Cheers for now

Advertisement