Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop running really slowly and making noises

Options
  • 24-06-2022 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a computer idiot so would appreciate some help. I bought a second hand desktop (from adverts) a while back, a HP. It's really just to play poker, internet etc.

A while back, it has started to perform really slowly and making a "rasping" sound.

I've noticed that the little orange indicator beside the hard drive graphic (and on/off switch) is flashing when it goes slow.

See photo attached. Can anyone suggest if it can be fixed or is it only fit for the bin? Is there a cheap desktop on the market for internet use only?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My first thought is that the hard drive is dying, hence the noise and slow response as it struggles to read from it. Save any data from it now. You could easily just replace the drive, and with an SSD to speed it up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Thanks for the reply Spear, much appreciated.

There's no data on it (as far as I know) as it's only used once in a blue moon for online poker (an occasional game, for very small money, with a glass of wine is my guilty pleasure!!).

I wouldn't know how to replace a drive or even what a SSD is. I'd be better just getting a cheap replacement!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Data would still include anything such as saved logins/passwords for sites.

You have an old fashioned hard drive. Spinning disks being read from by magnetic heads. An SSD is a solid state drive with no moving parts., and are much faster. Replacing it is usually a matter of maybe 4 screws and two cables being swapped between them.

Do you have the full specs or model number of the PC?

switch out the drive for a small ssd absolutely the first thing to try alright- youd pick one up for next nothing and its a doddle to do

makes most old PC's run like new (or better) to boot (pun intended)

Thanks folks, it's a HP Pro 3400 Series MT Desktop Windows 10 Pro 64 (as per original ad).

It only cost €75 and I'd usually buy second hand as my use is limited. I don't do any banking etc on it so the only password would be my Pokerstars account with about €10 in it!!

• Advertisement

if you didnt need anything huge capacity wise you can pick up a standard 120gb one for about twenty quid that would do you

almost as handy to run a fresh install than copy your current drive but if you have anyone you can get who knows anything about PC's its a quick and easy job

A cheap 120GB SSD can be gotten for about €20 on Amazon. The alternative is buying another PC, but if you're happy to go for second hand older machines like that, then it may not cost that much more.

Thanks again, I'll look on youtube to do a fresh install (that's wiping the PC?) and if that doesn't work, I'll get another second hand one.

I wouldn't be confident opening the PC and changing drives or even ordering the correct one!!

Swapping them is literally a 5 minute task. The drive you'd want is a 2.5 inch, SATA SSD. And a clean install won't change anything, the hard drive is physically failing.

Thanks spear,

Would this do the job and would a luddite like me be able to install it? If it's just a case of opening the unit and switching the hard drives, even I should manage that?

If not, would really appreciate, if allowed, that you could post a link to one?

Thanks again so much for indulging my lack of knowledge in the matter. It's very much appreciated!

• Advertisement

That Kingston will work fine. It just needs two cables, a power cable and the SATA data cable, which would be the same ones already in used by the pre-existing hard drive. They're also keyed so they can only go in one way. After that can do a fresh install. You could also look at mirroring the old drive contents onto the new one, but there is a risk of the old install already being damaged, or the hard drive completely dying during the copy.

Brilliant, I'll give that a go.

Thanks again for all your help, it's very much appreciated!

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Actually, before you go too fast, have you got whats needed for a fresh install? Any new disc that you buy will be blank, and you'll have to install the operating system (I assume Windows) on it

You've lost me there Spocker!!

Windows 10 is on the pc at present. Does buying a SSD lose that?

you can follow the instructions within windows to create a copy for a fresh install if i recall correctly - youll need a usb key with enough space

and remember youll need to reinstall any programs you have already, but from what youre saying you dont have docs or photos or anything to lose so you should be ok there

Thanks Snoop.

shout if any questions about that- genuinely now have no fear of doing it, its a piece of cake and you'll feel like a right techy after

Thanks again Snoop.

I'll give it a go. I'm not sure if I'm ever cut out to be a techy though. Bit late as I'm in my 50s now!!

Advertisement