Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair scratch on frame

Options
  • 24-06-2022 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for repair recomendations for a small scratch on the bike frame where the the black powder coating has chipped away.

I would rather top the paint before the rust takes hold. any products that would be advised? I have seen some "pens" to top up powdercoated surfaces, is this a load of shite?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stick up a pic there

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

You might do consider posting this in the classic cars forum, we have a lot of experience with rust repairs there :)

I don't have experience of powder, but if it were paint, I'd sand back till I reach clean metal. I assume your frame is steel since you mention rust. If there is any trace of rust apply rust converter, then primer, then topcoat. If there area is very small, you are better to do this with a small art brush, just spray into the lid of the can and dip the brush in. With spraying, you end up doing a much bigger area than you intended to, in my experience.

If you are in Dublin, Vinny Byrnes is worth a look for supplies.

And, as above, post a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

If its small, a touch up pen can work very well.

Apply small amounts

Polish it well and wash between applications

Layer it up and you will be surprised how good it can match.

Look at a few YT vids, plenty of advise on it

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Confirmed this was the colour code on the frame and got this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193172622904

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Vinny Byrne's new site is terrible for bikes, can't use their model search and you can't just look around as you used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Is it power coated or painted ? A lot of bikes just have a painted frame.

I guess I actually not 100% sure. I just made an assumption. based on the color code it must be painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I doubt it's powder coated, more likely either painter or anodised if aluminium, what bike is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Probably painted alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

If you just want to stop rust (or corrosion if its aluminium) coming through then pick the closest colour match in your local halfords and pick up a stone chip repair kit which will include primer. If you want it to look like it did before you can get a good panel beater to colour match and spray paint it as a nixer for about 200 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Small tin of Paint and a bunch of cocktail sticks. Clean out the area make sure free of rust. Then just top it up with paint on cocktail stick. Dry. Top up dry top up until slighlty proud of surface. Light sand back with 2000 grit then give a quick spray of laquer.

Done

Advertisement