Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It is laughable because every action I pointed to is the action of 'big-government'.

Like most republicans/right wingers, you're drooling over these actions of big-government just because the actions tie into your ideology.

Just like on topic here, deciding what a woman does with her body is one of the most intrusive things a government can do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Fcuk me.

I never ever ever thought I'd say this about any topic whatsoever as we are usually polar opposites but I agree with Foxtrol and Overheal regarding this judgement.

It's certain that some States will ban abortion under any circumstances and that's not a good day for women's rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It was bound to happen eventually. Good to be in agreement for once

Wanna bet? Everyone knew for the last 2 months this was coming, where was the precipitous drop in polling numbers for the Republicans?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The US is a federal state. It has 20+ states that have a bigger population than that of the Republic of Ireland.

If you are going to criticise the US, unless that criticism is grounded in awareness that it is a federal system then you are being more than absurd, your posts are worthless nonsense.

Either you accept the principle that states (and Leitrim isn't a state) are equal for certain things in a federal structure, or you do not.

Ireland, with a fraction of Germany's population, is equal to it in many respects in the EU.

Leitrim cannot legislate for its own laws. It has never been a sovereign territory. New Hampshire has a fully functioning state government, courts and legislature and was once an independent colony which participated in a major war.

To compare an Irish county with a US State is absurd and is either being deliberately disingenuous or politically ignorant.

New York and New Hampshire are equal in the US Senate, but unequal in the House of Representatives and Presidential electoral college.

That's not going to change any time soon so let's stick to the realms of the politically possible, whichever side of the abortion debate you are on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Drooling...your gas!!!

So...do you think the Governor of Florida is banning Maths? Or removing CRT from childrens Math books or injecting political ideology into childrens math books ?

Please be specific because it has to be one of those 3!

Well that's a good start.

Abortion is a very contentious issue but nothing comparable to how many middle Eastern countries treat women or homosexuality

• Registered Users Posts: 82,475 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If I have to travel hundreds or thousands of miles and may still be potentially prosecuted by private citizens when I get home no this doesn’t defend the fact that in many states abortion will be outlawed and state residents will be watched for infractions across state lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

And you are saying that this shows how they.. the US.. differ from the countries in the Middle East, as if anyone would consider that such a good thing

This is the supposed 'Land of the Free' we are talking about here.

Thomas said that same sex marriage and contraception are next on their list... Who in their right mind would consider this a positive?

21-year-old male here who has simple ambitions in life where I just want to provide for my mom and sister and not hurt anyone else to do so. My chief paramedic sweated me in a dispatch call to a 24-year-old woman who complained of stomach pain. Turns out she reported a medication intake of mifepristone to eliminate early pregnancy on the same day that Texas pressed down on banning all kinds of abortions regardless of the trimester. My paramedic being the Texas piece of **** he is made me make a report on the issue for the prosecution of criminal charges against this poor single mother. I froze and gave a look to the mother who looked at me and begged me screaming not to "call the police or get her in trouble." I didn't know what to do and my paramedic just stared and waited for me to break. I didn't and I reported it. I might have just ruined this woman's life. I took off my badge in silence while crying at the station telling nobody and just leaving. My phone is exploding with notifications and I'm not answering anything. I want to kill myself for what I just did. I took an oath to help people with medical emergencies. We aren't required to report drugs but we have to report abortions? That's absolutely obscene. I will not be working as an EMT for this country until abortion is privatized. It should be a woman's choice, especially that goddamn early when the fetus doesn't even have a **** heartbeat yet.

• Advertisement

There is a stark difference between how women are treated in America and how they are treated by the Taliban.

If you can't see that, then I've no interest in talking further.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm very interested to see how the US military deals with this reality. Abortion cannot be provided by military doctors, and Tricare doesn't cover it except for pregnancies caused by rape, incest, or if the mother's life is at risk.

A huge number of military bases are located in states that will ban abortion, leaving female service members being forced to serve in dangerous circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Supreme Court will defend the right for people to murder school kids, while taking away the right to choose an abortion.

Whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Of course I can see that.

But don't you see that the fact you are even comparing the two, except in a joke, is pretty dire for a country that is the leader of the free world, or likes to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

Pretty sure that particular story is fake. Not that it can't happen but I feel people should stick to actual cases. Unfortunately there will be enough of them soon.

Again, not seeing how you think that equates to Liberalism. The last 40 years, if anything, have been highlighted by the socio-economic theory of trickle-down capitalism. That's not exactly liberal. 40 years ago, 1982, that was Ronald Reagan. There has been more Red than Blue government control in that span of time. And the Red party is not known for Liberalism, and the Blue Party is hardly known for actual Liberalism either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

When big government was telling people what to do with their bodies during the covid pandemic the other side of the aisle were delighted.

Yet another example of how both ends the political spectrum suffer from the same issues.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

It is suspected that change by the Supreme Court won't stop with the abortion issue. The lawyer Julie Kay told Emma Murphy that the decriminalisation of homosexuality is based on case law similar to Roe v Wade. In the 21st Century, I'm puzzled as to how even the fundamentalists in the Republican party would find a pretext for re-criminalising gay sex - and I don't think that the Bible would be sufficient as a pretext because the constitutional separation of church and state.

°°°°°

What was worst about the leaders of the country being up there celebrating is that most of them were publicly opposed to abortion previously, they go along with whatever is popular just like their predecessors did in the 80s because it's not about principles it's about votes.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Or when the inverse is true: claiming to be opposed eg. to same sex marriage to ensure you had contemporary votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭raclle

Mother of god please tell me you don't believe that crap

°°°°°

Same sex marriage was an even bigger landslide than the eight amendment referendum.

The only people who opposed it were a tiny minority of religious zealots and what I'd assume were much older people.

Nobody got a boost in votes at the next election for opposing same sex marriage.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

This shows the dangers of religion and how backward the USA has become in the last half century.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I find it quite amazing (and disheartening) how these things ebb and flow. A lot of people assume that progression works in one direction, they fight for rights which are then there to stay. Unfortunately that's not the case, society seems to have the capability to regress leaps and bounds in a very short period of time.

Overexaggerate much?

The Supreme Court have never defended the right for people to murder school kids.

Gun control is a problem in the US for sure, but when people start spouting crap about the Supreme Court defending the right for people to murder school kids, they may have valid gun control points but they lose all credibility because they are spouting sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd say the reaction is quite muted generally for where this is on the lib ownership scale (I reckon comfortably a 9 out of 10?, maybe even a 10)

If this was even the 90's or early 2000s there'd be serious protests. The left wing media are trying desperately to inflate reaction but not really working.

I guess most are too busy protesting on their iPhones.

°°°°°

OTT rhetoric is part for the course in these discussions.

Everyone could benefit from a nice deep breath.

Glazers Out!

To use a US parlance, t'wud be best if people spoke 'The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' but sadly that isn't the case.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. The ruling came out today, it's been out less than 12 hours, there are already demonstrations in major cities, there had already been standing demonstrations outside the court since the draft leaked in April. Major protests are already scheduled for every major city in the state tomorrow; Charleston's kicked off at 5 PM. Regarding the 'inflated reaction' there's no inflation required, every outlet from the left and the right is discussing this because it is already landmark without any hyperbole necessary. And the twitterverse, if you want a pulse on live reactions, had been trending all day on the abortion topic with variations of Griswold (the gay marriage decision), Roe, Senate, Congress, etc. alternatively trending throughout the day

I don't know what this lib ownership scale is but I'm sure it sounds great on truth social

Advertisement