Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Reading through that thread shows how it was mostly fake outrage by the left over Jan 6th. There's just been an attempted insurrection on a capital building on Arizona, as well as multiple other cases of violence including cops been stomped - they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Why would you go along with something that you knew to be incorrect? Pointing out your mistake is not having "a pop" at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ah knocking on windows, the tool of violent insuurectionaries the world over. I can just imagine them having this conversation before depolying the nuclear option

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'd ignore anything that poster says. He made it very clear that women don't have the right to medical care.

• Advertisement

Yes I'm sure it would have just stopped there. We all know how the " mostly peaceful " protests tend to go.

Maybe have a look at the clips from the "just knocking in the windows" and save the father ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Nobody wants to see the mainly peaceful protests of 2020 ever again.

It's time for the Left to change the approach and distance themselves from rioters and the mob

Maybe you should stop deflecting because nothing of the sort has even come close to happening.

How do you feel about a woman's right to medical care being taken away? You happy with that as long as you can stick it to the left?

My original post was about how this decision is good also because it was taken in the face of threats of violence. I'm not deflecting.

As for the right for abortion, we live in Europe where every country has its abortion legislation, in most cases thanks to a referendum. America instead had a Supreme Court rule that was imposed upon the people. That situation has now been rectified. What America will do next is up to them, every state will have to make its own law. This is how democracy works

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ideological debate nowadays is all about competing echo chambers so you need to be part of one, no matter what it says. Anyone in the centre just gets drowned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

What’s going on in America is sedition from the Democratic Party, the White House and democratic members of congress are encouraging violence and the overthrow of the Supreme Court

Very sad to see what America is becoming, where will it end?

I believe America as a nation will split, states will secede, and than war.

blue states union become no go zones with huge levels of crime and poverty.

Yeah, that's not the question I asked.

You know full well what many states are going to do because of this decision to just completely rip up 50 years of legal precedent. Nobody 'forced' anything on anyone. It simply allowed women the right to safe medical care, which will now be taken back from them. Do you believe that it is a good thing that states will now be taking this right to safe medical care away from women?

Or do you even care? Just tell the truth instead of trying to word vomit your way around it. It's a very simple question.

Is it really this dramatic or are you just spending too much time on Twitter? TBH it all sounds like a very bad dystopian film plot. Even if it were remotely likely states would soon pull up when they realise just how big the federal part is and that's before all the fun of managing their own financial systems and a new currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Clarence Thomas concurrence explicitly said that they will be reviewing rulings that protected the right to contraception, overturned bans on sodomy and introduced same sex marriage.

The logic used to overturn Roe v Wade applies to those other rulings.

He's the only one saying that for now and it's down to his obsession with natural law. One would assume someone needs to bring a challenge first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

So anyone can rock up to a healthcare facility and demand a procedure or a medication - no questions asked? FFS, I've heard it all. I've acknowledged that a woman giving reasons for an abortion can be a sensitive subject, so there should be a process to allow for anonymity on the data to be collected.

But you say it's no one's business - so fcuk learning anything from those women procuring abortion and in turn trying to help others to avoid the situations that drive demand for abortion.

You really don't give a hoot about women - abortion on demand and without limits for them, as long as it pisses off the conservatives, the right and the religious cohort. The more abortions the better. The women involved and the human life they destroy are merely canon fodder for scoring points in the great culture war. What a sad and empty train of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

'natural law' is just an intellectual fig leaf for old-school Catholic fanaticism

this from a man with an alleged former penchant for the works of Long Dong Silver...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

Don’t do twitter or Facebook lot anything like that

I used to live in America and have family in Boston New York and Chicago and the issues facing america today have been brewing a long time but since the 90s things have escalated

it’s not just about equality for many minorities, it’s about revenge and the centre ground is disappearing because of this

the same future faces Europe and Ireland as we go down the same route

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

theres something off about having to put peoples rights to a popular vote.

rights should never be contingent on the approval of the "majority"

GOP controlled states are rubbing their hands with glee now they can finally restrict abortion.

Of course this wont affect people of means as they will just travel to wherever they need but it will impact the poorer parts of the various states.

all this from the party of "small government".

what a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The same logic applies to the ruling on interracial marriage which he hypocriticaly isn't mentioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I wasn’t going along with something I knew was incorrect. I was just adjusting to use a shorthand.

Pointing out my mistake, not bothering to acknowledge I had described the procedure in question correctly previously and not challenging anyone but me for using a shorthand is you having a pop at me.

Glazers Out!

I'm sure you are aware that a lot of Americans feel very strongly about babies. You may think that abortion is a right, while others think it's murder.

Referendums are meant to give people the opportunity to express their opinion on things that are very divisive.

For the time being, women can still have an abortion until 8.5 months in California, which would be unthinkable of here in Europe

A lot of Americans feel very strongly about a fetus until it is born. After they are born they couldn’t give a flying f*ck.

Women accessing healthcare is a right. You can twist it whatever way you want but how it really is, if you don’t want an abortion then don’t have one.

Otherwise mind your own damn business.

I don't care what question you asked. My point wasnt about the right to have an abortion.

If the Left wants to change things they need to start working on how they present their demands. The threat of violence is clearly turning against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This decision isn't about women's health care ,it's about abortion provision. Only in a very tiny number of cases is abortion related to a woman's health, in such unusual circumstances, provision should be made for that.

I’m only asking if you believe stripping women of their rights to medical care is justified so you can just have a go at the libs for something that hasn’t even happened.

Its all very weird. Complete fantasy.

Its a sad reflection of reality if you believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

They call fetus' babies and children. I have yet to see anywhere offer child support for them so I am pretty sure they don't consider them to actually be babies or children. The poster above claims that they feel very strongly about a fetus until it is born which I would heavily disagree with. Republican states tend to have the worst maternity stats in the western world. I am going to go out on a limb and say anywhere that actually cared what happened during a pregnancy would have fixed that given the resources available to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

far right christian nutjobs legislating reproductive rights back to the stone-age

they talk about the "sanctity of life" but every measure to reduce abortions, like access to birth-control and proper sex-education are other things they want to restrict.

once the baby is born, fu*k you, you're on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

The next thing the red states will legislate to try to control is postal teriminatiin pills. 50% of terminiations in the US is using medication. In Ireland and UK, and probably most of Europe, your GP can prescribe these pills. From what I understand, in the US, women had to go to an abortion clinic to get these, and not their GP or another medical facility .. this is my understanding. And these abortion clinics are private, so costs come from insurance companies and private payments. I dont know if Medicare covered these clinics.

The FDA are saying that these approved pills are approved for all of the US. If you live in Texas, and a medical facility or charity posts you the pills from say New York, they cant control this, unless they scan every package and envelop going from one state to the other. But these red states can still make it illegal for the women to take the pills resulting in a termination. I read Biden has ordered his legal teams to look at the legality of postal pills under a federal system.

I had heard from an irish medical person, that before termination was legal in Ireland, that these pills were coming in from.charities and private medical services in Europe, and the Irish state coouldnt police them .. they were disguised as normal postal envelopes and packages. They believe this accelerated the decision to call a vote, as they knew if the pills are coming in (and very hard to prevent), the medicine needs to be regulated and women need to be medically supervised, or they risked another death or more on their hands.

It will be interesting to see how the idea of a postal pill pans out in the US.

• Advertisement

"Otherwise mind your own damn business "

This thread has been hijacked and descended into a farce . Again

Advertisement