Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What's fascinating is that people still claim that America is a great country.

It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

America is a great country but just has problems like every other country had. I do hope that the religous element do not get a futher grip on politics as they restrict womens and gay rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

how frequent is abortion at 8.5 months? and provide evidence please.

nobody is aborting that late unless there is something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Posters on boards.ie know more about the US constitution than our own.

Nobody in Missouri is worried about what Irish think and some could not find Ireland on a map.

A person could get shot by gardai in Galway and some unnamed chap in Detroit shot by police would get more attention

If you are worried about access look to Northern Ireland

people can care and take in interest in different things at the same time.

amazing huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, the lad in Galway is definitely up to no good! Detroit could well be a race thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Have only seen discussion around this take place in the context of women's rights. What about people with wombs rights? Do they suddenly not matter anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CardMagic

A lot of posters resorting to hyberbole immediately. You can't compare this to Taliban or a woman's right to vote.

There have been more than 60 million abortions in USA since Roe vs Wade and I find it hard to believe that is right. In the UK, 1 in 5 pregnancies end in abortion - again it feels hard for that not to be wrongm Equally concerning is how few babies with down syndrome or other deficiencies get born in countries that allow abortion - it feels a lot like discrimination.

I don't think the matter is black or white. Abortion is a thousand shades of grey usually. My main gripe is that no one seems to know the acceptable point for an abortion - 12 weeks which we have in Ireland feels totally arbitrary and I can see from a biological point of view why people believe there is a valuable life there at that point or earlier. After all, we were all taught that "all men were created equal with the right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness".

lol, im not a terf.

i fully support trans people.

try again.

Why have you persistently excluded them from this conversation then? All your posts refer to women only. Try again.

I would say that if you a woman in the states that will now have less rights than they did before you would be p!ssed off. Who likes losing rights, especially ones they had for 50 years? I guess the reference to the Taliban is because they so happen to share a lot of similar views with the American brand of religious fanatacism, evangelicals. It is also a mess as the supreme court has shown it can be politically compromised and in a few decades perhaps the democrats will fill it and change this ruling. The law should be the law no matter what the political or religious persuasion of the supreme justice is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We're talking about human life, do keep up.

Did adding the name of the pre-born human life to the memorial to the Dublin and Monahan Bombings sit well with you if that's your stance on what is human life?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CardMagic

I guess women only had those rights because of the persuasion of supreme court previously. The rights lost by women are also rights gained for the unborn, the right to life.

I think the religious angle is an unfair brush to paint all pro-lifers with. Some people just consider it a moral issue and believe a the unborn has a right to live.

I do agree that this matter being subject to the wim of the supreme court doesn't really make any sense. It should be up to the public. I don't happen to agree with the majority in this instance but it seems like a more fair method.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

Considering the faith of the two men it was in its fcuk

please link your posts on boards about the issue below please

same for all the others on here crying about the roe wade reversal

you won’t and it’s more likely that I will get banned for calling you out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Abortion has no mention in the American constitution, very similar to Ireland since the 36th Amendment was made.

Funny how one you support, the other you don't.

The EU dictating abortion legislation to Ireland was one of the reasons the Nice I referendum failed here.

Ireland like most of the US states just want to be able to legislate for abortion themselves.

The US SC ruling now allows for this. Both sides of the political spectrum should be celebrating this restoration of democracy.

But alas, the childish liberals are in uproar over something they can't seem to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The supreme Court handed the matter back to individual states for them to decide the terms and conditions of abortion. Many states will legalise right off the bat. The state politicians who don't may voted out down the line. Otherwise they will get voted in. At the end of the day it is down to the public not the supreme Court.. America is a democracy

• Advertisement

ah yeah woman who had rights before but will not now will not be celebrating but I get your point. It is slightly complicated by the fact that roe vs wade judgement was that abortion rights were in the constitution. I think both side cant be happy as this shows that the constitution can be interpreted in different ways by different justices depending on their own ideologies.

I would say there would be uproar if in the future democrat appointed supreme justices interpreted the well regulated militia line differently and decide gun rights should be reduced country wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nonsense that story was really widely covered in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A gerrymandered democracy so things remains as they suit those who can move people around. There is more than a hint there will be a look at same sex marriage and contraception. Sadly the elected folks in Texas, Georgia, Missoureh or even Michigan may not exercise a balanced rights-based approach in those areas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That argument leads down to multiple ethical rabbit holes. Should a terminally ill person be allowed kill themselves? It's their health, their body... yet most societies have taken that choice away from them. There's no 'right' to suicide in any country I'm aware of, those few countries which do allow it have allowed for it through active legislation.

The US courts are being asked here to rule on an ethical, not legal, problem. A large part of the population considers a fetus to be a life. Indeed, in California, it's sort of Shroedinger's life. If the wrong person kills a fetus, it's murder. If the right person kills a fetus, it's legal abortion. Even as late as the third trimester, though, it's still not a person for carpool regulations. At least the law is clear for each situation, even if the logic is tenuous.

It is not a single-sided decision, and even Justice Blackman's opinion in Roe made clear that they were trying to balance two competing interests. To quote from Roe, the State "has legitimate interests in protecting both the pregnant woman's health and the potentiality of human life". It's not purely about women's health or privacy, it was a balancing act, which is why the court came up with the three trimester legal categorisations. US Jurisprudence has traditionally deferred to legislators (and even the executive branch, though Chevron is starting to get rolled back) when absent any other direct guidance in caselaw or the Constitution precisely because the Courts don't think it's their place to resolve ethical matters like that. Yet the court decided for whatever reason that it had to.

Even once one goes beyond the ethical/moral questions of abortion, Roe is also an excellent example of the ethical question of "do the ends justify the means?". This is an argument which has been going for centuries, and isn't likely to be resolved in the next few months. Allowing for abortion through legislation (or Constitutional amendment, if you feel strongly enough about it) will get the same result through a method which has a much less shaky foundation. Otherwise, we have the argument also between people who want abortion however it is obtained, and those who want abortion but will only tolerate it through certain paths. Consider the path abortion took to become legal in Ireland as a template.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

People with wombs are women, that's who we have been talking about here all along

• Registered Users Posts: 45,525 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Thankfully we live in a progressive country free from these religious lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

it was not and it was barely discussed here, we all know why

there are posters on here who love bashing america for its policies, there level of interest and outrage depends on who is the deemed victim and who is the deemed perpetuator.

We all know it

• Advertisement

It's just confusing because the same posters that post regularly in "support" of trans issues are deliberately excluding them from this conversation. Just trying to understand why.

Does this affect trans people or not?

Advertisement