Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,049 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You're intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying in the hope of landing some sort of "gotcha", or hoping I'll give up and leave the discussion so you can see it as some sort of victory.

I'm only replying because the type of behaviour you're engaging in here is dishonest in the extreme and needs to be called out for what it is.

If you're sick of this discussion you can end it any time, but if you continue to misrepresent me I will continue to defend myself. The ball is in your court.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Another sensational misrepresentation that completely disregards facts and suggests you didn't actually read what was posted.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

There is no 'gothca', that happened long ago when you openly and repeatedly admitted that you're just making things up based on what you felt might have happened but didn't actually. I've quoted you repeatedly.

This is like trying to have a discussion with someone who is adamant it is a fact that their imaginary friend is real and therefore can be used in a comparison so I am very much happy to leave it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

°°°°°

What didn't happen?

Are you suggesting lefties didn't support the notion of vaccine mandates?

We know that vaccine mandates didn't happen, we also know who was supporting the idea of vaccine mandates and who would have backed them being introduced. This happened, it isn't made up so stop lying about it.

We also know that vaccine mandates did not make provisions for putting people in prison, which is something you stated on this thread repeatedly and is a complete and utter fallacy of that you have pushed for who knows what reason.

Here's a link to a study on the subject https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886922001659

Here's the abstract in it's entirety;

"Abstract

Mandatory and punitive vaccination policies, such as requiring vaccination certificates for public activities and firing employees who refuse vaccination, have raised considerable objections. With a sample of U.S. crowdsourced workers (N = 983), this study investigates how four ideologies–left-wing authoritarianism (LWA), right-wing authoritarianism (RWA), social dominance orientation (SDO), and libertarianism–explain vaccine acceptance and attitudes toward vaccine policies. Results show that LWA predicts higher vaccine acceptance and support for COVID-19 vaccine mandates and the punishment of unvaccinated individuals, whereas libertarianism and RWA show negative relationships. SDO is linked to opposition to vaccine mandates. This study underscores the role of specific ideological components in shaping attitudes toward vaccine policies while also contributing to the arguments that LWA and libertarianism have important implications for studying sociopolitical attitudes."

According to you I dreamt all of this up and I'm demanding you believe in my imaginary friend.

Unsurprisingly you stoop to slurs, ad hominem is your level of debate.

Your refusal to accept reality in service of your favored sociopolitical ideology is truly staggering.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Would be interested to see what her style of writing will be like. Breyer was probably the most polite of the liberal justices which didn't always make for interesting reading of his opinions or even his dissents.

Who do we like reading at the moment, actually? I'll always read Roberts, because I think his summations of the case are well presented and very accessible, and I include his concurrance for Mississippi in this.

Sotomayor is just a brilliant writer, especially in dissent. Her ability to completely dismantle the conservative side of the courts arguments to the point where she's actively taking the piss of how dumb some of them are is an art in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Nice 4 women and 2 people of colour. getting less and less old white guy that people have been complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Yes a proud moment in history knowing you were appointed because of your gender and skin colour. What a remarkable achievement to look back on in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They're monsters. And 100% guaranteed they're staunch defenders of gun rights.

Spot the contradictory positions....

"You can't have an abortion because anything that takes away the life of an innocent is wrong even if means a 12 year old rape victim has to carry the rapists baby to term, is morally wrong and cannot be tolerated."

"You can't ban guns because people need to have freedom even if that sometimes costs innocent lives"

"You can't ban guns because I have the right to defend my property, taking my gun means someone can steal from me and I can't protect myself. The risk of innocents dying from accidental or deliberate discharge is a price worth paying so I can defend myself."

"Women and children do not have the right to bodily autonomy and cannot get an abortion even if there is a significant risk to their health and wellbeing because the unborn's rights are more valuable than theirs"

"Women who get pregnant should be responsible for the life they bring into the world, if they don't want to get pregnant, they shouldn't have sex"

"I should not be expected to take even the simplest precautions to ensure my weapon is locked away safely when not in use if an accident happens, sh1t happens"

The USSC have ruled that the EPA can't regulate emissions from power plants...

Noam Chomsky said about a decade ago that the Republican party are obsessed with causing the end of human civilization.

The GOP are 21st century NAZI party. Pure evil.

• Advertisement

Owning the libs justifies anything.... what a terrible way for us to descend into a new dark age

• Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And not a hypothetical scenario "fact" either. That'll blow some minds when faced with reality and actual facts.

Context... cartman gets taken in by an obvious scammer who sold him pubes for cash. Instead of realising he was an idiot, Cartman has Scott's parents killed and made into chilli and feeds Scott's parents to him while humiliating him in front of his idols...

Doing this in real life would result in Cartman spending the rest of his life in a mental institution, probably in solitary confinement, but instead he's a hero to the lunatics who are prepared to burn the world to pieces as revenge for being caught in a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Who do we like reading at the moment, actually? I'll always read Roberts, because I think his summations of the case are well presented and very accessible, and I include his concurrance for Mississippi in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In the last 10 years we have moved away from the union of church state, eg we have divorce, gay marriage, lgbt rights, meanwhile the USA is going backwards, religious groups can set up schools and demand the state will pay for it at least the same amount as would go to the local public school, the whole idea of separation of church state is under attack by the supreme Court. Ireland is now a modern diverse country with

Laws against discrimination. There's a long discussion on YouTube, this week in google, as to how company's Google or any other company's can help employees to have privacy and be helped to travel to get medical procedures in other states

If police go after social media records company hr data isp telecom phone data is there any way for women employees to have privacy if they wish to travel to another state for medical reasons

As we saw in the past it can be a problem if most of the local schools or hospitals are owned by the church those schools will be run in the ethos of the church most people can't go to expensive private schools that are miles way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Three, but Americans tend to consider hispanics PoC (Much to the amusement of Antonio Banderas after his oscar nomination).

Interestingly, it's an old black guy that seems to be causing much of the... discourse of late. I suspect most conservatives would love a court filled with folks like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ireland is now a modern diverse country with laws against discrimination.

I'm reminded of a quote from Mr. Wolfe in Pulp Fiction...

94% of Irish taxpayer-funded primary schools are controlled by churches. In these schools, religious discrimination is legal and is a daily fact of life for both teachers and pupils. Kowtow to the church or suffer the consequences.

RCC in particular knows that it has zero relevance in Irish society if the schools go, so they are talking nonsense about inclusion and diversity while holding on with a death grip to the schools. In fact they recently lobbied the government here to be allowed, in return for divesting control of a few failing schools, to make the rest "more Catholic" and be allowed to again exclude non-catholics from schools funded by taxes.

You wouldn't get this sort of nonsense in the worst parts of the US, or in any other first world country.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Worse things than being Catholic, imagine being a screaming lefty and not being able to access the mental services or psychiatric help that they desperately need. While the world burns and continues to indulge the very people that need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

For argument sake, people who go to Church schools have different values and views. It's not unlikely to believe that they may not have this urgency for an abortion law.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Agreed. It's why they should be disallowed as SCOTUS nominees. Their loyalty isn't to the Constitution.

• Advertisement

Do you mean they should not have their values? I don't think you can force people to believe in other than what they chose to believe.

Catholics tend to form families and have babies, they are not in favor of abortion. That's how the chose to live and should be respected for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No rest for the wicked, as SCOTUS continues its assault on Democracy. Looking to give State Assemblies the sole power to run elections, and thru that determine the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"I will be putting forth a nominee next week. It will be a woman." - DJT, Fayetteville, North Carolina, September 2022

Almost everyone in Ireland who was of voting age in 2018 went to a church school. 66.4% of those who voted voted to legalise abortion in Ireland.

my post was in responce to a comment about American Church schools, not Irish school

Do you think American church schools have special magical powers Irish ones don't?

56% of catholics in the US are pro-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most people in Ireland had little choice go to the local school which was usually owned by the Catholic Church . I think maybe 10 per cent of people in Ireland are true Catholics eg the believe in the faith, they go to mass every week , they follow the 10 commandments, when people had a choice to vote for gay marriage and abortion most people voted yes.

America is going the other way, the supreme Court wants to country to turn into a state that

has laws that discriminate in favor of Christian church's , this will of course result in discrimination against minoritys, Muslims, Jews, less rights for women. The whole concept of church state separation is under attack

The Catholics on the church are ready to ignore all legal precedents in areas that involve women's rights gun rights and religion

Older people in Ireland will remember when most Irish laws were all designed to align with the church when the church had more power and influence

If rules or regulations about state voting are changed it will be likely to favour republican Politicans

Catholics families are not forced to send their kids to Catholics schools if they don't want to

it's fair that Pro-life Catholics can choose the education they find more appropriate for their kids

• Advertisement

The Supreme Court doesnt not want any of the above. They barely cancelled a sentence from 50 years ago.

Now the states will decide what's best, same as we have in Europe. Only nobody is complaining about it

Advertisement