Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying online with AIB card - OAP needing help

• 24-06-2022 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My 90 yr old Dad needs me to buy some shopping online with my help. I sit with him, use his card, but when it comes to payment stage it says NOT AUTHORISED. Of course, we assume that is because his mobile phone is not set up against his card. He went to the AIB branch and they said they cannot set it up, he needs to be online. I wasnt with him unfortunately. Does anyone know if that is the case - must he be set up with 24 hour banking to avail of the ability to buy online with his card? He doesnt have web access to his account or the app and that wont be possible. It is not enough to link to his mobile phone and get a text each time he purchases? He couldnt really understand what AIB were saying to him so I thought I would try here before I go to the branch myself on his behalf.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Spocker

This will work, but you'll need access to a phone to receive a code (by SMS iirc) https://aib.ie/secure-internet-shopping/password-for-online-purchases

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why not just buy the stuff for him and let him pay you. Probably a lot less stress for him.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

AIB used to allow secure authentication via SMS but, for reasons best known to themselves, they removed that option so now you need to be set up with their mobile app for it to work or else you can't use your AIB cards for online payments.

By contrast, Curve and my local CU both give the option of selecting either SMS or app for authentication of each transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

Because SMS cards can be cloned and AIB are doing us all a favour by investing in technology to ensure our funds are kept secure. Quite sound of them in my opinion.

Advertisement