Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car tracker - International LTE networks

Options
  • 25-06-2022 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi!

I purchased a Firstech Drone X1-LTE tracker that integrates with the new security system for my car, costing me a small fortune as you'd expect.

Basically, they advertise everywhere "unlimited range, any network, remote start from anywhere". Come to find out after installing that "anywhere" actually means "anywhere in the US, else sucks to be you". The little amount of info that support would offer was simply, its a regular old AT&T sim (not global or IOT) and it wont work in Ireland. Tested it and of course it doesnt (AT&T, 48 & Three network sims)

So, not being confident in their support Ive been doing some research. They seem to sell US-only and Canada-only versions of the X1 tracker, mine seeming to be the US one as it came with an AT&T sim card. It requires a monthly subscription to Firstech in order to use the service, this includes the data plan. So since none of the US 4G bands line up with ours, how (if even possible) can this work here?

Ive learned about the existence of international/global IOT sim cards. Im thinking might one of these from AT&T work (god knows about the roaming charges ugh)...

If it would then there is the problem of how might that tie in with the Firstech subscription, possibly doubling the monthly charges but might not be too bad.

Interesting note: They also sell Firstech branded Verizon sim cards for when AT&T signal is poor so does that mean there could be something special about the Firstech branded sim cards, that only they can be used?! - I didnt think that was possible, could just be a money grab and theyre just regular cards

Ripping it out and sending it back is a massive headache as their refusing to play ball and Ive already been murdered for customs charges so I cant even imagine trying to get another system shipped in

Hoping the more knowledgable can share guesses as to the best solution here

Thankies xxx 🤣

Advertisement