Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Eagles Gig last night. June 24th

Options
  • 25-06-2022 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

I'm not an eagles fan. I know two of their songs very well. Too well in fact, as I am a musician ( guitar and piano). So I'm commenting on the gig from a musicians perspective. I'm 50, I've toured with and supported musicians from Imelda May to Deacon Blue, Duke Special and Crowded House.

Last nights gig completely blew me away. I have never, ever heard a sound quality like it. I was about 10 feet from the stage and I can tell you, there wasn't a backing track nor pitch corrector to be seen. Joe walsh was incredible. In fact, everyone on that stage played to within an inch of their lives.

There were at least40000 people in the Avuva last night and we all witnessed something really special.

The riggers had rigged speaker stands and speaker trees everywhere, even way up along the roofline.

I took a walk right down to the back and I noticed no discernable decrease in quality no matter where you sat.

Clearly, more attention was given to sound quality rather that effects or lights.

Again, it was astounding. In fact, the difference between the sound for the support Little Big Country ( who were, I have to admit, not good), and the Eagles themselves.

I took some detailed videos and pics of the Eagles gear, amps, guitar setup etc and, despite what some may say, there was no trickery here. Everything was played live. Christ, I was moved to tears a few times. Especially during Hotel Calf. Rocky Mountain Way and Desperado.

I've never heard anything like it. You could hear every single instrument clearly at CD quality.

An astounding gig and whoever was mixing and EQ'ing the desk deserves the highest of accolades.

Incredible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Sounds incredible, would loved to have seen it, love Don Hendly also, some great songs, is he still with the Eagles OP, I know he went his one way at some stage 🤔

I've a close friend, in her early 60"s WhatsApp'd me yesterday, heading to the concert, hired a limo, 6 of them like teenagers, all excited, fans for years, haven't heard my friends review yet (likely still recovering 😂)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It was without a shadow of a doubt the best sound I've ever heard at an outdoor gig, crystal clear, CD quality but 100% live, I bailed during the last song and you could still hear it clear as day halfway up the road.

Clearly they're a group of world class musicians playing at the ridiculously high level, and it's a gig that'll live in the memory for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Have to agree. Little Big Town were god awful and the sound was piss poor for them, I wasn't hopeful of a good night but the sound for the Eagles was by far and away the best for any stadium gig I've ever been to. Possibly just any gig at all which is some achievement, and I was up in the premium tier at around the halfway line.

I wouldn't be a massive Eagles fan but know the hits like everyone else and I was there to hear Joe Walsh's solo stuff as much as the Eagles tunes. They absolutely blew me away, one of the best gigs I think I've ever been to and I really was not expecting that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Joe Walsh's facial expressions are sometimes priceless

They just wandered on from the back of the stage, no fuss, and got on with it. They are arguably some of the "smoothest operators". A little bit of chat, but nothing to get in the way of the music, which shows 50 years of refinement. As they said at the start, " no fireworks, no wind machines, just a bunch of guys with guitars"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Saw them tonite in Hyde Park. Would echo every word you say. They were sensational and had the crowd in a trance. Joe Walsh - what a man. A genuine rockstar, so much charisma and humour, he looked and sounded fantastic. Deacon Frey (I thought he'd left?) has really matured and grown into the shoes of his father. It was hard to believe Don and Joe are the age they are. Setlist same as Dublin just reordered a bit.

Ditto the Stones who played last night, a very different show to Eagles but professionals still at the top of their game. I don't know what Jagger is ingesting aged 79 but we all need a shot of it. Weirdly, "Satisfaction" sounded particularly biting, potent and fresh last night. Not a song I've ever cared much for but last night it sounded like a brand new track, mighty and powerful.

What a weekend for music all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

i saw them in the 3Arena in 2019. In fact, it was the last gig I was at. They were super then so not surprised they put on a great show on Friday night. Well worth the ticket price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

if you missed the above gig..... try and catch this outfit at a venue near u soon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I was a bit apprehensive about this one as my Dad didn't have the greatest review of their Hell Freezes Over gig in Ireland back in the early 90's but they were absolutely fantastic. I'm guessing that Deacon Frey (or his agent) has realised the paydays of appearing at The Eagles gigs are bigger than anything he can currently draw on his own merit!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭_H80_GHT

Seems like there's a very good reason they sounded so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Kilteragh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well it definitely wasn't last night, just so ya know.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement