Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partner has temper/Smashed up property

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,075 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

look after yourself jimbob, an awful situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Definitely check in ASAP with your mental health team for support.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jimbob77

Thanks Purple Mountain.

I am constant contact IE once a week as this situation is extremely stressful

I am going to leave the hostel as it is too rough and stressful. I will buy a one man tent and try find a field or wood to pitch it in.

Hi, I posted a few days ago about a troubled relationship I was in with my girlfriend. I decided it was best to leave.

However, it was her house and once I broke it off I had nowhere to go so I stayed in a homeless hostel last night that the council put me in. I will stay here again tonight. However it is rough and stressful and I am going to check myself out tomorrow and hope to buy a cheap tent in Halfords and then find a field or wood to pitch it in.

Does any body have any suggestions as to what to do?

I don't have family to go to

• Advertisement

The council said the only place they could put me was this homeless hostel and I really can't stay here

Don't go under a Bridge. The likes of these type of bridges are a meeting point for druggies with sharpies. be very very very careful about where you pitch your tent.

• Administrators Posts: 14,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@Jimbob77 no need to start a, second thread. I've merged them.

Ok thanks

Can you reach out to the mental health team and ask can they give you respite for a while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Jimbob ,anywhere is better than a tent. Where are you going to put it? You'll be moved on pretty sharpish.

• Administrators Posts: 14,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Jimbob77, is there any work you would be capable of doing? Have you ever worked?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Your local authority will/should have a homeless section in their housing department. Whatever local authority area you are in look up the number, ring and ask for an appointment. Tell them your situation and ask about the help that they can offer, including accessing your local employment office and social welfare payments. Do not sleep rough, put everything you can into avoiding that- it is not the solution.

I know you say your local authority told you about the shelter but that would have been an emergency stop gap solution. This is the part where you look for more or better options.

Yes the council put me here as they said there is nowhere else. They said I have to apply for HAP and then find my own place on DAFT etc.

I am disability allowance 208. HAP is 700 a month. Not a hope of getting anywhere for 700. Even 1200 a month in Kildare.

And most landlords prefer not to take HAP when they can simply get a tenant who will pay cash or DD.

The council put families in b and b or hotels but there must be a child. I am in my own so the hostel is the only place they will put me but I cannot stay here. I'll have to get a tent

Make an appointment and go and see them. There are all kinds of accommodation available from the local authority. HAP is not the only option. You have absolutely nothing to lose by going to see them. Do not sleep rough. A toxic environment with your parents is a better option than that.

Take time away from boards, and put all that energy instead into finding accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Think about this for a second. From your other post you have been in a dark place before. Don't make rash decisions.

One person in the council said this to you, find somebody else. In the hostel, is there a social worker or have you a case worker. Talk to them explain you need some help ask nicely be grateful, get the right person and they will help you out of this. Talk to the simon community or any other charity like them, SVSP......

As soon as you go off into the woods or filed with your tent you are off their raydar and gone, you won't get anymore help. Try to get to know some of the other people in the hostel so that somebody is looking out for you.

Apply for HAP at some point you'll need it and best get the ball moving now. It also shows you are engaging with their services and following their advice.

Yes I was in a very dark place before and with all the stress I am heading back there

Have you called the samaritans or other agency?

Mod Note

@Girl Geraldine I've deleted your last post as its of no constructive help to the OP and in fact could only worsen their situation.

Please read the forum charter before posting in PI again

HS

I have called the samaratins and my doctor but they can't help my situation.

The social worker put me in touch with the homeless section of the council who then put in me in a homeless hostel.

Pointless

• Advertisement

The Samaritans cannot help you re your accommodation, but they can help talking about your heading to a 'very dark place'.

As for accommodation, in the past when your girlfriend smashed something against the wall you felt able to go to your parents house. Why not now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Go back to the social worker tell them you are in hostel but you don't feel safe, is there anything that they can do or suggest. They sent you to the council to get help, but your aren't getting the help. You need see if the social worker can pull some strings. I've been through alot with both my parents health and if it's one thing I've learned is be persistent, keep making calls, when they say sorry can't help you ask them OK thanks for trying but is there anywhere else you can think of or somebody else to call.... be nice but keep asking. Something will come up

Do you have siblings, an aunt or uncle, cousins, a neighbour etc who you can turn to?

Pick up the phone and reach out to someone you trust.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone.

I suppose that is why most people end up in this situation

Mod Note

Jimbob, I'm going to close your thread there, for two reasons. You mention heading to a dark place mentally and getting in touch with the Samaritans, which of course is a good idea you should be leaning on them. But it highlights that your issue is beyond the scope of what Personal Issues is for.

Secondly, I think leaving the thread open is distracting you from going and solving your situation. You need to put all your efforts into finding accommodation for yourself instead of replying on here.

So I'm going to close the thread, and strongly urge you to follow advice above regarding your social worker and local authority. In addition here are a list of organisations that may be able to help you. Please reach out to them

Simon community

Focus Ireland

Threshold - though I appreciate you are not a tenant they can offer advice on Housing Services.

All the best

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement