Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portable internet

Options
  • 26-06-2022 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Excuse my terminology if i get this wrong but a family from South Africa have just arrived into a holiday home here in Ireland and the house has no WIFI. One of the adults need to sit an online exam and Im trying to find a solution for them.

As its an exam going to a local business like a cafe or library will be too distracting so trying to see if theres such a thing as portable internet/router?

As they are on a roaming phone plan hotspoting is also out of the question.

Any solution?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

It is possible to buy a sim on a monthly contract which will give you 100gig of data for a month for €12 . It can be used to hotspot your phone if your phone is sim free. try the 48 network.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Great discription, portable Internet 😁, I'm kidding.

Mobile WiFi is available but you've got to check coverage in the Area. My sense would be 3 probably have the best coverage in remote locations. You may not have the time to check various networks so I'm just recommending 3 from my experiences.

You'll hear mention of prepay but it's expensive. Far better if you could get a sim only plan (30 day contract). I'd recommend if time was on your side to purchase a mobile WiFi device sim free but you'd likely have to go on line for those. You can purchase mobile WiFi units at network stores but keep in mind they are locked to specific networks. If you've time go on line and purchase one sim free. You can also purchase more expensive ones (Routers) but not necessary.

If you don't want to go through all of this, if you have a spare sim free, Quality phone, you could just get a sim and use Hot Spot feature but I'd not recommend this for prolonged use.

So this is the Journey

A. Check coverage (if times allows)

B. Don't get hung up on 5g (4g fine)

C. Purchase portable WiFi device that uses Sim Card , preferably sim free (€80 approx), routers over (€130) are better but expensive.

D. Get a sim only deal (€30 per month) , you can go prepay but expensive) if going sim only, remember to cancel.

Good luck 😏

Your looking for a device similar to this

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement