Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've just found a mini Xmas pudding in the press

• 26-06-2022 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭

I know there's an individual custard in the fridge...

I may dig out the Spotify Xmas playlist later

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

That reminds me, ive a dozen mince pies in the freezer in the shed... as we're at half way it's time to defrost some of them methinks!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How long does the puddin hold for i've a sealed one in the press from xmas.

I’d go by the best before date and maybe risk a month or two beyond. I have a small individual homemade one in the fridge since nov. I’m waiting for himself to disappear fo a few days so I can indulge 😇 I don’t intend sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We found one in the back of one of the presses about a month ago. It a few weeks out of date, which wouldn't bother me however the OH is a stickler for things like that so gave it to my Dad. He said it was lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Most of the shop bought puddings are matured for around 18 months, so in my mind an extra few weeks (or months!) won't do them any harm. Unless something has mould on it, I'd have no problem eating it!!

• Advertisement

We've discussed this in here previously, my opinion is that if the pudding is within a few couple of months of the BB date & is packaged in a sealed foil container or suchlike if I open it & it hasn't turned green or mouldy or suchlike I'd chance eating it... if it tastes fine, rock on.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭tscul32

Puddings are self preserving as long as they're properly pickled 🥃🥃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Jude13

I made a massive one last Christmas and it has been sitting at room temp in a bowl tied with baking paper and foil. I am awaiting the in-laws visit around Halloween as I can't attack a pudding that size on my own. I will cry if there is mould on it.

Thoughts and prayers for your monster pudding 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Is it wrapped in the bowl in baking paper? It should be fine then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Jude13

It has two layers of paper, then a foil cover tied with twine. Made with my own fair hands.*

*Probably mean its manky but it will be very alcoholy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

It'll be perfect then! I had one last year that was in the press for a good year - be grand!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It'll be delish by Halloween! 😁🤞

Save as houses mate... my mum used to bake 2 or 3 of them each year like that (full of booze) and they were still well being eaten come autumn, she used to joke that she'd start making new ones before the old ones had been eaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't cry, cut off any mould (there probably won't be any) and if the rest smells and looks ok eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jcon

once its covered it should be fine.. you'll know after first bite !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I made my first Christmas pudding last Christmas and it turned out well, I thought, but then I forgot about it and only opened it in like April/May and it was all mouldy.....I didn't have an awful lot of alcohol in it though so that could be why. I don't think I'm going to go to the trouble of making one this year - just stick with the Christmas cake. Any suggestions for a good shop bought Christmas pudding? My dad likes a bit of pudding and a family friend used to always make us one but this man is 91 now, so he's given up making them!!

We've gotten them in Lidl the last few years and they've been delicious. I get their stollen too and that's Christmas in a wrapper as far as I'm concerned so started trying their other Christmas foods and none have let us down so far.

Post edited by DvB on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

I ate it BTW. It was delicious & I don't regret a thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good for you.

Listen up folks BB is best before after that trust your own senses.

Advertisement