Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from eir to Digiweb broadband and VOIP phone services

Options
  • 27-06-2022 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

For cost reasons €65 v €45 pm, I am considering switching from eir FTTC where I have broadband and PSTN phones to Digiweb where I would have a Fritz!Box 7430 router.

I like the added functions in the 7430 but disappointed that it does not have 5GHz WiFi (only 2.4GHz) and has 100Mbps rather than 1Gbps LAN both of which are a step down from even the old eir F2000 router I have for years.

What are your thoughts on changing to Digifone for BB and VOIP instead of the traditional PSTN phone service ?

I expect the handoff from the eir FTTC to Digiweb happens in the local exchange. How good is the Digiweb BB speed and capacity after the local exchange ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Digiweb will sell you an upgraded router for a small fee, or you might even be able to get their Sales team to throw in the upgraded model (e.g. 7530 with gitabit LAN and 5GHz WiFi) free of charge if you explain your requirements.

I switched from PSTN to VOIP with Digiweb years ago and it was seamless, they even sent the updated configuration straight to the router. From there it's as simple as either plugging in your landline or pairing a DECT phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

Thanks Trant - can I ask if you get caller id through to the DECT phones and to the old style phone when you use VOIP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

I can only answer for DECT phones, but yes, caller ID works just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdstck

Hello

did you make switch from eir to digiweb

if so how do you find their broadband compared with eir. We have eir at the moment and have no problems but looking to switch because of costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

I switched 2 months ago and have no issues. I had FTTC VDSL broadband and traditional pstn landline and opted to drop the landline using VOIP instead. Only issue might be that alarm system monitoring might not work without the pstn landline. Digiweb normally supply a 7430 modem/router for VDSL FTTC connections but this router not have 5GHz wireless. If you are changing, it is worth pushing for a 7530 if 5GHz wireless is important for you.

Broadband speeds are the same as with eir and the 7530 modem/router is good for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. My VDSL connection is 100Mbps and I get 40 to 90 Mbps on 2.4GHz and 80 to 95 Mbps on 5GHz depending on the device. 

• Advertisement
Advertisement