Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus nightmare

Options
  • 27-06-2022 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

Me and my family are stuck in Amsterdam at moment Aer Lingus have canceled our flights twice now, now they have booked us too flight to Dublin via Heathrow. 2hrs between connecting flights. I don’t think this isn’t enough time between T5 and T2, airport recommends 90 minutes, this doesn’t include security check , as anyone done this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I have made a T5 to T2 at LHR. 2 hours will be enough.

There is a bus that brings you directly between the terminals airside. It takes an underground tunnel between the terminals. It was very efficient when I did it. Just follow the connection signs.

Depending on where you pull up in T5 you go to the main T5 part and then follow the purple flight connections signs and down an escalator to a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Even if it’s not enough and you miss the connection, you will be in LHR with a lot more options on to Dublin.

not ideal obviously but I’d do it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

2hrs is fine, you'll have pots of time. The buses are very frequent and its about 10 - 15 minutes on the bus itself. Security can take a while but with 2hrs I can't imagine you'll have any problems at all. If you do, its their problem and they'll pop you on the next LHR - Dublin flight - likely only an extra hour away.

There are Aer Lingus desks in the terminal building airside, so go to them if you're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I was transferring from T5 to T2 last night, it was a nightmare , just one security check point and they were ridiculously slow, everyone was trying to jump the queue and tensions were high. You might make it within 2 hours but just get to the security check point asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

What time was that? I did a T3 to T2 transfer around 4.30pm today and sailed through in no time at all. Literally no one else at T2 security other than the staff (but as you say, only operating one lane).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭SNNUS

It was around 5pm on Tuesday afternoon, took an hour to clear and a lot of aggression as people were missing flights. Guess you can be unlucky and lucky at the moment until security staffing is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I used fly back from Luxembourg via Heathrow before. T5 to T2 also with a 75 minute turn around. I always made it bar once but thats because there was a fight on the aircraft and we were delayed over a hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

Seems to be a complete lottery at the moment as we were at similar times of day. Have been fortunate in never having had an issue with transfers into T2 from any of the other terminals in the past (mainly pre-Covid); and have made several with less than an hour between (a delayed) arrival and the scheduled EI departure. Never plan on doing a sub 60 min transfer though…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Was a nightmare in end but the 2 hr transfer would have been plenty of time but for the problems we had , only 3 of us made the flight my son missed the flight because he's bag was not transferred on to Dublin in was still in terminal 5, we were in terminal 2 waiting to board the flight to Dublin at time , he insisted on going back to T5 to collect bag because his college work was it in, so they booked him in on next flight, he didn't have a clue where he was going to get bag back through security then back to T5 then back to T2 and check in again, apparently he got a train back to T2!.

when we checked in Amsterdam British Airways they wanted to charge us for all the baggage i explain i have all ready paid Aer Lingus for bags, they said but you didn't pay us , i said Aer Lingus have transferred us on to you, this is where the problem with transferring our bags to final destination Dublin she seem to be confused how to do this, i knew at that time something was going to go wrong, so eventually we got checked in and made our way to security, big queue, after about 15 minutes in the queue my son had the boarding pass's and said dad i have no boarding pass , i said we must have with have 4 pass's , we do dad but we have 2 in your name none for me, he was right when i checked them all, my son took the pass back through queues (wrong way) he jumped over turnstile got back to check in, got her to reprint boarding pass , he then go back start at beginning of security Queue , by this time we way ahead, so we had to wait for him on other side, he ended up missing his flight anyway because of the bag, i told him to leave bag let Aer Lingus sort it out getting it home to us, but he was afraid he would never see it again, so after 2 cancelation's and this.

It was not a great flying experience at all. must say my son done very well getting the boarding pass sorted and retrieving his bag, there is more to it then this but would make a very long story.

Post edited by SCOOP 64 on

Advertisement