Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get data fir holiday in us

• 27-06-2022 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

What is the best option for getting SIM card with data for use in us while on holiday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Three Internet with Legs from Amazon UK. If you buy the 24gb version it will last 2 years. 35GBP at the moment on discount. Works in over 70 destinations across the world.

Have a proper read through of the Q&A on Amazon so that you fully understand things such as the fair use policy etc. eg: you won't be able to use 24gb for your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

If your phone supports esim checkout this service- https://www.airalo.com/united-states-esim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I never knew this but if you’re on Eir or GoMo or any network that supports wifi calling when roaming and own an iPhone ( i don’t think it works on android) you can avoid the 1.99 per min phone calls.

When your Airalo data esim is activated and you manually select your main sim to a network that doesn’t have a roaming agreement( like Verizon) you get no service. You’ll then get “ wifi calling” through your airalo data sim.

I’m not surprised Vodafone doesn’t allow wifi calling abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

What I done when I went to the US was got a THREE uk sim and topped it up with £20 and then bought the package that was worth the same(All calls,texts and unlimited data in the uk) and that also had Go roam option that gave me 12GB roaming data (https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming/United-States#payg)

Difficulties I found was topping up...I needed a UK credit or debit card to top up...Couldn't use a irish card. What i done was got a top up voucher in a shop across the border in NI. (Live close to the border so wasn't difficult to get)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

All the providers here (I think) include free roaming when you use your Irish phone in the UK. And vice versa.

Question: if you are using your Irish phone in the UK, can you dial EU numbers without incurring roaming charges? Or is the free roaming confined to only Irish & UK numbers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement