Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speeds by county - any data?

Options
  • 28-06-2022 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to get data on broadband speeds at the county level, specifically county Galway.

I am trying to see whether this benchmark/outcome has been met: "min broadband speed of 30mbs to very household by 2020"

I am somewhat familiar with ADSL / VDSL / FTTH.

I think the answer is no, as plenty of rural houses have copper DSL, and do not have access to VDSL FTTC yet, is that correct?

(1) If a rural house has a copper telephone line, but is far from the exchange, is it possible that they simply can't get any broadband?

(2) Or can every house with a copper line, no matter where the house is, get some type of DSL broadband? If so, what is the minimum speed?

I know the NBI is working to provide fibre connections to all areas not commercially viable. I see that Galway has 39,551 premises in the intervention area.

(3) Does anybody know if NBI provide county-level data on % connected or passed so far?

(4) I suppose if I consider all broadband, fixed and mobile, that would alter the answer?

I welcome any comment / info.

Advertisement