Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Insured after a gap?

Options
  • 28-06-2022 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I have a question about getting insured after a gap. I had a 2nd learner permit 8 years ago, moved home to a place with plenty public transport and family so I let my licence lapse and didn't sit my full test. That was in 2014. I did drive and had my own car with good experience.

So fast forward 8 years, I now need to get my full licence for work. I started over and got my permit, have to wait 6 months to do my test in August. I'm currently doing my EDT and the instructor usually transfers to the learners car after the first two sessions. I bought a small car thinking that makes sense to get me comfortable in my own car before the test.

I can't get a quote from a big insurer because my driving experience is over 2 years and I would need 3 years as named driver for them to quote me. Not even adding a family member with a clean history and full licence for 18 years and they already hold a policy with them. 😟

So before I waste my time doing more quote enquiries, has this happened to anyone else? If so what can I do?

I am thinking that I park up the car I just bought, until I have a full licence and ask a family member to put me on as named driver, and borrow their car for the remainder of the EDT and to use for the test..then go seeking insurance once I have the full licence.

If anyone could advise something else I'd appreciate it, like another insurance company that maybe took you on in the same situation.

Many thanks in advance (also I've no intention of driving alone before I get the full licence, I need it for employment so I'm not taking any chances on getting points or anything like that)

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

With insurance there's no alternative but to call all the companies and brokers you can find, then compare the policies for the one which suits you best. Getting insurance on your own when you can't drive alone is going to be a problem with all the companies.

If the car isn't worth too much you could "sell" it to a family member and get them to insure it and add you as a named driver. Then when you pass "buy" it back and insure it yourself. This will add 3 owners to the car so only do it if the car is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fiona42022

Thanks for your reply, I understand its difficult but a learner with no previous experience who can't drive alone would actually get insurance faster I think. My nephew did, first policy and he didn't need 3 years as a named driver.

There must be some extra risk with my gap? That's what it's all about after all, risk yet I drove for 4 years on clean policies, no points and saw my policies through, it surely should count for something?

The passing ownership thing, not interested in that it's fraud and illegal you know.

I will keep calling..just got a bit surprised that one of the big ones refused and explained why to me but it's bizarre. I'd understand if I had points or accidents and claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Ring AXA, Gmib brokers and possibly 123.ie but with 123 you'll need to have a tracker/GPS unit fitted. Boxymo could be an option but read their reviews first.

Online instant quote forms are created for certain low risk cars and drivers. With no experience you won't get an online quote.

Thanks Micah, I forgot to mention I'm 41 years old so this is really frustrating for me, I only started driving at 26 first time around.

When you mentioned the GPS box it made me think 🤔 I've really not done this driving thing the right way.

Thanks for that information I will definitely try to call them and see if they can quote me.

My employment is a hse contract and I've got to be all set with car insurance by October, so really hope I can get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Awo

HI Fiona, I don't know if that will be of any help, but I just got insured on my first car as a learner driver in Allianz, I didn't have a gap, but I am 47 (I know;D and passed my theory test only in September 2021. I tried 20+ companies and because of my age and lack of experience most of them didn't want to quote me, some gave me a ridiculous quote for 6000e! Long story short, Allianz insured me and my partner for only 1650 euro. My partner is also a learner driver over 40, to give you some background.

In my experience you have to try as many companies as possible, because each of them might have a slightly different weighting of the variables they consider when giving a quote and is such unusual cases as ours the differences might be really huge. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Thank you, I've been trying to get quotes but not having much luck so I got onto a broker, he's working on it..let him have the headache 🤭 He said he will get me something but it will cost me 😐

I just can't deal with it, so frustrating. I tried to tell them I had no interest in driving and my boyfriend practically pushed me into a car when I was 27 to learn, I was driving a year later and was on a provisional.

I moved home and didn't work outside home, I was caring for my nana. Never sat my test, parked up the car, never drove, license lapsed, insurance ended and I honestly didn't care because I didn't need it. I had lots of chauffeurs and buses 🤭

But wow do I wish I knew then what I know now 🙃

Will update on the broker.

Also, if its any help to others there's Insurance Ireland and the Declined Cases Committee, if I get 3 quote refusals in writing I can appeal to the committee and they WILL get me a quote. Insurance providers have to give a reason for the refusal. I feel a little better knowing this especially when a hse contract job I've been working so hard to get depends on it. May be of use to someone else out there struggling to get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Miscreant

In relation to the "Declined Cases Committee", AFAIK they will contact the first company who refused you in writing and compel them to quote you..... You won't necessarily enjoy reading the quote they give, however.

Update

The Broker McCarthy's Insurance, got me insurance, they could only get me 1 quote so no options for me but to take it and I'm accepting it. Fully comprehensive Class 1(for hse), windscreen, breakdown €2000 with Allianz. I'm happy with it and I'll get a refund once I've got my full license and it won't cost me anything close to that at my renewal time. Have learned a few lessons too, always be on someone's policy even if you're not driving.

Just so glad to get any quote. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Glad to hear you got quoted.

Even if you had 10yrs experience and have a 3 yr gap the insurance companies will not count your previous experience. It's a scam to force people to maintain insurance even if they don't need it.

Because there's no way of knowing how much driving you actually did just because you're on a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

One thing that might be worth looking into is if any driving expenses incurred wholly and exclusively in the course of you employmnt can be claimed for against income tax. It might take some of the sting out of your insurance and other motoring costs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement