Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Upholstery Repair Dublin

Options
  • 28-06-2022 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a reliable auto upholsterer to repair x4 seats in a 1985 Mulsanne.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

I've not used these myself, but have known two separate people who have used them and were very happy with the work.

Don't think they are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Thanks. Have heard mixed reports about Nolans but in any case they're seemingly not taking on any new work for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hey Duke,

I've had two crowds mentioned to me.

First from a very good perfectionist mechanic Sabi 085 1090325. I don't think he's always in Ireland for work.

This was mentioned by my not great welders. PCI interiors.

Would appreciate you letting me know how you get on as I need w124 front seat repaired later in year.

Sorry for the late reply.

Seems there is no shortage of work out there for guys today. After a - wait for it - €10,000 quote to reupholster the seats, I decided to tackle it myself:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

€10,000 quote to reupholster the seats

Gotta love Ireland, some of the prices you see over here. I have got a load of stuff from Germany, Japan easier,faster and cheaper than here.

• Advertisement

I couldn't believe it; and it wasn't a "I don't actually want the work" quote, because he rang me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Stunning transformation. How did you manage to get them looking so well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Am stunned with that quote, I assume that was PCI? What work was that quote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I am in process of also sorting my Daimler V8 seats myself as no viable options. The seats have never been looked after and are very dry and cracking. They have been painted - literally - with a brush which has filled the pleats and seams with leather paint. All this has to be removed as it is a crap job. Then the cracks and tears repaired with items available to buy. The leather has to be softened if they are really bad to avoid further damage. If you watch a Youtube video of a Riley seats refurb you will understand the process and the possible results with seats that you would think should be binned. Splits can be glued and then filled and sanded before re colouring. Bagging the seats with a dose of leather cream for some days really does work.

It is going to take a long time to do a decent job and explains the cost which is mainly man hours. LRC ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The 10k might be an amount he could get from some IVVCC gent who doesn't have to live within a strict budget. I had a bad enough experience with upholsterer whose work on interior trim quite literally came apart after about a year. My view now is to accept something faded as patina of sorts, and if it is too worn, just do it myself slowly. A big problem I find is that pattern trim pieces are generally inferior and fit poorly compared to the BMC / BL originals, which makes doing it myself an ever greater imperative. One issue is the original owner but one was a proper smoker and had smoker passengers, so getting colours to match isn't so easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement