Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neon White (PC + Switch)

Options
  • 28-06-2022 6:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely loving this game so feel it deserves its own thread!

A blisteringly fast FPS (from the developer of Donut County in quite the change of pace) based around short levels and speed runs. A typical level is about 30 seconds long, but they're delightful obstacle courses where you have to use your various abilities (limited via an extremely smart pick-up / deck system) to blitz your way through them. It's a game with speed running and replayability at its very core, full of shortcuts and tricks to get you where you need to go faster. Each weapon doubles as, well, a weapon and a special skill. Your pistol, for example, gives you a double jump when you discard it, while you can use your machine gun 'card' to hurl out a bomb that deals area of effect damage.

I've played around four hours of the game and I'm still only in the third set of missions as I'm determined to complete each level with an ace / platinum medal before moving on... there's nothing like shaving off those precious extra seconds or indeed milliseconds to bump up your rank.

(there's apparently also a secret 'developer run' tier of medals I've yet to see :P)

It plays and runs super smoothly: I've been playing on PC and Steam Deck and it plays great on both honestly, although the responsiveness of mouse and keyboard does allow for that extra bit of precision when trying to aim at distant enemies while you're purposefully plummeting your way towards the exit gate. The Switch version apparently runs at 60 FPS though which is great.

There's some light visual novel elements too, mainly worth playing through as progressing the characters' stories unlocks really cool and fun bonus missions that introduce some obstacle or limitation to the core mechanics.

Can't recommend this enough anyway - and the bitesize levels make it a perfect to dip in and out of at your leisure.

Advertisement