Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Season 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

Key Shot here - miss it Judd!!!!!!

didn't go for plant - Allen got a squeak still ☺️

Judd was too close (mebbe not too close, but a poor enuf angle anyroad) to blue (from a great red) and not high enough for to get a decent split on the reds earlier on in frame; that's what led to him not being in prime position for to get a framewinning clearance - small margins 😁

lucky there Mark!!

have ya as jolly now - Judd's in a right pickle here 🙂🙂

Me and Angles was right; all there for the taking now 😊

should be stats for 'bottle' after match ends 😃 Angles and Neal be good judges I reckon,,, 99% from me anyhow to Mark in that 'discipline' so far 😎

• Advertisement

has he got lucky again, Mark - looks like it

WD Mark Allen & ROS (still number one 🤣)

be pandemonium if this match was in Belfast - ref be dealing with crowd too 🙂

Mark got a lot of deserved luck in that last frame - thought he was due some meself 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It looked like Trump was going to out match play Allen at one stage, and that would have sickened him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

bit of needle in the interview (which was fun to watch),, someone must have said (maybe Trump himself ) that Trump on form beats Allen 10 times outta ten 😂 ,,, least he has an 'easier' hehehe match upcoming against Selby 😋

QF

Selby v Allen/Trump

Saengkham/Brown v JamieJones/Woollaston

Dott/Day v Hamilton/Yuan Sijun

R Williams/Steven Hallworth v Lyu Haotian

Selby v Allen (tomorrow 12.45)

Saengkham v Jamie Jones

Ryan Day v Yuan Sijun

Robbie Williams v Lyu Haotian

looks about 4/7 to me that either Allen or Selby win it out

• Advertisement

prediction: Selby wins 5-3

Allen already let Selby back in after first chance. Looking ominous if Selby is given chances from errors. 1-0 Selby already ton up.

Yep - that was one of them 'unforgiveable' black ball (98-99 out of a 100 expected pot success) miss,, Selby punished him bigtime for it,,

Hendry be raging if he was on comms, but the other two lads more circumspect,,

#I'd be happy to pot that black 65/70 times out of a hundred meself - absent any positional intentions 😂

And Allen barely threatens jaws on that first long red attempt at start of this frame (frame two) ,, looking ominous - Selby's not pushing the boat out at all here; likely he won't need to,,

early doors tho 😊

The Jester is always happy to banter whene'er he has the 'whip hand' - the cute fecker 😆

Jayus Allen won a ‘Selby frame’ ballsy last yellow 1-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

Allen motoring now with a 143 clearance to go 2-1. Shaping up to be a very good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

I see ITV have a stat of 96% Positional Success for Mark Allen. Wonder how that is calculated, i.e. is it simply how many shots are followed by a subsequent pot, or is someone watching each shot and assessing how good position is?

don't know how positional success is quantified, nor how they calculate safety success percentages :(

i suppose the odd time it gets discussed, i aint watching 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That's interesting. Never seen a stat given for position before. I think it has to be someone just assessing every shot and making a judgement, otherwise it's hard to see what value would be in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Safety success based on whether the opponent pots a ball on the next shot - if you play 10 safeties and opponent pots 5 from them safety success is 50%

• Advertisement

As regards safety stats, it is a bit vague how these are calculated. I recall Neil Robertson discussing this on twitter and claiming that a safety was deemed to be successful once the cue ball passed the baulk line. That doesn't seem to be a very thorough guide, but that's what robbo claimed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Don't think I would agree with Neil there - you could leave your opponent welded to the top cushion and they could still roll one in - wouldn't call that overly successful!

That's true but the same applies to the other method. You could play a great safety and player could fluke a pot off it and yet that'll go down as a negative. And vice versa too. I think the only nailed on way is to have one person making a subjective judgement on each shot, but it would require some knowledge. I know Ian Burns does stats for eurosport but i dont know what criteria he uses. Would be good to know.

surely there's got to be a lot of subjectivity involved regarding safety success - after a quality safety - esp with a few/a lot of reds on table - the opponent can always knock in a 3/4 out of 10 long pot

Selby about to tie it up here - Allen be wondering how he lost with ~40pts lead, and the remaining reds not in a great position either

This is where robbo said it. He sounds pretty sure but doesn't mean he's definitely right of course.

Yeah, if you were judging it on your opponents next shot, your stats are going to be skewered by, among other things, whether you're playing Judd Trump, say, or Alfie Burden! But stats are never very definitive anyway, like in golf you could hit a drive 30 yards wide, see it hit a tree, bounce back into middle of fairway and see it recorded a perfect drive!

something to shoot the breeze/have an argument over anyway, them enigmatic 'stats' 😃

'Bottle' WD Mark Allen 😊

that were great rest shot earlier in frame, and he got prime position too - frame/matchwinning shot for me !

You got the scoreline right, just picked the wrong winner! I didn't see Allen winning this to be honest. If he can play like that why doesn't he win more silverware? Bit of a mystery.

• Advertisement

Good win for him. Thought he was going to get sucked into the selby vortex there, a deep black hole from which few emerge, but seemed to rediscover his form and confidence to pull away and finish it. Hope he can sustain this long term, such a good talent and shotmaker when he keeps it together.

Advertisement