Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Season 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Not quite shades of Bob Chaperon in 1990 but the open draw proving a right winner again...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Delighted to see Day win. I find Allen unlikeable for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Marco giving Higgins a run for his money on his home patch here. Not hanging about either when he gets his chance, definitely seems to have quickened up a bit since i last watched him. Great to see him back playing well anyway.

Well done Marco. That's the kind of thing you can't script really. Seems to have some sort of indian sign over Higgins too, 9-6 he leads the h2h now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Not seeing any of this Hong Kong tournament, but it seems some of the players love the scale of the arena with nearly 10,000 in watching a snooker match.

Too big I would have thought, but for Trump, Robertson, the Chinese players etc, I'd expect they will want more of this, and pressure will come on to move something like the Tour Championship or Champions of Champions there. Matchroom probably won't need a lot of persuading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Genghis

Haven't seen every match but caught a bit of Mark Vs Neil yesterday, Ronnie Vs Ng yesterday and Ronnie Vs Neil today.

Delighted for Marco, both for reaching the final and doing it in front of a home crowd with a 147.

Thought Ronnie was good today, winning 5 frames on the trot when he looked to be out. Robinson must be gutted, he played reasonably well.

The pockets do seem very generous, some pots along the cushion going in that never would on other tables.

Venue is huge, I think 9,000 in tomorrow makes it Crucible X 10, and a world record. Applause sounds strange, distant and delayed, like the size of the venue slowing down reaction and response. I certainly would question what you can see from the Gods, but it's great to see a big venue all the same.

Hard to see past Ronnie for the win tomorrow (he'll relish the big occasion and Chinese exposure), but then again Fu has beaten Trump and Higgins and is in top form again. I'm happy for either to win.

Timely win for Ken, 4-2 over the spaceman, his first of the season and make up for the defeat to Ng On Yee last month. Looked a bit grim at 1-2, needing snooker in F4, but got it, won frame and then took over from there. Table seems so much tighter there compared to Hong Kong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

Northern Ireland Open kicks off today

1st round #live coverage begins on Eurosport1 at 12,45 - Quest (Ch 144 on Sky) also showing this comp, but from tomorrow onwards, afaic tell

#some of the earlier rnd 1 matches are currently in play atm

Shaun Murphy and Judd Trump take part in two of the three matches down for 1.00pm - Murf takes on Xu Si, and Trump is massive odds-on shot to dispatch Rod Lawler. Had to have a bit on Murphy's opponent at ~11/4, as Murphy is one of the few top players who can lose to anyone, anytime, imo 😄

Robbie McGuigan is due up at 2.00pm when going up against Joel Connelly, so he'd have to fancy his chances of getting thru to the second round here. Selby plays Reanne @ ~2.00pm - also down at this time is Robbo v Fraser Patrick, and a facile victory for the Aussie is expected.

Three of the seeds, and indeed three of the top draws in the game, in shape of Ronnie, MJW & Mark Allen, take part in the evening sessions, which kick off at 7.00pm

TV guide don't say which matches will be shown

sorry Arthur; never saw it 😊

• Advertisement

I saw David Taylor the old Silver Fox was playing in the 900 snooker event earlier this week.

The Silver Fox looked good and agile for his 79 years. He won a match but then was locked out against Stephen Lee's son in the next 1 framer.

Great to see older players still giving it a go in an amateur event like this. David is challenging Fred Davis for longevity at this stage. Fred was 79 when he went up against a 17 year old Ronnie O'Sullivan on the tour back in 1992/93 season.

The Match against Alfie Lee is here:

https://youtu.be/RUAkFyUA6Rg?t=6234

worth watching, if only just to see if Alfie looks owt like his dad 😄

Good days snooker ahead in the English qualifiers. Fair to say Fergal not really found his mojo yet this season, still looking for his first match win and has third go against Chang Bingyu this morning. Hopefully start clicking into place soon. Aaron up against Liam Highfield at 4 and if bringing good vibes from last week, expect him to put up a good challenge. Good win for Ken against Robbie Williams yesterday, his second on the spin so showing some bit of form at least.

Post edited by Joe_ Public on

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

A bad defeat for Fergal. You would think his form would be better after his Q-School experience over the summer.

Yes, a good win for Ken, is he in the first round proper now?

Hopefully he won't come up against Kyren Wilson like he did in Belfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How's that young lad Aaron Hill doing? Because it is not a good sign if hopes are still being pinned on Fergal and Ken!

Any up and coming young Irish fella that I should be made aware of, and has the potential to make it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ken plays winner of Jamie Jones/Alfie Burden in L64. Not the worst draw tbf.

Thought Liam Highfield looked to be struggling here but really ballsy blue and pink to take second frame and level the match here.

Tense stuff this third frame - both take opportunity for mid frame toilet break!

Man, that was tense, Highfield messes up a long blue, no idea why he tried to smash it in like he did, and Aaron clears up to nick it for 2-1.

Well, he only went and beat Judd Trump in Belfast last week so he's definitely not doing terribly. Still learning the ropes but slowly getting there i'd say. After that i'd say best hope is Ross Bulman if he can get himself on tour. Been close a couple of times already and still just 21, there's hope there if he sticks at it a while yet. There's a lad called Leone Crowley who's just 16 and is just a little bit exciting. Early days for him but great attitude, maturity and lots of ability so he's definitely one for a couple of years down the road. Both, like Aaron, hail from Cork so whatever it is they put in their milk bottles down there, it's definitely working!

• Advertisement

It's all a bit scrappy but Aaron capitalises on a poor safety to make it 3-1.

I see draw for the UK Championship is out and got to say it makes decent enough reading from an Irish perspective.

Aaron got Muhammad Asif, winner plays Hammad Miah and winner of that plays Matt Selt.

Mick Judge got Dechawat Poomjaeng, winner plays Peter Lines, winner of that faces Ali Carter.

Ken got Fergal Patrick, winner plays Lei Peifan, winner of that faces Dave Gilbert.

Fergal got Mink Nuchurut, winner plays Robbie Williams, winner of that plays Liang Wenbo.

All told, that isn't too bad really, couple of sticky L32s if they get that far, which you'd expect. Aaron probably got the best of it I think, dare i say R1 looks easy, Miah isn't bad but that's winnable and get Matt Selt on the right night and he's beatable. Something to look forward to anyway!

No quick kill here unfortunately. Highfield has found a bit of form and it's down to the wire.

No hiding the disappointment there, bad one to lose from the position he was in. Wasn't really playing that Well, even at 3-1, it has to be said.

Don't know what Liang is guilty of this time, but very likely there's a fairly hefty ban coming his way soon, something a bit harsher than the rather feeble one they administered last time.

**Thursday 27 Oct 2022 03:03PMThe WPBSA has today suspended Liang Wenbo from attending or competing in WPBSA sanctioned events. This is due to an ongoing investigation into allegations of misconduct. The suspension will remain in place until the conclusion of the investigation or the outcome of disciplinary proceedings.

The WPBSA will not comment further until the investigation is complete.**

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Quiet in here! Cracking final ahead today. Ronnie looking sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ronnie had a brilliant start but then Judd fires back that sensational 147. Pretty pathetic for Ronnie not to get up and shake his hand after, thought that was poor form there. First few frames will be interesting if Judd is able to get another few frames back, as one of the commentators said, Ronnie like Alex Higgins, does not like being upstaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A few months ago Ronnie’s hugging Trump like he’s his long-lost son, and here Trump scores a 147 and the chap can’t even be bothered enough to to stand up and offer a congratulatory handshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just caught up on the 147 there great first black. And brave of Trump to take black again at 57, could have gone for pink. Difficult brown as well on the colour clearance

As for Ronnie he is a bit of a quare hawk. I saw in an interview he gave recently, his new logic is to enter all competitions and lose early if he is ‘not bovvered’. You would have thought he would at least have given Judd a well done/thumbs up?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Agree. Disappointed Ronnie did at least offer a fist bump. That'll haunt him on social media I think. Not that he cares a whole lot about SM anyway.

Even hendry said it in studio... "at least shake the guys hand"

Advertisement