Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on flattening a wall to prepare for tiling

Options
  • 28-06-2022 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We recently removed an old electrical fireplace that no longer works to put in a wood burner. There is not a flat surface to be found around it and now trying to figure out how to flatten out the uneven cement /plaster work as pictured in order to tile.

Any advice for how to tackle it without making it look even more eccentric?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I've used Vitcas render and plaster, a good product but pricey. Also watch the videos on how to apply. Great if you are stuck for room. I had plenty of room so I put a 9 mil backer board up and cladded with brick slips.

I used a flexible tile adhesive to apply the the 9mil backer board and drilled and held into place with plasterboard fixings, ended up with a really even surface to apply the brick slips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭monseiur

Get a bag of bonding (the stuff plasterers use) and a few strips of expanded metal. It may take a few coats to get it ready for tiling, fit angle beads on both sides & top with final coat of plaster (bonding). Better to leave the finish a little rough - the tile adhesive will stick better.

Advertisement