Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media rate limiting youtube and perhaps other video sites? Excessive contention ratios...

Options
  • 28-06-2022 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

I have Virgin Media in a house I occupy for about three months a year - VM solely for internet (no TV etc). About 800 EUR per annum for 3 months 'service'.

I now notice that VM seems to be default rate limiting youtube videos by default - often to as low as 360p picture quality if one clicks on the cogwheel to check the speed. Which is a con.

In other locations I receive normal video speeds without video buffering and a good quality picture. Also the screen fill is much faster outside of Virgin Media-land.

In fact, if I tether my mobile phone to my workstation in Ireland using mobile data, it is far faster than obnoxious, over-priced, virgin media.

The high apparent contention ratio makes me suspect that I am sharing the connection with 30 to 50 others. Rip off Mr Malone.

Needless to say that I am moving the next time I come to this house - I have Siro and Eir fiber outside in the garden. As well as 5G mobile.

I suspect that VM is engaging in a programme of price increases and rate limitation and contention ratio manipulation - like many US broadband providers?

If people put up with it, they will turn the screw even tighter.

(The subtitle of this boards group still mentions 'UPC'. We have UPC in Switzerland. They offer 10 GB internet + 250 TV channels for less than 60 EUR per month - same Malone racket - but they have to compete with Swisscom and Salt (who share ownership with Eir), and who offer 10 GB internet. Salt offers 10 GB internet for 49,95 CHF a month - call it 48 EUR. Deduct CHF 10/month if you have a Salt mobile subscription.) The minimum wage in Switzerland is almost EUR 25 per hour. And the highest VAT rate is 7,7%.

Rip-off Ireland, rip-off EU continues unabated.

Impetus (in T23)

Advertisement