Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exclusion from Collective Pay Agreements

Options
  • 28-06-2022 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was recently successful in applying for a change of role in the company I’m with (new department being set up, 3% increase in pay so a very slight promotion of sorts) and received my new contract today.

One part of it took me by surprise though which said - “you will no longer be eligible for pay increases under the collective pay agreements”.

There was no mention of this in the interview, in fact it was explicitly stated that I would retain all my current terms and conditions.

Just wondering Is this clause something commonly put into contracts or are they trying to pull a fast one on me? I’ve never heard of anyone (that’s non senior management) being excluded before.

This employer rarely increases pay so all my main salary increases down the years have all come from various 1-3% increases that came out of collective agreements.

This has definitely planted a seed of doubt in my mind about accepting the role along with another few issues within the contract.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Looks like you are being promoted out of that category, smart move by the employer???

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rodders999

Yeah smart but feels very mean spirited to me. Pretty much all employees bar senior management benefit from these pay agreements, including people on much higher salaries than myself, so it just looks like they’re out for an easy opportunity (that a new contract allows) to bump people off this benefit.

Anyway I’ve a meeting with HR next week to discuss the contract and I’ll discuss it then. The reason for posting was just to gauge if this is common in other workplaces.

The company is highly profitable so it’s certainly not a money issue, which was why I stated I felt this clause was mean spirited.

Advertisement