Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plums and Cherries no fruit

Options
  • 29-06-2022 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hi I have 3 different plum and 2 cherry trees no fruit this year . I think its the weather anyone else got the same problem . I was away until mid April and do not know if they actually flowered .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Plum trees here and same very few fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Have a few plums here in the back garden on a north facing slope that had flowers but no fruit. There is a small number on an older tree on a south facing spot that is probably a bit warmer but it has less than last year. Already pruned the non fruiting ones to hopefully set them up for a better chance of getting fruit next year. I think there was a late frost that got to them this year but they are still young so I think it is no harm letting them have another year to concentrate on getting established. The cherry trees have been very good at setting fruit this year but the birds are getting them before I can as usual.

Happy gardening!

Cherries, lots of fruit but savaged by birds. Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Irish History

Lapins Cherry, 4 years old approx - first year in the ground. Flowers went on to develop fruit this year. Picked a few ripe ones over hot sunny weekend - cherries were warm sweet and juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I have only a few strawberries and raspberries too this year ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Last year I had so many plums I didn't know what to do with them and many rotted on the tree. That's their fault for coming ripe in the same damn week. But about 5 years ago I had zero plums despite flowering as normal in spring. But I understand that fallow years happen, especially after thinning.

This year I have half the amount of plums and my strawberries are less productive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A bumper year for cherries for us, and luckily got the net up before the blackbirds could get their first. Apples crop looking fantastic again this year. Am amazed by the raspberries, they have outdone themselves and a real bumper crop. South facing garden, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Slightly OT... what variety of raspberry do you all recommend? Mine are puny and not so sweet. I think they may have been an early season variety, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I put netting on the trees.

Advertisement