Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air Display 2022

Options
  • 29-06-2022 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭colbarr

Hi All,

I couldn't find anything regarding this years Bray Air Display on Boards and I have a question regarding it. Hopefully this can become a general discussion board for the airshow though.

The Bray Air Display is running over Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th July 2022. According to their website, the main airshow is on the Sunday, with Ground Entertainment from 12pm both days. They also say that Saturday 23rd is an "official practice day".

Can anyone tell me what I can expect in terms of air displays if I was to only go on the Saturday? What does official practice day mean? Will it be a full dress rehearsal, or just sporadic displays throught the day?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. And feel free to hijack this thread for a general discussion on the subject.

Cheers,

Colbarr.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The website says "There is an official practice day on Saturday, July 23rd 2022 ahead of the main #BrayAirDisplay on Sunday, July 24th 2022 with some aircraft activity throughout the day." I would not expect a full display routine on the Saturday and some items from the UK may only arrive in Ireland that day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chimp77

The Battle of Britain Memorial flight is due to arrive in Baldonnel on Friday, so you might get to see them on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

The red arrows schedule has them in the UK on the Saturday, so it's unlikely they will perform over Bray on Saturday, unless they have plans to overnight in baldonnell and perhaps perform before landing.

I would however say this is unlikely because the last time they performed here they didn't overnight.

Has anyone any info on who is overnighting in Baldonnell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Why do the USAF not come to airshows here anymore like they did in the 90s. Is it down to money?

As a rule, only authorised pilots can display at a show and there may not be many of these in Europe. Much increased operational commitments combined with reduced US presence in Europe post-Cold War are factors also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 chimp77

I see the Leonardo originally on the display schedule has since gone with a Viggen now there.

Hopefully the Viggen will perform a better display than years previously. Fully appreciate the constraints with display lines but the last time it displayed, it was very very far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Also the Galway Airshow, where we saw ridiculous number of US jets, had the benefit of someone who knew someone who knew someone, I think. So that made it happen.

Yea, money. Arrows are probably around €25,000 at this stage. No budget for anything else. Car charge is a €10 and has to be prebooked this year just so ye all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just in relation to Salthill they had every fast jet from the US you could wish for including the Thunderbirds Red Arrows 6 times and every fast jet from the RAF great times sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Delighted to hear it's only one day this year - the 24th July.There was never enough flights to justify 2 days.There must have been lots of complaints.As far as a Sat 23rd July is concerned bring a lounger as it can be tiring waiting for a bird to wander across the horizon in practice flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Rock Solid

Just reading some comments regarding the show. The Viggen did display very far out which was disappointing. As I live in Tallaght on the runway flightpath I decided to go to Baldonnel business park area and brought scanner and binoculars and camera I was able to see Viggen and other aircraft very close also Red Arrows stayed overnight. You can get a much better view of the aircraft as they depart to participate in the shows. On Arrival the Reds did a low pass and then rejoined for landing, two aircraft at a time, followed by support transport. Viggen on arrival blasted the area out of it with a display.

Viggen is sh1te

Bring back Salthill

Anyone know time arrows are coming in? Thats all i wanna see, presumably around 5 id imagine?

Why can't they charge a fee and bring in a great line up instead of poxy aer lingus and garda helicopters. So bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The location is not practical for charging a fee.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Red Arrows overnighted in Baldonnnel last time I thought? Or was that FlightFest?

You are free to ignore the air display if "shite" jets like Viggen's annoy you so much

If you wanna see disappointment, look at peoples faces when the viggen comes on. 10 miles out to sea, quiet as a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Salthill was the place to be. Fast jets every year & nearly every front line combat or support aircraft that the RAF had, Tornado/Eurofighter/Jaguar/Harrier/Tornado F3/Merlin/Nimrod & every aircraft type except the E2C off the USS John F Kennedy, SeaHawks too & S3 Vikings. I remember one year they had a B1, direct from the US, was on a Global Power Mission. F15E'S, A10's, US Army Backhawk from SHAPE no less, RN Seaking Airborne Early Warning, USN P3 Orion & F16's & also Tornado F3. German Tornado's mid air refuelling for real past the flight line so the main one could do a full role demo & US Army Chinook from "Big Windy" Squadron & French Alpha Jets, Spanish F1 Mirage & USAF Hercules that also did a sightseeing mission up past Clifden as the Pilot was from there or something like that.

class

Ireland has seen some memorable airshows in the past (in particular Baldonnel but also Bray) but the scope for anything spectacular these days is limited. Times have changed and military air arms (a) have contracted and (b) are focused on operational commitments and threats. Take a look at the UK airshow scene and apart from Fairford there are no major shows left. Check out what's planned for Portrush in NI in September and you'll see a not-too-exciting lineup. Bray targets the general public and in that context I think they do a good job. This year will offer what is possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see a Lancaster display in this country. For me, that alone is worth attending for.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Advertisement

I believe the RAF WW2 Aircraft will arrive at Baldonnel on the Friday afternoon and also viggen, not sure about the Reds as they are displaying In the UK on Saturday afternoon. They may arrive around 8Pm as they did before I think in 2018 or they could fly over from the UK on Sunday and not land.

Not a post on the airshow itself but how to get there,:

Avoid using Go Ahead! For your own sanity.

Instead go into Dublin City by Luas Dublin bus. Then take a DART train / 155 to Bray, and back to Dublin City Centre.

Any ideas yet what time the display starts on the day? Usually they say "11am" or something like that so everyone is there at 11 with the display actually starting at 2pm.

Planning on making the daytrip up from Cork and no interest in sitting on the beach for hours first!!

Got it, thanks. Website wouldn't scroll on Firefox (had to use Edge, ewww).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Set of 4 planes doing loops over me here in Lucan. Practicing for Bray or are we under attack?!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Aer Corps displaying over city centre for the National Day of Commerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Psychlops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Ah the galway air show was off the scale. The euro fighter did shapes I did not know a plane could do.

I lived near airport so I arrived down one airshow to see 2 harrier jets land vertical. Simply unreal.gutted its gone

Advertisement