Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭zg3409

Lane keep issue seems to be fixed in latest software being installed by Irish dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

I'm not reading too much into some of the software and charging aspects: the lane keep assist is supposedly much improved in the latest software (as discussed earlier in this thread), and charging has shown to be very good in Europe so I'm putting some of this down to Thai chargers, etc.

Consumption seems to be a hit and miss affair and I suspect if MG spends some more time on the software also, there is more to be found. I see Bjorn Nyland has tested the short-range battery now: https://youtu.be/lKePgCP7Prg

Great to see the car come in with a good, low, weight, however, it seems it's not the most aerodynamic which is hurting it (and by all accounts, aerodynamics are more important than weight for an EV when it comes to efficiency at speed). So overall, a good, but not incredible range estimate - he also shows an estimate of what he thinks the larger battery model will do. Worth noting that Dublin-Cork is 259km so if you keep it at 110km/hr in the long-range you can do it very comfortably without a stop.

Post edited by usual_suspect on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

January MG4 stats from https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

No Orange Exclusives registered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I'm surprised that red is quite far down the list. I wonder is it because of the extra €900 cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Orange would be my unequivocal choice for the MG4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭baziled13

I hope majority of them were exclusive as I ordered excite back in September and still waiting, MG are a disaster cars delivered to people that ordered after me.

Same issue in the UK when launched loads waiting on certain color but the same color was in different dealer and walkin just bought ahead of people that ordered, putting me off MG.

Post edited by baziled13 on

Definitely should be a case of cars go to whomever has ordered them first. If a buyer rejects a car then the next person in line for that colour and spec should get a call.

On another topic, I have been looking at Bjorn's videos in the blue Exclusive he has been testing and I am loving that lighter coloured interior. Shame it is not offered here as it looks like it makes a big difference to the in-cabin brightness, especially the headliner!

Definitely agree with interior even the light ceiling trim would have brightened the back a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Cancelled our order. Too many issues for me to feel like im not buying a car that will have a reputation you cant sell it with in a few years. Check Bjorns video with the MG4 range test. Watch the part where the LKA tries to kill him.

If you are buying from Linders make sure you get a guaranteed value on your trade in from them.

They are notorious for telling people they will give them X for their trade in and then come trade in day they say market forces, we can only give you x - y for your trade in. Especially now if you are trading in an EV for another EV. Watch them use the prices going down on EVs as an excuse when it comes to pickup day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭zg3409

Read this thread. LKA assist issue fixed and update being actively applied to Irish cars. You can also turn it off (it turns back on each time you start the car)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

User settings not holding between trips must be the one of the biggest oversights. That would really annoy me.

Are setting reset to default everytime car turned off in the new software update

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

Also cancelled my order. Too many issues overall in my opinion, interior too dark and no heat pump. I'd rather buy a more polished car. I'm going to save for another few years and buy a Model Y instead unless something better comes on the market in the mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AllanOc

Has anyone that has the mg4 had an issue with the keyless entry? It worked the first day for me but now doesn't work on the drivers side when I press the button on the handle. It'll only work on the passenger side door.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

These sill protectors arrived during the week but have since decided against them. Free to anyone that wants to collect from North Dublin, or cover the cost of postage. Send me PM if interested.

This armrest storage tray is great, and still leaves decent storage underneath. Worth purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Vladi

Watch Sunday Drive on Bjorn's channel

400 km on one charge. Very nice

Looking forward to my standard range

Outside temperature was 30 day time then 24 night time

Speed at 80 km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Or just get yourself a nice Mègane E-Tech if you can get a nice one or a Citroen E-C4 or E-C4X.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Still Off topic of MG4

But megane etech is overpriced 60kw version is only a couple of grand cheaper then Tesla Y, crazy that anyone is looking at magane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just out of curiosity how do you go from wanting an MG4 to a Model Y? Two very different cars at very different prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭munsterfan2

Hi,

Took an MG4 for a test drive last week ( Reynolds, Drogheda) Nice drive, and both happy with it but herself said she could hear a strange noise, like wind in a cylinder. I couldnt hear anything but that doesnt surprise me. Anyone have a similar experience ?

Thanks.

Was it the "fake" noise the car makes at low speeds for pedestrian safety? It can sound something like described.

I didn't notice any strange noises on my test drive but it would have been a different car in a different dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Next test drive check underneath to see if car has a bit of undertrim hanging low - well known production issue on about 30% of cars, and if its a large droop may be catching the wind. Also possibly a loose spoiler that can create a squeak noise - again a known issue but in thos case an easy fix

Edit: also a possibilty that the Exclusive spec has opening grill at the bottom of the front of the car, opens and closes to allow cooling of battery. Haven't heard anything like that myself, but maybe that would allow a wind noise....

did anyone get a recall for a software update after the collected

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I don't need to change car but wanted something thats fun to drive and I thought the MG4 would be a nice introduction to BEV. The MG4 is a decent car for the price but I don't like the steering wheel controls, infotainment, lack of heat pump, and no OTA updates. Having driven a Model Y recently it changed my criteria in what I want from a car. I plan to start a family in the next 2 years so I now want the extra space and features over the MG4. I'm comfortable financially so my budget is flexible to grow.

Theres a video in one of the MG groups where several MG owners and an MG dealer discuss the MG4. They seemed to come to the conclusion that the funny wind noises were coming from the deformed under tray. They also said MG have told them in the UK they arent fixing the undertray anymore as its no a safety issue. Pretty sure it will effect your driving range though as its going have an effect on the aerodynamics for sure.

None of them seem happy at all with the MG4. Given that they are MG enthusiasts, thats a bit concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭staples7

Jesus that's some s**tshow, I had thought there had been initial positive feedback on the 4, having said that perhaps that was just car reviewers that did no have to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

Folks, thanks for above, I am also now getting cold feet. Think I will go for a model y instead, I think the extra 15k is worth it given all the extra features and resale value.

To those who have cancelled, can you let me know the process. Assume ring up and cancel? Any issues getting deposit back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭crl84

The vast majority of people I've seen who have had it for several months seem to love it (MG EV forum, Youtube, a few car publications).

That video is people whinging and ranting about some known issues, several of which have been fixed already.

Any brand new car is going to have some little niggles in the initial production batches, that are rectified in later production runs. Most of these with the MG4 seem to be ones that can be fixed with software updates, so just need to be brought in to the dealer for fixing if the car has already been bought, or will be already fixed on future sales.

Advertisement