Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

1404142434446»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Hello,

I have my MG4 Exclusive (bought around July 2023) in for repair/service at the moment with an issue where the indicators are blinking really fast and giving error messages.

The car also seems to have a number of software glitches with Android Auto disconnecting regularly when driving (which gets very annoying), car often does not start when you get in and put it into drive and you have to spend about 20 seconds putting it back into park, trying again etc.

I want to get the software updated to the latest version but I'm not sure what that is. From what I've read Linders Finglas seem not great for doing updates so I want to make sure I have the latest version before I leave there!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭crl84

Indicator blinking fast (on dash) and error message indicates blown bulb. If it's the led one at the front, it needs the light cluster replaced. Should be a few weeks to get the part I'd say. If it's at the back, it should just be a regular bulb replacement.

Android Auto, are you sure it's not a loose cable/connection? Only time I used to have that was when the cable and phone USB socket weren't making proper contact. Have since bought a wireless dongle and no issues.

For starting/putting into drive, you need to press the brake and wait for a couple of seconds for it to say Ready, then it should go into Drive. Only times I've had that problem is when I haven't properly pressed and held the brake before trying to put it into Drive.

There is lots of software that isn't shown so you won't know what's updated unless you ask and they tell you.

The infotainment version is what most people seem to mean tlwhen they're taking about software updates. Latest version for Exclusive is R59. You won't get the latest unless you've made specific complaints in advance about Bluetooth, radio, android auto etc, and the dealer has logged these with MG, and MG have released the update for your car. Otherwise the dealer will just check the MG server for your car, and no updates will show, so as far as they're concerned, your car is "on the latest version". Doing software updates also costs time (€€€) for dealers, but if there's a specific issue identified and logged with MG (eg Bluetooth, AA etc) then they can do the fix under warranty and charge MG for it. Most of the other changes in the latest infotainment versions are largely cosmetic, and dealers aren't going to bother doing the updates for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

There is a quirk with the Exclusive, where if you're sitting in traffic and another car comes up quickly beside you in another lane - the indicators will flash quickly (nothing shows on dash). It's linked to the car reversing warning, where it'll flash to warn a car crossing behind you, but seems to happen while in traffic too.

It worried me a first, no I kinda like it, as it gives the car a 'Herbie' like quality of 'Stay away! I'm stopped here!'

I think you can turn that off in the Safety settings on MG Pilot. Can set the sensitivity to low too if it happens.

I don't drive much at night, so hard to know/see when it happens during the day.

E: checked earlier and it's called Rear Collision Alert, underneath Reversing Cross Traffic alert or something, which is the one for when you're reversing. Can only be turned in or off actually, can't change the sensitivity.

Post edited by crl84 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I wouldn't buy mg4 but I wouldn't buy a used ID3 either, I say that as a cupra born owner.

From now on I'll be buying stuff with long warranties. My 2 cars are coming out of warranty next year 2025 and long term plan is to replace one of them with the same year kia ev6 which will still have loads of warranty.

Wait a while and you'll get ev6 with loads of warranty or an ioniq 5 for your 26k budget. Once they're not too big for what you want.

• Advertisement

7 year warranty on battery, motor and gearbox on MG4 - 3 years full warranty on almost all mechanics as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks very much for the reply

Do you have a recommended wireless dongle? I thought it would be somthing that would be less reliable than wired but I'd much prefer if there was a wireless option. This gets good reviews but Amazon won't send it here.

The other thing I forgot to ask about was one pedal driving. This does not seem an option in my MG but I believe it is in later ones. Can this be updated for? Would be annoying if not.

Finally the lane keeping assist/cruise control is comically bad. Has that been improved by update? Would think they'd be able to get it better than I have it. It complete fails to keep in lanes/veers off to the side at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

One pedal driving doesn't seem to be able to be added, or at keast they're not adding it for the models without it up to summer 2023. It was on the facelifted models after that, although they had a 1.5k price increase when those models were announced.....

Lane Keep Assist was updated after April 2023 I believe. Although it was to make it less sensitive, as most people complained that it was too over zealous, and would get close to a line and yank the wheel back away from the line. Sounds like you have the opposite problem? Most people want to turn it off completely, and MG have even added a button on the homescreen menu to quickly disable it,on the most recent versions for both Excite (R33) and Exclusive (R59). Unfortunately due to Euro NCAP safety scoring, it needs to default to ON every time the car starts. Don't know if it's better at recognising lines since the update.

For wireless AA, I got this one, no issues with it:

https://amzn.eu/d/0fxPPEQm

Yeah, I think that's one 'no brainer' win for MG.

You're still a new brand, trying to get customers to buy a new type of fueled car, cheaper than all rivals but don't want to scare them off and make if feel like you're a cut price, dodgy dealer. 7 year warranty that stays with car! Instantly puts a lot of minds at ease.

And given that electric motors are now showing to be incredibly reliable, and that batteries are also showing better life cycles than expected - a fairly safe bet too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

You might find out when you need that warranty that it suddenly does not cover the faulty part. UK message boards full of that.

Had my aforementioned indicator light cluster covered and replaced under warranty no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

My car is due for service next month. Do I need to log software issues with the dealer before or just tell them when I leave the car in? I really want that next pull down toggle for the LKA, I turn it off before every journey

In advance, they have to log it with MG, who will then have the infotainment version update released for your car if a fix for your problem is solved with an update. Complain about bluetooth dropping, aircon screen hanging etc when you ring to book. It's really dependent on the dealer logging it in advance though. Some seem to be under the impression that they can just plug in on the day and click "Check for updates" and if nothing comes back, then everything is fine and up-to-date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

They wont cover everything though. Thats covered because its rare. Things like the buckled undercarraige, cracks in seats are now not covered. They were covering them at first but when they realized that they were more common and would fail in most cars, they changed the warranty on those items 1 year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭mun1

drove MG4 today, drives very well, and couldnt fault it, great drive, and i really like it.

Wife went for the BYD dolphin in the end as she likes the inside better and worked out better CoC price.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭3d4life

https://aseannow.com/topic/1257405-electric-vehicles-in-thailand/?do=findComment&comment=19054681

Wonder if this might creep over to this remote corner of Euroland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,858 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The boot lining cloth in the Mg4 is starting to come away.

Does anyone know of a spurious lining/cover?

Thanks

Advertisement