Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I don't know I haven't seen his statement. We only have Marie Farrell's word now, but you know;

"A liar will not be believed, even when they speak the truth." (Aesop)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭CuriousCal

When you actually look into reports you will also see Marie Farrell’s husband has a history of violence against both men and women there was a case where he was fined after assaulting a man at spar and how she had spoken to one of the guards about how he previously assaulted her

• Is there anyone actually normal, ie non violent, non narcissist, etc in West Cork? 😱

I’m sure there are, and a bit pissed off with the former.

From what I’ve read she’s not from west cork but it’s all very strange down there

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I actually worked from someone down that way and they were a complete tosser. They were a local.

Incredibly beautiful though.

• Advertisement

• Yeah I know, she’s from Laois/Offaly, tons of odd blow-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

If he wasn't guilty he made a great job of putting himself in the picture and keeping himself there for 28 years. Guilty IMO and I wouldn't rule out it being solved yet.

Just your normal cross section of society, and would not have been put under the microscope only for this, much like Caherciveen, Granard and others. The high profile of the victim means we're here now.

• I worked with a local from there too, ok, no bother, but extremely insular.

Wow she’s from Laois/offaly but had a child in Longford it’s all a bit bizarre she gets around that’s for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I read somewhere that he was "frail" in the sense that he would be unlikely to do what was done to Sophie with the block.

Nothing to do with his age but it's not a giant leap of faith to suggest that a 33 year old would be stronger than a 63 either.

And because he's never been a suspect I guess that the Gardai reckoned he may not have been physically able to do it either.

• Jaysus, maybe do, but but gawd that’s not exactly populous area, but seems to have more oddities than the sum of people I have encountered in my life 😱

• I’ve known skinny people, I’ve known hefty people; sometimes the most power in hefty people bother force of their bodily weight rather than muscle, and sometimes I’ve known skinny people to be powerful because n muscle in spite of appearance.,

• I’ve taken tons of looks around me. At least 50% seem ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

But he didn't walk home from the pub so you are comparing apples and bananas. he was meant to have got up in the middle of the night walked 3km plus, commited a murder, walked another 3km plus back left no evidence DNA etc whatsoever while half cut... Actually just think about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

No-one left any evidence. Just think about that.

The crime scene was contaminated by multiple people over the course of the morning.

Re DNA, I don't believe any viable DNA was found on any of the murder weapons. If you lifted a rock or a stone, what exactly would you be hoping to leave behind? There is no evidence that Du Plantier for example scratched anyone, no DNA under her finger nails. As for the gate, there has been no mention of any incriminating DNA found there either, and before you say they lost the gate, they took all the swabs and the gate itself was destroyed 6 years later.

As regards your original post:

And bailey was meant to have walked a couple of km the middle of the night to recite some poetry and try get his leg over on someone he didn't know after being on the piss a few hours before.....

recite some poetry and get the leg over? if you say so. personally i dont know what his motive was, but i do know whoever (most likely Bailey) committed this crime likely did it without being too much in control of themselves. Bailey claimed to an acquaintance that he planned to plead insanity if he was ever charged with the SDP murder, a very telling remark. He had it all thought out.

on the piss for a few hours - like i said its almost an irish tradition to walk several kilometres after a night in the pub if you've no other way home. I've heard of epic journeys people have walked home from pubs and nightclubs when there were no taxis available. Because you are drunk doesn't mean you can't walk! and no its irrelevant if someone is walking home from the pub or anywhere else, whats relevant is drinking and walking after are not exclusive!

as for attacking someone, all his assaults on his partner including at least one that almost killed her were carried out when he was drunk (including with whiskey, which by the way he had also taken that night by his own admission). Some people do not react well to spirts, Bailey was clearly one of those people. Both he and his partner admitted this numerous times. For Bailey, drinking spirits could unleash an absolute monster given certain circumstances.

• i really haven’t followed closely, so going a lot on and off from this here thread, making no assertions this way or that way. Still, I’m interested, having being around a while and a younger adult then.

They way with whiskey, it’s little different from other similar alcohols in intoxication levels on same % though sometimes different hangover attributes, eg Tequila being known to have major hangover.

Of course 40% Jameson, a favourite decent Irish whiskey, is 40%, and popularly taken with just a small amount of water “to open it up”. there weren’t even the so-so West Cork whiskies then, nor some of the superb Gins like Bertha’s Revenge.

I’d reckon Ian’s favourite tipple was classic Jameson..

Its worth nothing some of the similarities of the injuries suffered by Ian Bailey's partner during his assault in May 1996 and the injuries suffered by Sophie Du Plantier in December 1996.

Witness statement for May 1996 assault:

"It was absolutely the most appalling thing I have ever witnessed," he declared.

"Jules Thomas was curled up in a foetal position at the foot of the bed. I could hear what I can only describe as almost animal sounds. Terrible distress," he added.

He saw clumps of Jules Thomas's hair torn out, bite marks on her hands, scratches and bruises to her face and her eye swollen to an enormous size.

Ex-friend tells of 'savage injuries' | Independent.ie

In addition her lip was torn from her gum.

SDP injuries in December 1996 murder

Among many injuries there were clumps of hair torn out, scratches to her face, lip torn from gum, and as with Thomas, significant injuries to the face.

Needless to say, Bailey denied being a violent man when asked about the assaults of his partner, which I'm sure his supporters will be happy with.

The similarities of injuries between the two crimes leads me to believe the same monster was responsible for both attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Again everything you wrote there is circumstantial and heresy. It's backed up by no evidence whatsoever and if 2 dpp see it insufficient for a prosecution it's good enough for me.

I tell you what is exclusive getting up in the middle of the night to walk a few km to kill someone and then walking back ! It's completely different than walking home from the pub after a skinful.

• Advertisement

They always say there's nothing like a bit of fresh air to sober you up!

The case against virtually all the suspects is circumstantial, although to be fair the circumstantial evidence against most of the suspects is slim to none.

Post edited by tobefrank321 on

The reality is there was only person who was definitely near the scene and she placed herself there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Bsily had a few different theories on the murder

The horse theory , killed by a horse

The bantry Garda

The French Hitman

Post edited by tomhammer.. on

A 3km walk for country people after leaving the pub is nothing, especially if you think you might have a chance of a romantic encounter in your head. I reckon he arrived there and she entertained him briefly (not romantically) and he lost it when he realised he was rejected. Ego + Whiskey + short temper + history of beating women + rejection = an assault that went too far on this occasion. I wouldn't expect him to go straight home, he may have considered killing himself elsewhere but changed his mind.

Agree 3 km there and back is nothing to a lot of rural dwellers

Speculated by a couple of sources that bailey grabbed a bottle of wine and the situation escalated from there

"The horse theory , killed by a horse"

where did you get that horseshit from? pray tell

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It wasn't a 3km walk after leaving the pub though. He was home from the pub, and had some more to drink at home. So it would mean setting off again - this time most likely on foot, at 3am on a December night.

Nothing to suggest enough familiarity that Bailey would think he could turn up after 3am and have such a chance, or that Sophie would have a reason to open the door to him. There's no record of him assaulting any women outside of a domestic living setting.

For someone who 'lost it' he either did very well to leave no forensics or was very lucky.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The clumps of hair were in Sophie's hand were her own. Not sure how that could happen or how Bailey could do that, and it end up like that. And again, no trace left of Bailey despite him supposedly being scratched at the scene.

No sign of any bite marks.

You can just as easily argue for similarity as not.

None of this was matched to Bailey:

The then State pathologist, Dr John Harbison, recorded: "I took scrapings from the fingernails of both hands and placed them in plastic bags . . . A number of hairs, almost a dozen, were adherent to and even wound around fingers of the right hand. Because of dried blood these were removed with difficulty and some of them parted. I found one long and one very short hair adherent to the back of the left hand." Bailey gave gardaí a sample of his DNA in January 1997.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/a-brutal-death-in-black-and-white-1.922863

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

In the history of mankind you find it hard to believe a man with drink on him wouldn't take a notion at 3am to go in search of a woman he thinks might have a chance with. This man's mind was not standard either.

Advertisement