Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ehhh, you seem to have missed the facts that he went to court and gave sworn evidence that Bailey actually confessed to him, they put dead bolts on all the doors in their house and then 7 years after the confession he swore on oath that "I then avoided him as best I could".

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,181 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Put dead bolts on the door but still got into a car with him! I avoided him as best I could... until I needed a lift.

You couldnt make it up.

He was grand with Bailey till the keystone cop Guards spread their hysteria about Bailey as the DPP calls out:

This is not consistent with the recollection of his mother, Amanda, who states that:

“I remember Tuesday the 4th February 1997 at 9 p.m. Malachi arrived home. He told me he had got a spin home from Ian Bailey. Malachi seemed okay and was in good form. On the following day the 5th February 1997 Malachi arrived home at about 6:00 p.m. I noticed he was agitated and I wondered why. I questioned him and he told me that Gda. Kevin Kelleher had called to school that day and was asking questions about Ian Bailey and his movements on the previous night. Malachi then said he hadn’t told the Guard everything and he told me that Ian had been drinking on the Tuesday night and that he had said to him that he had smashed her brains in with a rock or stone. At this stage Malachi was upset and I think that it was only then that the impact of what Ian Bailey had said to him hit him”.

It is abundantly clear that Malachi Reed was not upset by Ian Bailey on 4 February 1997, however, following his conversation with Gda. Kelleher he became upset and turned a conversation which had not apparently up until then alarmed him into something sinister.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Very well handled interview of Sophies son Pierre-Louis by Parick Kielty this evening.

Refreshing to know he has felt a sense of closure over the last couple of weeks and at the same time still has faith in the professionalism of The Cold Case Review Team.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

A very impressive man and a credit to his mother. He saw through Baileys spoofing and lies and thankfully a chapter is now closed for him and he can move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I thought Bailey's death would've had the opposite effect of closure, he was never charged or convicted.

I think it's weird he kept the house also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If believing Bailey killed his mother helps him to move on with his life, great; but the case itself is far from solved and will likely never be due to Garda incompetence - there’s a lot of other people who should have been investigated and weren’t - they’re dead now so opportunity gone - this case will never be solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Only hope now is a file is sent to dpp and he indicates there would have been a prosecution

Even that is no proof of anything

Well it would be a better place to be than where we are right now- I’m hoping that the objectivity of the DPP is as good as it was the last time this file came their way, and I believe it will be- possibly even more so now.

But reading the previous report, unless they have new and compelling evidence then no it won’t .

Yes hopefully the dpp is fully rigorous and objective in this regard

I believe Bailey is guilty obviously

This is merely a discussion forum featuring peoples opinions. Justice should (and does) operate to a much higher standard

• Advertisement

Its possible there's some incriminating evidence in the flat or the car(did they search it?)

Also possible they may disprove his claim of never meeting her someway

DNA would be crucial

It seems they have made progress according to all the media reports if they can be believed

When you hear of someone committing a murder, and you pay a passing interest to the news reports and a summary of the evidence against them, you tend to make up your mind quite quickly- and usually you’re correct - the person goes on to be found guilty of murder

- however to get to that point doesn’t take into account the 1000s of hours of police work that went into presenting the key pieces of evidence in a logical manner that makes both sense and builds a compelling story - even the Graham Dwyer case- don’t think there were many thought him “innocent” even before the trial - but the amount of work to gather that evidence was staggering, and the verdict was never something you could have laid money on - it was absolutely text book hard slog by the amazing Gardai who worked on that case, when there was no crime scene no body no murder weapon no DNA.

The evidence in that trial was much more than circumstantial - each step of the way as they brought the jury along the way from Dwyers meeting and relationship with the victim right through to her death, were all proven by hard facts, or at the very least circumstantial evidence that was compelling

Now compare that to the evidence we have here- statements accusing Bailey of being out at a bridge on the night in question withdrawn- by a witness whom you’d not believe if she told you the time.

Scratches on hands that weren’t in any way investigated from a medical or scientific perspective and conflicting reports by different people as to when they appeared.

”Confessions” that could equally be classed as misquotes or mocking and sarcasm - but even then, nothing that could stand up on its own.

Lost evidence and Garda research on the suspects from the early part of the investigation

hearsay evidence provided many years later by Sophie’s relative/friend (can’t remember which) as they “just remembered”

No DNA or sighting at the scene of the crime

No DNA on the suspects clothing or home

An obviously botched investigation as per DPP and GSOC reports

When you compare the two investigations, it’s apples and oranges - this case is closed because not only is the main Garda suspect deceased, but the opportunities to properly investigate all other avenues are long gone - by decades in some cases -considering some key suspects have died by their own hand within months of Sophie’s murder and others conveniently stayed in France, out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

A dead person can't be prosecuted but can be found guilty posthumously which would be proof.

Conversly, if someone else were to be found guilty of the murder, that would  prove the posthumous innocence of a wrongfully convicted person. 

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭leinster93

Was the weapon used in the murder ever retrieved? Is there any dna on file. Pardon my ignorance but not fully knowledgeable on the case...

Figuratively speaking only - likely it will never close if DPP finds that there would not be enough evidence to warrant a prosecution had Bailey been still alive- but where would you go from there?

• Advertisement

Is there precedent for this?

I guess the guy who killed Jastine Valdez was found guilty posthumously.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,181 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There were multiple weapons used, something hand held, such as a poker or hatchet (never found) and then a rock and finally a cement block taken from a nearby pump house. The rock and block yielded no forensics except DNA of the victim. There seems to be a plan to retest them using the latest more sensitive technology which looks for touch transfer DNA (i.e. down to cell level) rather than earlier tech based on blood, saliva, skin, hair. There is also talk of rechecking for fingerprints on the block with the latest tech.

The only other DNA found connected to the murder was a rogue sample found on a boot of the victim, possibly blood, possibly saliva. It did not match the victim or Ian Bailey. The boot did not appear to be stored securely - evidence bag was open. Could have been contaminated - which should give pause to anything found on the above objects.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭csirl

Why is it "rogue" DNA? What is "rogue" DNA? Sounds like a phrase a Garda might use to describe evudence that doesnt fit their narrative.

There were two murder weapons used, the rock and the block which were both used to keep the gate opened.

What's orangehyme on about then

The block taken from the shed he says and the killer must have known the layout of shed

Some lads posting here have very vivid imaginations.

Is he the lad that wanted to ring Bandon Garda Station with his tip off that the murderer was a brother of the lady Sophies hiusband married after the murder?

I believe so

His theory was that DTDPs wife had a family member murdered so was more inclined to violence herself

Theorized the brother was the suspect

Lol. I'm still considering ringing them but I asked someone and they said I'd sound like a crackpot, like those mystics who say they've info.

• Advertisement

The block was taken from the pumphouse. That's pretty much a fact.

The slate rock may have been taken from the gate post.

Advertisement