Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cos he was trying to flog them?

Dont buy a car from this man.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Have you got "the 2 named journalists" statements there by any chance?

How would he not know what photos were on the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

No bailey says he didn't offer crime scene photos ,2 journos say he did

Thats the lie I'm questioning

Maybe answer the actual question and not one you make up yourself

Sneaking in when?

The crime scene was manned from that morning

Bailey didn't arrive til later

• Advertisement

Nice try with the statements query

No I don't have access to statements

There's an IT article upstream and odyssey posted a transcript with the names of said journalists

Agreed re: your first point.

On the second point is Bailey the murderer or a journalist on the make in that scenario?

It would still seem too risky if the former.

If the latter there seems limited opportunity as the photos were taken in darkness. I assume the scene was guarded after the murder even at night as the body lay in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

But if these photos of a woman's body etc are real, they would constitute absolutely critical evidence.

Especially if the man who developed them could definitely identify a suspect.

It is just baffling that nobody seems to know where they are or what happened to them. If genuine they could be absolutely crucial.

My conclusion; since the Guards were told about these, and nothing has happened, they were not/are not relevant to the investigation into the death of Mme. Du Plantier.

What are you on about

You think the scene was manned immediately after the murder that nite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It's quite possible, this is just another story. Again, nothing is proven. Also the Guards didn't find anything in Bailey's apartment after his death, or in his studio, or where he lived with Jules. And I am sure, they must have looked around.

• Advertisement

What lie exactly are you accusing Bailey of with specific wording and source.

As far as I recall, this was asked and answered already back on Bailey said he didnt take photos, Jules did. Bailey was trying to shop them around but no takers as they were useless. The only lie as such was Bailey misrepresentimg what photos he had. None of which is evidence of a direct connection to the murder, just a journalist on the make.

Im baffled how anyone could read my post and think that.

But I will make it even more obvious:

I assume the scene was guarded even at night following the Lyons reporting it and the Guards arriving.

And lets not forget the reason the body lay out overnight was the Guards rejecting the instructions from Harbison for reasons that have never been explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Good Lord.... This is straight from Lah Lah Land.....

So after Sophies brutal murder.. The spotlight is firmly zoned in on Ian Bailey, his face is never off the news, he's the number one suspect, no question about it, he's our man.

Bailey protests his innocence, will reiterate to anyone prepared to listen how this is a fit up....

But then, by Golly...... He appears in person, to a photographer in Clonakilty, with a roll of film depicting the dead murdered French woman??

Four things strike me immediately:

1) He must be the dumbest murderer on the Planet - Bar none! To place himself at the murder scene and retain the proof.... And then to ask a local to print the photo's off for him, even though he's on the news every day...

2) The photographer must be the dumbest of his profession too. You telling me a Cork native, practically next door to the murder scene, didn't join the dots...?? A six foot four Englishman, a roll of tape with a battered dead woman on it.... The face not familiar??

3) Then takes an age before he realises there may be something a bit dodgy about it all..... Better ring the plod.

4) And then...After trying every corrupt way to nail Bailey, the Gards in their infinate wisdom, upon getting this case breaking nugget of information, decide to do didley squat with it... Nothing, Nada, Zip......??

You couldn't make it up!

All very good, Flannell, except for point 4. The Gardaí did not "do didley squat with it... Nothing, Nada, Zip......??" They took the photographer back to Sophie's Gate and got him to say it was the gate in the photos that he had seen only fleetingly in a dark-room 6 months previously. They made sure it got into the papers and thanks to the likes of Nick Foster and Baloney Maloney it started the debate that Bailey was at the scene before the Gardaí. Even though Lowney denied ever having named Ian Bailey as the man, the statement was read into evidence at the French Kangaroo trial!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Gone very quiet in here. Does anyone know when Jim's documentary is out?

There was a flurry of articles in the Irish newspapers following Bailey's death but gone quiet now.

About the documentary, I don't see a firm date - this is an interview with Sheridan from last month in the Indo but just says: Sheridan’s much-watched five-part series, Murder at the Cottage, aired in 2021. A follow-up documentary is currently in production.

This part of the interview caught my eye:

NH: Who do you think killed Sophie?

JS: I do know there is a suspicion that the police might know who was following her. It’s my belief that person lives in France. I didn’t give the name to the police, but somebody else has sworn an affidavit. I hope the police will question him. I’ll feature the suspect in the documentary, but we can’t name him.

And this:

NH: What can people expect from the new documentary?

JS: We’re calling it Recreation, but we don’t know if that will be the final name. There will be a lot of new facts and revelations. Let’s start with the rock. We don’t believe that Sophie was killed with the rock. We believe she was dead before she was hit with the rock.

NH: Do you think someone killed her with their bare hands?

JS: Yes, if you want to say it that way. I have two pathologists — one who is a state pathologist — who have confirmed it. Both are outside of Ireland.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/jim-sheridan-to-say-ian-bailey-died-of-natural-causes-is-the-irish-phrase-for-27-years-of-torture/a668506106.html

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Sheridan’s last interview with Bailey will feature in his new film.

" We don’t believe that Sophie was killed with the rock. We believe she was dead before she was hit with the rock.

NH: Do you think someone killed her with their bare hands?

JS: Yes, if you want to say it that way. I have two pathologists — one who is a state pathologist — who have confirmed it. Both are outside of Ireland."

Well Holy God!

That certainly puts the cat among the pigeons!

@bjsc, If you still here, have you any photos other than those already in the public domain on the Koude Kaas blog?

Particularly interested in photos of the pump house and the area around the gate into Sophies lower lawn, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A new and grisly thought occurs. (I've read too many detective stories...)

What if the reason for the massive, excessive brutality of the battering in of the poor woman's head, was done to conceal the fact that she had been killed by some other means before this assault? To hide a more distinctive wound, perhaps?

I thought the same or to hide evidence, a bite or something swallowed perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭BQQ

I can't make out thay drawing at all, I know what it is but it looks like just a bunch of scribbles..

Annoyingly paywalled. I'd like to read this, but how?

Hmm, I've looked at it. The drawing doesn't look all that explicit, to me. I can't see this "clear trajectory" at all.

The journal entries, like most private journal entries, are supremely self-centred and highly dramatic - very much the sort of thing that anguished teenagers write; except Bailey was a grown man.

There's no doubt he was a blackguard, but he did know it himself!

The repeated description "cold-blooded killer" doesn't seem to fit - rather, a very hot-blooded man with very poor impulse control, and aggressive. But some self-awareness, all the same.

I'd call that page ambiguous, rather than proof of homicide. Still suggestive...but of course it was written for his own eyes only.

And I'd still say "Rest in peace", as I would for anyone, sinner or saint.

• Advertisement

Odd, I have tried to 'translate' the illustration..

‘I know 23rd December

Broken pieces of a former self,apparently XXX and XXX to ordinary g use, An illusion a mirror reflecting a thousand shards, temporarily fragmented.

Tired let me stay, wants likes

You tell me your in privy, I xxxx your pain, you complain.’

The sketch has a speech bubble saying  ‘help, help help

Sketch appears (to me) to show a figure sitting or lying (fig 1) with two other figures over the first, one (2) behind the other (3), perhaps restraining figure 2? Either 2 or 3 may be holding a long object. There are scribbles or something around the scene...

Perhaps someone knows what it means or can make out what is being said here..

Advertisement