Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

like many of these "cold" cases my belief is the Gardaí don't have a clue, and are just hoping beyond hope someone comes forward. they just upgraded the Annie McCarrick case to murder after 40 years ffs. Kerry babies is another example. DNA might point them in the right direction, but whatever witnesses, clues, etc. will be long gone by now. with every passing year the chances of a satisfactory resolution diminishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

To be fair it can be very hard to crack a case if there is no/little evidence left, people come forward with information that is wrong or retracted and those that have relevant information won't come forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

i accept what you are saying. there are a few missing persons cases, where the girl or her remains has never been found. in these cases the dogs in the street know the circumstances of her disappearance. eg married man impregnates young girl, and decides easiest thing is to make her disappear. the guy has then gone back to the bosom of his family as if nothing has happened. the missing ingredient appears to be PROOF. could this be down to poor/ineffective policing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Proof can be missed by the police for sure. But then again, it's very possible to commit crimes and leave no proof whatsoever behind, i.e. no physical evidence and no witnesses.

Even though the Gardai screwed up and appear to have lost/disposed of item(s) relating to the crime scene and items belonging to Bailey etc., or they let people drive away from the crime scene and go to the dump, there's no 100% guarantee that their negligence resulted in proof that 'x named person' did the crime was lost. We don't know if the lost items/people being allowed to leave the scene would have resulted in the crime being solved and we'll probably never know at this stage. We can speculate, but that's about it.

But yeah, it does look like there was poor/ineffective policing.

And yeah, you can't get a conviction without PROOF, unless of course you are tried in France (in your absence).

It could be but as previous post points out you can't manufacture proof if it isn't there. If people (families or friends) won't talk what can be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

But you can “eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth” Arthur Conan Doyle ·

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hard to hang a conviction on that theory in this case, or any case for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There seems no indication that DNA of the culprit was retrieved.

I'd imagine with the Kerry baby case they could use familial DNA based on his parents, who would have a lot of explaining to do.

Conviction was not mentioned. It’s about eliminating impossible suspects and actions until all that’s left is a suspect on which to build a case to convict.

The Kerry baby mentioned above is a classic example of an impossible suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Benmann

Sunday paper saying Bailey is going to be evicted as his apartment is to be sold. Jules quoted as saying she will not take him in as they do not speak now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It just doesn't only look that it was poor and ineffective policing, but it was clearly corrupt policing. Offering drugs to get close to Bailey or coercing a witness is a bit strong, not to mention the Bandon Garda tapes.

Proof is needed beyond reasonable doubt to get a conviction for murder. Garda never had that, and neither did the French.

Apparently during the cold case review there were conversations with a few people in Ireland as well as in France. To date no results were delivered, and I doubt it ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

So, Bailey has been served his eviction papers, apparently his landlord wishes to sell the residence Bailey has been occupying.

His Twitter account is infested with Trolls, why he doesn't use his block button is a mystery to me...

The general overview of his tormentors is that he was caught 'defacating' in a lacal business and urinating in a cup elsewhere.. (charming you will agree?)

If the posts are to be believed, where ever Bailey finds an address, there will be petitions generated to move him along..

A lot of posters are suggesting that Sheridan and Jools are more than good friends, recent pictures of them may support this theory.

Furthermore, there is mounting speculation that Jools told others of the horrific injuries to Sophies head before the details were released, therefore hinting that she may have seen or heard about them in advance the general media.

Weird stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think you mean Jules not Jools ?

People always talk in small villages and rural communities. I would doubt if even half of this is true what is talked about....

If Jules knew something, she must have heard it from somebody else, that is unless she committed the murder, but in that case, I doubt very much that she would speak about those details. Having said that, she doesn't have any motive, none that I could think of.

"Jools told others of the horrific injuries to Sophies head before the details were released"

When were the details of her injuries released, do you know?

Some time later after she allegedly told other of the injuries inflicted on Sophie.

Again, this is nearly 30yrs ago.. People's time line may have dimmed with exact regards to dates and times.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd say that we would have been made aware by now that Jules knew details of the murder scene that had not been released to the public.

It's more likely local gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Or that the details of the murder scene were already local gossip.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Or maybe the person who killed Sophie told Jules?

I've wondered if the block and over the top destruction was a distraction from the immediate cause of death and perhaps the exact location? I mean was the blood spread around to lead to a certain conclusion. Were all surrounding buildings in the area searched at the time?

Alfie and Shirley's house back up for sale 425k.

Minus the shed;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

It seems to have had a lot of work done on it since it was for sale last.

Is it being sold by a new owner or is Shirley still trying to sell it?

Shirley sold it a couple of years ago, shortly after Alfie died for around 250k I believe. The shed had changed hands around 2016 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

Does Shirley still live in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

Shirley Foster must have been eager to get away from West Cork, this story has dominated her life for so long…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I've wondered if the block and over the top destruction was a distraction from the immediate cause of death

Baily mentions the missing Red Poker in this news article from around that time period

Odd that

Save the image to see in larger frame

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Acorn 737

What I find odd is the lack of a mobile phone, surely someone as well off as Sophie would have had one? Even in the mid nineties they were becoming pretty popular. I was a college student in 1997 and a lot of students had them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Coverage in non-urban areas would have still been quite poor and Eircell's first competitor, ESAT Digiphone, was only founded in 1997. So I'd say most folk in West Cork didn't have a mobile because they were expensive and wouldn't have been of much use to them.

I guess so, it’ll be a difficult cold case to crack though, there was barely anything to go on for investigators at the time, not to mind now.

• Advertisement

Where did Ian get all the money for drink and weed and tobacco and stuff he’d generally need? The incident with him and the Shelley’s says they met up in the pub the morning after. Who the **** goes drinking in the morning? Most of us wouldn’t even consider doing that and even if we did we’d be stone broke after the previous night. I’ve often questioned how some people in places like that manage to make a living without appearing to actually do anything.

Advertisement