Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

To be fair, he throws out more red herrings than the penguin keeper at Dublin zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭Deeec

Nick Foster and Bailey are actually quite alike. They take every opportunity to keep themselves in the limelight.

Baileys recent health scare is probably indigestion but him going to the papers about his health issues keeps him in the news and probably is a ploy to get someone to take pity on him and give him accommodation. Likewise Fosters watch theory is nonsense but he has to keep his followers ( idiots ) interested....

Both of them know how to play their audience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Bailey supposedly had a "double heart attack" according to Indo

Whatever that is . Sounds like one of those expensive cocktails

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

As the years go by, it looks increasingly like Bailey indeed had nothing to do with the murder of the French national.

The detectives reviewing the case, haven't even bothered to contact Bailey.

The latest declaration was they were interested in a European national, and had even tracked him down to an address somewhere.

In hindsight, if Bailey knew Sophie, he would be dropping her name all over the place.. A film director and fellow poet... The lad would have an orgasm at the thought of mixing in higher social circles..

Without a doubt, Bailey courted the spotlight, he undoubtedly kept himself in the frame.. If the long game was to create notoriety, and play the victim, ensure his name was slandered beyond repair, and then move in for the big pay off's from the state, media and gutter press..

Then it all spectacularly backfired.

He presents himself as an intellectual, a big time corrospondent for the mainstream media (freelance of course..) A man a cut above the rest..

Unfortunately, Bailey was gutting fish to make a crust, and picking up random gardening jobs here and there.. Not really the pesona he was trying to put out there.

The Sophie murder must have been like winning the lottery to him.. Right on his doorstep! He was officially the Man of the Moment.. (At last!)

Once he got a taste of the lime light, it would have been intoxicating to him (given his ego)..

There is no way he would have given a blood and hair sample if he was within an asses roar of that crime scene.

Remember - He tried to leg it back to England when he beat Jules up on one occasion, he was arrested at Cork airport trying to board a flight.. If he was all for doing a runner for a domestic assault, what would his reaction be for a brutal murder?

Whoever it was ... The odds are stacked against it being the good Ian

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume he had two attacks within a few days of each other. He was at pains to let everyone know that he was at death's door.

However, as someone who had a big one eight years ago where both my LAD (aka the Widow-maker) and a second but smaller artery were 100% blocked. I was in the Coronary Care Unit in Blanch hospital for ten days and got a stent in the LAD (but they couldn't do the second). Without being melodramatic, I was at death's door (and probably should have died but thankfully didn't).

Now, I wasn't in touch with work or friends or anyone except close family under doctors orders and this continued for a few weeks after my discharge until my heart regained its shape again. Had I been in that situation I certainly wouldn't have been doing feckin media interviews! I would speculate that he is milking the bejaysus out of whatever cardiac issues he has but I'm not believing for one second his claims of how serious it all was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Dogspaw

He would have had no choice about giving blood and hair samples so his giving them voluntarily means nothing

Load of rubbish

Chat got would do better arguing points

• Registered Users Posts: 30,157 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

When he gave them he did have a choice.

"Alfie Lyons told Bailey about the bloodstain on the back door of Sophie’s house yet on 10 February 1997 while in custody Bailey willingly gave a sample of blood for analysis. At law he was under no obligation to do so... If Bailey had murdered Sophie, he would have known that there was a definite possibility of forensic evidence such as blood, fibres, hair or skin tissue being discovered at the scene. His voluntary provision of fingerprints and a specimen of his blood is objectively indicative of innocence."

https://syndicatedanarchy.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/30/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dogspaw

I'm sure he knew, being a journalist, the Gardai could get samples if he was arrested.

*If* he was arrested, which he wasn't at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Baileys recent health scare is probably indigestion but him going to the papers about his health issues keeps him in the news "

He's been in the public eye for the last 25 years, the case is rarely mentioned without his being mentioned as the suspect, in fact it had become more about Ian Bailey than Sophie Toscan Du Plantier. Now his long term partner has kicked him out, the cold case review team are not interested in him, it looks like he'll have little or no part to play in Jim Sheridan's new 'Re-Creation' film. I don't know the phobia word for feeling abandoned, but it must be where he's at now.

I think there's a lot of tubes and stuff here for "indigestion";

Who says the cold case review team is not interested in him ?

The operative word is "review"

They're hardly going to waste time interviewing Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

You think they could “review” the case without re-interviewing the chief suspect if he was still classed as a suspect? I’d say their focus is elsewhere now, and as you say, why waste even more time flogging a dead horse?

You don't know any of that

Pure speculation.They may not need or wish to interview him

We don't know , doesn't mean he isn't a person of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

It's nearly 30yrs ago buddy..

They're not taking Bailey down anytime soon..

There's not one iota of evidence against him.

You sound like one of the original murder investigation team... It's Bailey - No need to look for anybody else...

There's a list of dubious characters, wake up and smell the coffee bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

correct, a gambler, a womaniser, a rudeboy of the old school but not a murderer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I never new he had a gambling habit? Also not sure if he was a classical womaniser? As far as I / we know he never cheated on Jules?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Barry Richardson

Some crazy spammed comments under that video. Anybody wanting a list of Cluster B personality disorders should take a look, WTF is that one all about? 🙄

• Advertisement

Is the thread title a running joke or something

Always wondered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

The new Netflix documentary about the Jill Dando murder brings to mind some interesting parallels with this case.

Most obviously, the victims were glamorous media-related personalities and the alleged "murderers" both live in Cork (!). More significantly, the Dando documentary highlights a miscarriage of justice in which police ran out of suspects and then targeted an oddball local outsider on the most tenuous evidence. No eye-witnesses, no forensics from the blood-covered scene, no prior link between the victim and the defendant. Mercifully, the evidence of a speck of gunpowder which convicted Barry George was later found to be unreliable and his conviction was quashed.

I think the only reason we didn't have a miscarriage of justice to rival the Jill Dando murder is the determination of the DPP not to be railroaded into putting Ian Bailey on trial with a succession of witnesses led by the perjurer Marie Farrell who all suddenly remembered vital evidence just when the Gardai had run out of ideas. Who was the DPP who prosecuted

The French court convicted Ian Bailey in a farcical trial which only confirms in my mind that the real murderer will never be found.

No court will ever try Jill Dando's murderer, who has probably continued his deadly and lucrative career in Serbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Another case which parallels this one evn more closely is that of the hounding of Colin Stagg for the murder of Rachel Nickell in London in 1992.

He was, like Bailey, a bit of an oddball. The evidence against him was threadbare and totally circumstantial. He was also incorrectly identified by a witness and suffered the same one eyed pursuit by the police. There was a sustained effort to manufacture evidence against him, he was tried and convicted in the court of public opinion and villified by the media with the active connivance of the police.

Christopher Jefferies a similar case too, although at least police came to their senses sooner in that case and nailed the real perpetrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

A terrible case - the police missed several opportunities to stop Robert Napper on his murder/rape rampage in South London.

And in the end it was DNA that caught him. But no DNA evidence was recovered from Sophie’s blood-strewn crime scene so the prize for biggest investigative cock-up may still go to West Cork😫

The investigation into Colin Stagg could be combined with Ian Bailey as case studies in failed investigations. The “honey trap” was a new low in British policing. And don’t start me on “forensic profilers” - what a bunch of useless self-promoters! In the past, the police simply ignored the “psychics” who invariably showed up at high-profile investigations but these “profilers” are usually ex-cops with the media in tow. Have they ever actually cracked a case (except on CSI)? Definitely not the Unabomber case, although they were all over it and try to claim credit.

• Great video doc, learned quite a number of things from it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nothing there. It is not in dispute Bailey had the day before killed turkeys and chopped down a christmas tree but this witness (Roger Brooke) comments:

"I remember thinking that it was strange to be killing turkeys just before Christmas Day. That is usually done a week earlier... The reason was I read a report that Ian Bailey had told gardaí that cutting a Christmas tree was responsible (for his scratches), which was not what he told me."

The bottom of the barrel has been well drilled at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Evergreen_7

Advertisement