Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Oh i agree that women have intuition and she may have had doubts or worse

Remember though she stayed with him after the beatings

Where has a sexually motivated murder been confirmed?

Also you're plain wrong that men don't conceal big secrets

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Happens all the time. Serial killers are in relationships or even married with kids and murdering at the same time.

Ted Bundy, Green River killer, BTK killer etc.

Psychopaths don't feel empathy or guilt so can hide things very easily.

It does happen.m

But not over three decades.

And Jules Thomas is an intelligent and talented woman.

It is possible, but extremely unlikely, that she would turn a blind eye to any suspiucions she would have had.

Most importantly, had she had any doubts about Bailey's involvement in a sexually motivated murder, she woulkd not have risked his continued co habitation with her daughters. No mother would.

Just because you keep repeating the below doesn't make them facts. They are merely your unsubstantiated opinions.

-Jules must have known

-Men can't keep big secrets

-It was a sexually motivated murder

Also your making yourself look silly by claiming posters are virgins or havent been in relationships because they disagree with you

• Advertisement

Yes, women have an incredible ability to understand their partners. Also their children.tione4d

She styed with him after the beatings, yes. But many, many abused women do so.

The sexual element of the attack was never established but, if Bailey was the perpetrator, waht other motiovation could he have had?

Of course men conceal big secrets...I accept that without question. But Baqiley was under suspicion from very early in the sequence of events....it wasn't a Ted Bundy type situation where the murdedrer was in the shadaows....and Jules was aware of the attention on him and was even questioned herself at an early stage.

I don't believe he could have hidden his guilt from her for such a long time. I also believe that, had she had the slightest doubt about hius innocence, her maternal instinct would have driven her to take steps to protect her daughters by removing him ( or, maybe, them) from the house. Which she never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

I've lived with women most of my life. You've already been shown to have been wrong, so best to leave it at that and drop the teenage insults like a good lad.

Maybe stop stating your opinions as facts

We all have them

Where was her maternal instinct in leaving a woman beater live with her daughters?

Apparently he was a creep with the daughters also and they didn't like him.

Maybe Jules liked the notoriety also.

Remember there was two murder weapons, maybe two murderers.

You started the insulting rhetoric - if you can't take it, don't give it.

Yes, they are opinions. But given the few known facts regarding this issue, opinions are all we have.

I never said that men can't keep secrets. I said that it is extremely unlikely that a man could keep a secret as big as this, under intense scrutiny from the woman they live with, for almost three decades. That is my opinion.

I never said Julees must have known. I said that, had Bailey actuall been involved, it would have been virtually impossible for him to have kept it a total secret from the woman he lived with for almost thirty years. That is also an opinion

If Bailey was involved ( which I don't believe) then the only plausible motive was sex. I don't think it was a sexually motivated murder. As there is no evidence of sexual interference with Sophie, it leads me to that opinion. It is difficult to ascribe a motive to Bailey if sex is ruled out.

Finally, anyone who has been in a long term cohabitation with a woman, must have come to appreciate the power and depth of female intuition. It is a force of nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,062 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

To the best of my knowledge, Bailey never harmed or threatened to harm Jules' daughters.

I don't think Jules wanted the notoriety in the least.

As to the identity of the murderer (s)...who knows.

Its possible that Bailey was involved...yes. But I don't think so. The evidence simply doesn't support the theory.

All opinions, of course.

For God's sake.

Of course it's possible to keep secrets in a long term relationship. BTK killer was married for decades.

There was never a motive for Ian Bailey to murder Sophie.

There was a rumour that he said he went up to her house looking for sex.

Her body had no evidence of rape or sexual assault but that doesn't mean the motive wasn't sexually motivated.

Personally I don't think he did it but there is a lot of circumstantial evidence, the scratches in particular are suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Everyone in the area seems to have accepted Sophie saw the gard having an affair with a woman and the gard killed her for it. Makes sense to me. Open secret in the locality. Gard is now deceased.

Nah you got the ball rolling

You asked had I ever been married in reply to my post disagreeing with you

I'd hazard a guess you're respected in a particular field of work and have come to believe your opinions on a range of other topics carry extra weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Look at your man Fritzel, he kept his secret under the house for almost 3 decades , only for She escaped! So it can happen.

OK,

Its possible to keep secrets in a relationship.

But this isn't a little secret that never really becomes an issue, like a minor pecadillo, or a particular secret like a prior infidelity etc.

This was a major issue, up in Jules's face from the outset.

She must have asked herself countless times if there was anything in it. She must have frequently had long conversations with Bailey on the subject. It would have been the biggest issue in their lives for nearly thirty years. She woukld have seen his statements, she would have read about every word he said, she would have looked into hios eyes, studied his every expression, lain awake at night thinking about it. Sat in court as he gave testimony. Tortured herself about whether she was wrong to believe him. Year after year after year.

The BTK killer was not under suspicion for decades after his first murder

So, in my opinion, had she had any suspicion, the least she would have done is to take steps to protect her daughters. The fact that she didn't is, in my opinion, testament to the contention that she believed him. And she has never publically waivered on that stance. Even after the split.

I accept that the absence of evidence does not totally rule out a sexual motive, but it is a compelling indicator. With regard to the rumour that he went to the house looking for sex........ther are a great many rumours surrounding this case.

I didn't intend that as an insult. So apologies if it came across as such.

Its just that, as someone who has had a lifetime of experience of living with women, I have become acutely aware of the power of female intuition. It really is levels above that of the male of the species. And subsequently, I cannot see that Bailey, if guilty, could have kept Jules completely in the dark for such a long time. Yes, I know its possible, but is improbable in my opinion.

Secondly, also in my opinion, had Jules had the slightest suspicion that Bailey was the perpetrator of such a crime, she would have immediately taken steps to protect her daugters. Any mother would. That is another powerful female instinct....maternal protection.

Yes, that's an outlier. A real puzzler.

But he was never under any type of suspicion until his daughter escaped.

Bailey was under the microscope every day since 1996. Every word he said, every action was scrutinised and evaluated and assessed.

So, I take your point, but its not quite the same.

Bailey could have been smart enough to know that it was too risky to trust Jules or anyone with this info if guilty

-It may come out under questioning

-It may come out at any time subsequently

It's simply a calculated decision if it was made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I wouldn't say that's true either. It's pretty divisive in the Cork area if he did it or not. Rumours of affairs etc are just that. Personally don't think Bailey did it but there's a ton of different theories with no real evidence. I can't see it ever being solved due to Garda incompetence.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes out now

Gardai can leak what they have on bailey , ditto the papers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Based on what the Gards did later on, would lead to suggest a Garda interest to cover things up.

Coercing a witness or offering drugs to transients or mishandling evidence is not something that happens by accident. And the Bandon Garda station tapes also exist.

The husband sending a hit man would be a big financial motive for the husband as well. To date this is neither proven or ruled out. But fact is nobody benefited more from Sophie's death than her husband, - both wanting a divorce, already in bed with the next wife.....

I would have thought the opposite

Show the gardai " had the right man all along but couldn't prove it"

Don't think the hitman theory carries much weight anywhere in reality, except maybe a few posters here and of course bailey who put the theory into the public domain I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

Bailey made a sexual advance on one of Jules Thomas’ daughters in December 1995, almost exactly one year before Sophie was murdered. The daughter was a teenager at the time. His advance was unwanted. I understand the daughter made a statement about this in the course of the murder investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Looks like the review team had been looking elsewhere all along and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the truth about the murder does eventually come out, if it was Bailey in the scenario outlined, or any of the other alternatives - someone hushing up an affair, a hitman, drugs angle, a randomer, some other unforseen angle - it will be "far fetched".

Mistresses and wives going through divorces are murdered either at the hands of the man or someone hired by them if they have become 'inconvenient'. That doesn't mean it happened in this case but nor does it make it a conspiracy theory \ Hollywood stuff.

Witnesses who have seen something they shouldn't have involving organised crime are threatened and murdered. Again, that doesn't mean it happened in this case but nor does it make it a conspiracy theory \ Hollywood stuff.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

That’s not what it means - it just means they will continue with the review until it is concluded.

Advertisement