Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano 105 Di2

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i dialled in my ultegra 6800 three and a half years ago, and IIRC it has needed a single tweak since. it's my dry weather bike.

anyway, it'd be hardly worth the cost for saving the hassle of an annual adjust?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

Thats just crazy money for groupset - For comparison I built a TT bike from scratch in 2016 was €1,429 fir Ultegra Di2.

Details Name Unit Price Quantity Total SH-UL6870Di2Kit 2016 Shimano Ultegra 6870 11s Di2 Electronic Upgrade Kit$949.95 1 $949.95 Front Derailleur: - Electronic Front Derailleur (Braze On)-  - Rear Derailleur: - Electronic Rear Derailleur: SS-  - Shifters: - TT Bar End (R671) + TT Brake Levers (6871)$220.00 $220.00Wire Routing - Battery Mount Type: - Internal Wires (SM-JC41) - Internal Battery (SM-BTR2)-  - Junction-A Box: - 5 Port$20.00 $20.00Crankset: - 172.5 x 36/52$135.00 $135.00Bottom Bracket: - BB86$25.00 $25.00Brake Calipers: - NONE-  - Cassette: - 11/28$45.00 $45.00Chain: - Ultegra Chain$20.00 $20.00   Sub Total: $1,414.95   Discounts: $50.00   Shipping: $65.00   Grand Total: $1,429.95  

Also,when I couldnt get a groupset during lockdown I ordered a Sensah Empire Pro for 260$ for full groupset including brake calipers, brakesm chain etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

How do you find the Sensah groupset? I was intrigued by it. Tempted to use it to replace my Sora.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Am tempted by the Sensah stuff myself, have seen a couple YouTube videos on it and it doesn’t seem to shabby for a midrange option at a much lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Never heard of Sensah. Thanks. I'm now going to spend most of my working morning hovering over the add to basket button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

For those of you interested in the Sensah groupset.

There's one or two followup videos, and I think there's a suggestion that buying components separately worked out better, or at least allowed for better brake calipers, which seemed to be the weak point

*Edit* I added the other videos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Sensha/microshift or something similar was the reason Shimano/Sram etc have to keep moving; and by that I mean convincing cycling consumers that they need the newest latest and greatest version of gear shifting. Corporations don't survive if they sit still.

Since 7400 was launched the refinement and improvements possible in a simple ratchet and pinion system accurately and repeatably adjusting a derailleur via a cable only had so much road. Once they hid cables they knew smooth shifting had already peaked for cable shifters.

To convince people they need the newest dura ace they came up with di2/wireless etc; to survive they need to keep doing that.

I'd be surprised if and when Tiagra goes 11 speed that it doesn't have a different pull ratio to 5800/6800/R7000 etc, that's what happened when they introduced 4700.

For the home mechanic or someone who tours or rides audax the reparability and predictability of mechanical systems has to be a high priority. I've had cables snap on very long events, but with experience you recognise the warning signs and can act before failure.

I don't care how reliable di2 can be; when it fails I'm going to be incapable of fixing it on the side of road or at home.

Firmware update or having to charge battery to rid my bike fu(k off

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Saw the list price for Trek’s new Madone ‘SLR 6’ which I believe is the top of range frame with the new 105 7170.

€7,700

7.75kg

Jesus wept

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a lot of sevens.

but over 7k for a bike with 105, is just bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Over 7k for a bike is just bananas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There’s a few bikes spec’d with it here

Cheapest one is the ribble endurance 725 which is a steel bike at £2499, an extra £1000 over the mechanical r7000 spec. Any of the standard AL frames and that are £3k plus for the lowest options

maybe i'm just ageing, but my eyes are drawn to the Ti and steel ones.

though it's funny to hear a groupset costing €1.9k and seeing a bike with it, a 725 frame and ksyrium wheels retailing at STG£2.5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How does SRAM eTap compare? I see Canyon have an Endurace CF with Rival eTap for €3,000 whereas the CF SL Ultegra Di2 one is €4,150. Only difference is a around 400g less weight, the fancier seat post and carbon bars.

Didn't have any issues when using SRAM Apex on my last road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Whatever the pros and cons they are certainly making it quite expensive to get a decent bike especially for casual cyclists who just go out for a bit of fitness on a more or less entry level road bike .

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

So if an alu 105 bike is 3.5k, it’s no longer the entry level for most I guess. That pushes 105 into the ‘upgrade’ bracket after a few years of getting into the sport.

It gets a bit confusing then what the point of Ultegra is.

I guess it's a waiting game to see if they continue to make mechanical 105?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Will Sora become 10 speed at some stage? and Claris 9 speed?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Same here, never had to adjust until the cable frayed at the shifter about 1.5 years in (which apparently happens with Shimano Ultegra quite a bit (r8000)). Changed the cable, didn't even get any cable stretch and it's been 2.5 years now without any sign of issues.

Out of interest I looked at my bike online for prices, its just wrapped up, the last few at my spec were selling for €2k more than the price I bought it at. The disc version which is heavier and is still for sale is double the price. it is insanity.

I'll be keeping this groupset going for another few years before I change

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

I defo think there is a place in the market for a decent cable and mechanical based group-set. It will add around 700€ to a standard bike of that ilk

it'd be nice if shimano occasionally released new builds of older groupsets (though changing tooling over might be prohibitively expensive); and i suspect even a small outfit making retro groupsets would face very significant per-unit costs to manufacture them. e.g. dura ace 7600 is lovely and clean looking, but despite being old tech would probably be massively expensive to recreate in small batches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

I does what it says on the tin, shifting is single paddle, 1/3 click up, 2/3 click down Full Click 2 down. Once I got used to that was happy. As per one of the videos above, the brake calipers do seem a little less solid than Shimano, but I have had no issues with them.

Advertisement