Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returns to the UK?

Options
  • 29-06-2022 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere but can't find the relevant posts, was surprised that there wasn't a sticky.

I ordered a jumper from a UK retailer, all import duties and VAT were included in the price charged. Package was shipped and received without issue, but is alas too samll, so going back. Two questions:

• the package is to be marked as a return, will that avoid any further costs or issues with customs?
    • what is the best shipper to use both from the point of view of (i) price (the package is about or less than 1 kilo) and (ii) being able to deal with any issues which arise with customs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

I use UPS mostly for shipping. I've returned packages to the UK without issue. Mostly to Amazon in Dunfermline but also to smaller places a few times.

When you create the label you have to select the purpose for sending and there is an option for returns. You will need the HS Tarriff Code. You can find them here https://www.tariffnumber.com/ An Post also have a search function https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/SME/InternationalSending/Find-a-TARIC-Commodity-code

Sending a small/medium package to the UK is €12 with insurance up to €85 included.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive answer, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

When I fill in the details in the UPS cost calculator, I'm being quoted 27 euros - 16.99 for USP standard and another 10 based on the 100 euro customs value of the jumper. Am i missing a trick here? Seems expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Put the real value as the customs value and put the declared value (the insured value) at €85 or less so you don't have to pay for extra insurance.

Their prices seem to have increased by 10-15% sometime since I last used them earlier this month unfortunately.

An Post would probably be around the same price for an item of that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

have to return some stuff myself so am book marking this

but it does look like it might no be worthwhile returning with the cost and are you saying that you have to pay duty on returns essentially?

bleeding brexit

• Advertisement
Advertisement