Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure cooker v standard saucepan

• 29-06-2022 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

I looked up a recipe on YouTube that says to cook a pound of tomatoes in a pressure cooker for four whistles. Don't have a pressure cooker so was wondering if anyone would know how long that would equate to in a standard saucepan?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We use a pressure cooker but I've no idea what 'four whistles' are. As for timing: Potatoes take 9 minutes after reaching pressure- if you want to extrapolate from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Ive never used one but I'm guessing it means to reach max pressure and release four times. I'll just do trial and error.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Many indian pressure cookers whistle when they're up to temp, so the instructions are basically to wait until you've heard four whistles. You can find converters online to instant pot or to regular pots, but you're probably a little better off searching for a similar recipe that's intended for your cooking method of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no direct conversion. What's the actual recipe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A new one on me. Forty years using a pressure on a daily basis and never had one whistle. Comes to pressure and just stays there until the ring's turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

You are touching cloth on four whistles, I’ve wore the shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

It's a basic homemade ketchup but I thought cooking time might affect consistency. Watching it again, consistency is determined later in the method.

I don't usually cook, wanted to try to replace the shop-bought ketchup that my son guzzles daily.

https://youtu.be/jTg74ZT_5Vo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cooking time will have an impact. Just find a non pressure cooker recipe if you don't have one - two vastly different techniques.

You can get quite high quality shop bought ketchup though. The discounters own brands are often "healthier" (more tomato, less sugar) than the big brands!

Advertisement