Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3G to close

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd say no difference, in reality there's very few if any 3g plans offered any more and 3g remains primarily as a back up to 4g.

2g and 3g are still available, 2g primarily used to service specific services involving things like smart meters, SMS operating systems/ alarmd/Automated access etc.

The only impact may be those still using 3g phones but again the service not ending, just not being upgraded.

The VoLTE service, is infact not available on many High end 4g devices regardless if it's included in a subscriber package.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

The MNVOs (Postmobile and ClearMobile) will likely start getting access to VoLTE and Wifi calling if they plan on shutting down the 3G network.

Sky mobile launching next year on the Vodafone network should really support VoLTE from the get go.

Embarrassingly Three have yet to launch VoLTE or Wifi Calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

About time. The Vodafone network was starting to look archaic compared to Eir etc. They still have a lot of old 3g masts. I know a few big towns that only have 3g while the other operators have 4G/5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

AFAIK 2G will still be in use so the drawback of 3G closure will be no data access during a call until VoLTE is rolled out more widely.

The main issue will be for those with a 2G/3G only phone that requires data, 2G data will probably still work but at dial up speed so practically unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Post edited by The Cush on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yes they need to make room for all that shiny new Huawei equipment that's full of back doors, just to make sure it's all ready to go for when the Choinese decide to kick off WW III

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭GIMP

Question I have, as 4g coverage often falls back to 3g inside buildings, will this be an issue with 3g shut down. As in no indoor data coverage in many rural locations, I know 2g will still exist for calls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

If no improvements are made to the 4G network your phone will fallback to 2G.

I'd imagine they will overhaul the 4G network by utilising the lower bands (7/8/900Mhz) for better indoor penetration and rural coverage, the 3G switch off will free up spectrum for this purpose also.

I assume once 3g has been switched off in the 900 MHz it will simply be replaced by 4g with the same coverage and penetration.

The 800 MHz band is 4g by default and there is temporary 4g in the 700 MHz band.

I find this statement by Vodafone a bit concerning “ The 2G network provides core voice coverage, and we are continuing to invest in and maintain this network.” The cynical me thinks the likes of An Post and ClearMobile will now just fall back to 2G when on a call when 3G is shut down. VoLTE will be wishful thinking. Also i think we’ll be seeing a lot more 2G when travelling through the countryside in places where we would normally get only 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

A lot of Machine to Machine (alarms, gates, environmental monitoring, etc.) still use 2G so there's a business case to continue 2G going forward over 3G.

No reason why Post Mobile or Clear Mobile can't support VoLTE or WiFi Calling - Eir Mobile and GoMo are two separate networks on the backend and support both, similarly in the UK you have VOXI (Vodafone), Sky (O2), BT (EE), ID Mobile (Three) which all support VoLTE and WiFi Calling.

If Vodafone manage it right, then they could make the transition from a frequency band currently using 3G to be switched to 4G relatively quick - at most you might have a day or two of disruption in a given area.

They put a lot of marketing into being Ireland's number one network, there's no way they'd get away with large numbers of customers falling primarily back to 2G indefinitely. Plus, inbound roaming revenue (tourists staying within Ireland using roaming) is a big revenue generator for the networks, it's not going to be good for Vodafone if tourists find themselves latched to 2G if the phone automatically chooses Vodafone, tourists will go and manually select Three or Eir instead and get 3G/4G/5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

We could be hearing a lot more of this again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh4IR_gPuUE&t=15s

Yeah i do realise there are gates and alarms etc that use 2g but It’s the specific mention “ 2G provides core VOICE coverage”. Regarding tourists there are lots of complaints from people roaming in europe being stuck on 2g because of other networks transitions. If you go to the USA your phone reverts back to 2G when you’re on a call however Vodafone claim to be working on a solution.

Vodafone Ireland have a lot of those old pole 3G only type masts. The ones that look like a CB ariel. I wonder if they will be capable of 4G or are they going to be putting up a load of shiney new masts. Getting planning permission for new masts isn’t easy these days. Rurally you will be going backwards. Where you normally get 3G only will now be edge only.

Vodafone are tight. They won’t even let you use wifi calling abroad. It is possible to glitch and i have seen it pop up on my phone when i was in the UK for an hour or so. However in the terms and conditions if you do use it abroad you could be liable for extra charges.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

Vodafone’s 4g upgrade must be underway even though they have said late 2022. Three 3G masts ( should have been 4G long ago 🙄) in my area have been upgraded to 4G in the last month or so.

They are way behind the other two networks, where Vodafone are upgrading to 4g Eir and 3 alread have deployed 5g. Its rare enough that I pick up 5g on Vodafone even in larger urban areas.

Oh i agree, It will be interesting to see how Vodafone will progress in the coming year. Personally i’m not too bothered about who has more 5g. I’d be happy with good 4g coverage.

5g isn’t always spectacular. There are 2 masts beside each other in my area. One is Eir and the other is Vodafone. Eir is 5G and Voda is 4G. Both have the same download speeds.

I’m staying with Vodafone for a while mainly because of red roaming when i’m in the USA. I need my phone for calls and 2 euro a min will end up being too costly.

Vodafone 5g coverage finally updated on Comreg website. Pathetic to put it mildly!

Comreg are quite slow updating their info on the phone masts. I know quite a few Vodafone sites upgraded to 4G/5G in the last couple of months but the info on the comreg site still says they are 3G only.

Anyone on Vodafone having an issue with calls dropping back to 3g, as in volte not working or WiFi calling not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Not working here in Cork. WiFi calling not connecting and falling back to 3G making calls.

Edit: working again at 10:09pm

• Advertisement

Ya back here too was not working since yesterday! This has happened a few times recently, when 3g is closed and we rely on volte more often it will become an issue!

Is it Comreg slow to update or the MNOs slow to supply the data?

Around my area, NE Co Limerick, Vodafone have installed 2 new masts and eir has installed a new mast and upgraded another to 4g (5g?) within the last 6 months, none updated on siteviewer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

It's a combination of both I'd imagine, but I would suspect the operators are slower.

The maps on there own websites come with some exaggeration but data supplied to COMREG would need to be spot on.

Also I believe COMREG do alot of drive testing to ensure the operators are providing the coverage they say are and it's fit for purpose so perhaps the data is only updated when this is completed, a total guess though.

Is Vodafone WiFi calling and 4g calling down tonight?

Ya down again its the second time in the past few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^

I can see this going badly for those in rural areas for sure.... My experience of Vodafone hasn't been the best, even in cities.

On Vodafone Red and have never ever got 5G anywhere since having a 5G capable phone the past year plus.

I was seriously wondering if the company's Vodafone plan was 5G enabled.

The other day I was passing through Louisburgh, Mayo and got 5G... Of all places!

I never get the VoLTE symbol even though the phone is enabled for it. VoWifi works fine but that only kicked in and worked consistently since the early part of the year. Prior to that it was dropping, echoes, feedback and delay.

Was roaming in Greece in July and Vodafone's network was terrible. EDGE at times and dead slow 3G/4G. Was not allowed to manually choose the other providers networks either. The rest of the family on GoMo had no bother - 4G nearly everywhere with Cosmote. I was surprised how bad Vodafone actually was.

I’m relieved it’s a network issue. I had just updated to ios 16 beta 6 and it wasn’t working. Seems to be working now again.

Yeah. People who live rurally will be downgraded from 3G to the slower Edge. 4G signal doesn’t travel as far 3G. 3G shouldn’t be turned off in this country. Our network technology is way behind compared to other countries. Still lots of small towns and villages with no signal at all in 2022.

Agreed, Vodafone are playing a massive catch up as regards 4/5g coverage rollout. There are huge swathes of the country under 3g only coverage. Last year while in West Cork and Kerry I experienced very poor 3g coverage and in alot of places no coverage at all for example Béal na Bláth in Cork, zero coverage for quite a few kms around, not even 2g for calls.

• Advertisement

One good thing is Vodafone are starting to upgrade their 3G masts. They have upgraded a good few in my area to 4G in the last couple months.

Advertisement