Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre, comes with landline?

Options
  • 30-06-2022 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I've switched from pure to eir for ftth, but with the eir order it comes with telephone, but the thing is:

- I don't need telephone/landline

- Have a copper line at gable of house but it goes nowhere, removed all rj45 sockets

- existing fibre line in place already

what's the situation on above, apparently I need a technician to call for the install, which is confusing since my fibre line is in place, assume they can remote turn on my connection?

and how does this landline situation work when I don't want it, but no option for fibre only with eir

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Be careful with Eir , especially if you are signing 24 months contract:

• Going forward, from April of each year, the monthly price of your Landline & Broadband a plan (excluding any discounts) will increase by the annual Consumer Price Index rate published in January of that year plus an additional 3%.

As for the landline , don’t worry, it is VOIP , working through Eir’s router. Engineer might call regardless, even there’s nothing to do. ( He might replace ONT with the newer model, supporting 2Gbps speeds.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

went with 12 month 500mb at 35E as also get a discount on their sim only mobile plans so its not a bad deal for a year.

already have the latest ONT capable of 2Gbit so baffled why a tech needs to call out to install, i wont even be using the eir provided router as i have a better one

thanks for the info on the voip, was worried he might be trying to reinstall the copper

already have the latest ONT capable of 2Gbit so baffled why a tech needs to call out to install, i wont even be using the eir provided router as i have a better one

Sometimes ISP just shipping routers by post , not the case with the EIR AFAIK. Every ISP pays switching fee to OpenEir ( it is more than €100 ), so engineer probably subcontractor to OpenEir rather than ISP ( not 100 % sure about this )

Almost forgot, Eir does have iOS app, which allows you to make/receive landline calls .

Unfortunately they ceased android apps development few years back ( you might find old Android APK somewhere, not sure if it is working though) .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

An update on the installation to help you. I have switched from EIR to VF and a technician does call. They bring the new router ie the GIGABOX and when they install they have to sign off using an IPAD. No touching re covid.

I have my own ROUTER so all I got was an email that said they would call between 9 and 1pm. So at 9 I watched ont and sure enough it went red and than back to white. I configured ROUTER for VF and away it went. Tech came at 12.20 and unboxed router plugged in, explained VOIP and went, in all 10 mins max. I wont get VOIP until VF send a text message, takes about 24 hours.

Gone from 1gb to 500mb and so far cant see a difference. And free landline calls.

By the way I had that EIR app and they charged me for calls! So stopped using it. I have a smart switch now so can use 2 routers.

• Advertisement

By the way I had that EIR app and they charged me for calls!

They charge you same way as if you were using regular landline phone, nothing extra.

Eir standard phone package comes with free landline calls , but calls to mobile are not free.

but what's the tech installing, the router? even though you use a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

From what I could see was all he did was plug cable into wan port and pc cable into lan, nb i ALREADY HAD CABLES ,then made a few entries on ipad, router rebooted and lights came on for internet and power and wi fi. He explained light for VOIP would come on and stay white and then it was ok but as of now I still can't make phone calls. I rang VF support Friday pm and it was advised I wait for a text message in next 24 hours, as of now still no text message. It could be an age thing I am elderly!!

I'd like to get phone working but not a clue with VOIP.

Ps To configure my own router it was a case of entering VLAN 10 but already done, change wan to PPOE and then enter VF logon details.

got switched on yesterday at bang on 9am, disconnected from pure, and changed username/pw on my router, didnt connect right away to eir, took maybe an hour even though ONT was lit green

also no K&N technician called to the house as they were meant to, so i have no eir modem (using my own router anyway)

Eir's FTTH doesn't require PPPoE connection. If you have your own router just choose Internet connection with out User and Pass.

You will unload unnecessary CPU usage of your router by turning off PPPoE , it might improve your speeds too, especially if you on gigabit package and router not very modern.

• Advertisement

cheers, somehow it was managing to connect using pppoe, albeit very slow to connect but was giving 470Mb speed, but I changed it to automatic ip and it connects much quicker on this

on Eir 500MB package, getting 475 down, and 50 up. Was on 1Gbit package for the past year getting 940 down and 100 up (with pure backhauled via BT)

Since the KN tech never called yesterday, i am wondering should i contact eir as they might look for the router back that they never supplied me at the end of 12 months..?

Post edited by BArra on

i rang eir and explained the situation, the rep told me i shouldn't have had any technician call out as i had fibre before and it would just be a remote turn on, he didnt know why an eir router wasnt couriered to me, and has sent one out. he had to check but yes you do need to return the router after 12 months so i would have been up the creek if i didnt bother requesting one (even though i wont even use it)

not off to the best start, but heres hoping no need for more contact and things go smoothly...

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Hi Everyone.

Do EIR install their own Fibre broadband or do they get K & N to do it ?

The reason I ask is because last October I signed up for Fibre with Vodafone.

K & N engineer called to install it on Oct 29th as agreed but there was a problem with a junction ducting cover was buried in soil about 18" under ground & a K & N ground crew would have to bring it to the surface.

They have set 4 deadlines since then & failed to keep to any of them.

That's 9 months & no progress.

I was thinking of going with EIR but there's no point if K & N are doing their installs ?

Tony.

It is done by KN regardless which ISP it is.They are subcontractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Some smaller ISP might poke KN regularly to make some progress .

Eir/Vodafone/Sky definitely won’t give a…

Advertisement