Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought this County Galway home, idea of price to refurbish?

• 30-06-2022 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Bought this 2000sq ft home in County Galway for 150k, and need to refurbish it and install fixtures throughout. By my account, it looks like it needs:

-Kitchen

-Laundry Room

-Fireplace front

-Oil Heater / Hot Water heater

-Wall heating units throughout

-Downstairs and Upstairs bathrooms

-Electrical and lighting fixtures

-Cleaning of roof and basic landscape cleanup

Can this realistically be done for at / under 50k?

Post edited by bie on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Before you do a tap of decorating/flooring i would get the plumbing and electrics sorted, thats the 50k gone! Looks like a bank repo and the way the previous owner or visitor took the doors/sockets/tanks etc... i am sure they have left some surprises for the bank/new owner.

An electrician will ask to rewire the whole house as it will take too long to fault find. I would not trust a single pipe in the house, probably all sabotaged

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jaymacc

No expert but recently got works done and I would say this is nearer a 100k job for the inside works.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bie

Sabotaged? All of the heating pipes, plumbing and wiring where the switches, light fixtures were is still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Yes but how delicately where they taken out, in past experience they are normally ripped out, with pipes cracked at base some with glue sent down them etc have heard of a water main coming in with drill holes so when the water was re-connected it leaked everywhere.

Surely you should have priced this before you bought it?!

• Advertisement

Comps in the area are 300-350k, so there should be enough headroom to resell at least at break even or profit if I wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Did you buy as an investment or as place to live?

Previous occupant obviously went to a bit of trouble to remove as many fittings as possible. If they were minded to do that, God knows what they might have left for the 'lucky' purchaser.

Maybe ask the neighbours. They'd have a handle on what happened....

For investment. Good point, will chat with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

bie

You have purchased a brilliant house as a bargain price. Well done.

The house was constructed after 1992.

€150,000 should enable you to complete the house.

Plumbing and heating and electrical will be ok. Get the plumber to carry out pressure tests on the heating and plumbing pipes, to ensure systems are ok.

It appears on the video that there is solid wood flooring on the ground floor and first floor. As can be seen many of the boards have cupped. Maybe the flooring was fitted before the concrete ground floor was allowed to dry out. With thick insulation underneath the concrete, it would have taken approx 12 months or more for the concrete floor to dry out.

The flooring boards can be sanded and re varnished

The previous owners lost a very large amount of money by building that very large expensive house, and having to sell it for €150,000. I have never seen any house so stripped of everything including the Kitchen Sink.

The purchase price is because of the location of the property. Bear this in mind if you are refurbishing the house to sell. Location location location!!!!!!!

That home was built in 2006. 150k seems pretty excessive for a basic refurbishment (thinking Ikea grade)? I'm hoping to have most of this done for around 50k.

-New kitchen (cabinets and appliances)

-Wash room (washer / dryer)

-New downstairs bathroom (appliances fitted, keeping existing tile)

-Upstairs bathroom tub + toilet + shower (keeping existing tile / sink)

-Confirmation the water, septic, and electrical systems work properly

-Water heater and radiators re-installed throughout

-Garage main door and side door installed (and floor cleaned)

-Doors installed in bedrooms and wash room

-Some floor cleaning and refurbishment to refit wooden boards

-Electrical switches, plugs, and light fixtures installed at various places

-Fireplace mantle / surround installed (and area cleaned)

-Roof and gutters of house and garage cleaned of algae / moss / grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

You've answered your own question. Although I'd say with tradesmen availability and especially material prices you might not get it done for 50k.

The other posters prices are way overboard, dunno where they getting those prices from, that'd be if you were doing a thorough renovation of the house and bringing it up to higher BER cert rating level. There's a lot of armchair builders on this site who recommend outlandish prices for things. I did a similar renovation job in past year for hell of a lot less than 50k but I did most of the work myself but it was mostly internal, I didn't need to do gutters or garage door or septic tank.

Best thing is to get different trades to inspect each items etc and get prices.

Also the claim the previous owner pulled a mission impossible plan to everything is a bit laughable, yes there could be problems with plaster cracks around pipes etc but this are standard superficial and easy to rectify by plasterer etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

I only looked at the video now, I don't see why electrician would insist on rewiring the house! Any electrician would easily do fault finding instead. Jesus rewiring is huge hassle and involve digging out walls etc. I don't see how an electrician would refuse to fault find. Some suggestions on here....

I've also seen similar houses where fittings were removed, by the looks of it I'd say they were removed carefully, if they wanted to there'd be way more obvious surface level damage to walls etc than what seen in video.

Also I'd say the timber floors buckled due to no heating in the house for long time, maybe years but I'm surprised not to see any mold/damp stains on walls anywhere which is a very good thing.

Anyway first suggestion is to get different tradesmen to inspect everything and go from there.

Advertisement