Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunken neighbour

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Poiuy_b

What way did you help? And how did they turn on you so badly?

This is something I didn't write in my original post. Not long after moving in, I googled my address, only to find his name in the news for attacking someone a few years ago. So he can be aggressive with drink.

Now that I know he has very bad addiction issues, I'm more inclined just to step over him if it happens again. I don't have any time for anyone with addiction issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'll be honest, looking back I was an eejit. White Knight syndrome.

Boyfriend/ girlfriend each time. Grafton Street, dame Street, parnell Square.

Got turned on. Never again. Got stitches and etches on my bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yep, let them at it. Or leave it to the professionals by calling the Gardai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It's not.

You help, its you're problem. I'm not trained(well very basically trained).

I'm not getting involved with a drunk, junkie or a domestic unless it comes to my front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

@Poiuy_b No, you don’t know anything about this man but you are stringing together a narrative.

You had an encounter with a blackout drunk neighbour. That’s all it is really. You do not know whether this was a one off or if he drinks regularly, had addiction issues or gets into fights when intoxicated. These are nothing but assumptions.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

OP I have to agree with jequ0n this is the first time you’ve found him black out drunk. Now hes a fire hazard, violent and is the reason why others have moved out. How do you know he has no family and of all your neighbours why Google him? Of course he maybe all of those things, but its escalating at a pace.

The way I see it you have three options, if you find him in that state again either:-

1. Step over him

2. Do what you did the other night, ie get him in to his apartment

3. Call 999 and wait until the ambulance gets there.

Personally 3 is the one I'd go with, more for the reason that it makes his situation official and there's a record of it. Whatever you decide, I'd absolutely let the letting agent know the door is being left open and ask for a spring to be put on the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Deeec

This will happen again and again with this neighbour. I know this sounds callous but next time this happens you need to ignore him. He's an addict - If you keep helping him he will become reliant on you. Soon he will be knocking on your door annoying you with every little thing and looking for money etc. . He will see you as a buddy. If his family can't be bothered. - They may have done everything they can to try and help him already so we can't judge them on this. They may have had to give up on him for their own sanity. If you speak to your neighbors I bet they have been through the same experience as you with this guy.

Again this may seem harsh but I would not ring an ambulance. The ambulance service is under huge pressure and are overworked - I wouldn't waste a call out for them on a drunk. The health service shouldn't have to deal with this.

All I would do is make sure the door is shut but leave him lying in the lobby. Waking up in a public area in public view may be exactly what this guy needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,475 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This new information that he has a history of violence changes things quite significantly.

You could be putting yourself in harms way if you approach this person when he is under the influence, maybe even when he is sober.

As he is not in any way part of your life except that you have to share a common area in the house you have no need to interact with him at all.

You have no duty of care to him but the landlord has a duty of care to you and the other tenants and you could consider approaching him with a view to him intervening to deal with his disruptive tenant.

Would you consider moving ?

Landlord is probably is Irish, understands his tenant’s drink problem (and has a heart FWIW). Too many wannabe solicitors on here trying to get this fella in trouble with the guards.

Id also go with 3 and tell whoever manages the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You did exactly the right thing by reacting the way you did which was to try and help this man as much as you possibly could. I don't know how any anybody could possibly suggest just stepping over and leaving him there as if he were a dead dog.

How have things panned out since?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod note

@Chicorytip It's against the Charter to as for updates. Please don't do it going forward.

In fact, given the OP hasn't been back in a month, I'll close this one off.

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement