Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting a Scope

Options
  • 01-07-2022 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all

A question to the better informed than me.

When installing the base section of scope mounts does it matter which side you place the tightening screws on. i.e. left or right hand side

I'm installing a set of Tier Ones on a dovetail receiver and would like the tightening screw on opposite side to the bolt.

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Once both rings have the screws on the same side it shouldn't matter.

Some prefer to mounts the screws to the opposite side of the bolt handle, especially on rimfires, to reduce or remove the possibility of the bolt handle being obstructed by the screws when cycling.

Other than that I've never heard of any arguments or debate on whether there is/are any issues with mounting them either side.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Paddyviking

Thanks Cass

I thought the same but just had a niggling doubt hence I posed the question

Once secured correctly I can't see any reason why they can't be oriented either way

👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭JP22

As Cass said, once both rings have the screws on the same side it shouldn't matter. Aesthetically it looks better when both mounts/rings screws face the same side.

If using really low rings and bolt binding/clearance is an issue, place the screws on the opposite side.

Note - some scope mounts/rings have etched marks on both halves (especially older Brno mounts) as this is the way they were joined/positioned when final machining/polishing/trueing took place.

If your mounts/rings are so marked make sure both halves are aligned correctly, marks facing each other.

If you cannot get on paper (tgt) after installation (rare but it happens sometimes) try swapping the rings back to front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭clivej

I tend to put the screws on the opposite side to the bolt. I thought it would avoid skinning my finger off the screws

Advertisement