Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2K23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wouldn't mind but they said that nearly every NBA 2K player plays MyCareer. Sounds good, but no interest in being a terrible draft regardless of my own skill. Shame, again. Expected though so doesn't sting this year. 85 should be the starting stat, or at least build a proper pre-NBA mode (college, foreign, whatever) to play your way up to 85. Gas that the career trailer even says that the character is 100% interested in the game and not the fluff, but it's still full of fluff...

But as you noticed, the sheeple continue to throw money at them so why would they change. No competition so no need to. Just so galling that your in-game VC earning is pittance yet everything costs more than a mid-sized compact car.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Okay, so after a few days of playing this, the gameplay is sublime, best basketball game in a long long time. But Jesus, the VC is a killer. Looks like it takes 400k to get to 99 this year and no quests have given me vc yet. At least last year the absolutely boring quests gave me 100-200k vc. So, upgrades more expensive, items more expensive and less VC given out. It's such a damn shame as there is a brilliant game underneath the greed.

Saying that, my 78 rated player is still a joy to play with. Could obviously be faster and have better animations but I'm getting 20-30 points per game, multiple rebounds, blocks and assists too so it's still fun to play. I haven't even tried park yet though with that kind of rating.

I might try the W for a womens career as there's no vc in that mode, upgrading works like the recent NBA Live games.

Thanks for clarifying that I won't be picking it up. Can't support that greed.

IGN review actually nails it. Best basketball game in years but career mode is too hard to enjoy because of everything being so expensive and not being able to complete online unless you spend money to upgrade your character. Outside career, Jordan challenges, My Team, NBA Era's, The W are all great to play.

6/10 lowest score in years. 2K obviously don't listen to their fans and I doubt they care about reviews when they have their core players spending money each year. Goddamn EA, just announce a new Live PLEASE!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

It's the best 2K in a long time, but the cost to upgrade your player (plus they are stingy with VC as rewards) is a pain. The lag in the park makes shooting insanely difficult. The shot meter is way off and the timing of jumpers online/offline varies so much. Always been like that I suppose, but it feels as bad now as any year. I don't know how people can practice with the lag without losing a lot of games. Shooting is a different experience offline.

Despite the issues, really enjoying the game overall. If anyone is up for playing some park, let me know (PS5). Would be so much better to team up with people who pass rather than random ball hogs.

• Advertisement

Yupp, fully agree. I have an 82 3pt rating for my 6'10 PF but i only take open dunks/layups. I have my PF up to 81 rating at the moment which last year had me at a great balance of attributes but this year, i have a good few areas to pump up. I hate when I'm wide open for a 3 because I'm expected to take it but no with the lag it's gonna be random. I can only assume it's because we're on American servers.

Absolutely on for some park games. Just had some warehouse games of the assist bonus and dopes were still ball hogging, over dribbling and shooting bricks. When we actually played proper basketball, we were beating 90+ rated players with ease.

I'm loving the gameplay, it's just a pity 2K and try to spoil the fun at every turn.

I think i have you added already? What's your psn? Mine is zero-cool-ire

Time absolutely flies playing this, the nba games are a lot of fun. I did notice this though, your teammate grade seems to start reducing on it's own at certain periods. Thought i was going mad until i saw my A go to an A- with me just playing offball D. Teammate grade is tougher this year with most missed shots giving you 'bad shot selection' and 'bad block attempt' has returned. It's like they don't want you to earn the top VC for A+ which was much handier to get last year. Also, just checked and it's costing 21k VC to go from an 81 to an 82, it's so disheartening.

Looks like the meta build was found, 6'9 PG with HOF playmaking badges that a 6'4 guard can't get and can pretty much do everything except rebound.

I'm a bit sickened as that's the type of build I wanted in the first place, a lanky playmaker but i drifted into PF with no post moves so have to stay on the outside. No way am i starting a new build so will wait to get to 90 rating (if that ever happens, it's currently 20k vc to get from 81 to 82) and use my rebirth on a new build where the instant badges might carry me until i level up.

Anyone on for some Park? Theater has some good games for matchmaking.

Right, 2 weeks down and I'm finally figuring out how to enjoy the game with the VC problem. My player is at an 83 rated 6'10 PF. I made some mistakes with my build (no post abilities, no strength, low interior defence and mid perimeter defense), my PF position keeps putting me places where my stats are weakest. I should have made a SF. Anyway, I'm wrecking career games, rookie of the month 2 months running and having a blast.

I tried the City, mostly Theater games (instant matchmaking) and my guy can actually hang with the 90+ players. The ONLY thing holding me back is the latency. Shooting is an absolute liability online with the delay, impossible to hit a shot so i play my role and there's actually been great basketball played so far. Great to see so many bricked 3's and it's fun grabbing boards and owning the paint.

It made me realise I wish I had 2 separate builds, one for career and 1 for City. All offense in career and all defense in city, so that's my current goal. Get my current build to a 90, unlock rebirth and create a new build just for online. Now, the thoughts of building up a new player knowing how little vc you get from quests is very disheartening but the game is really fun to play so gonna grind it out.

Man, if they just have more vc rewards or made it a free to play game, it would cement itself as the best 2K yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,959 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero, do you wear Air Jordan while playing the game? 😉

I can't afford Air Jordans, spent enough on this game :D

Code for 25kvc from uk/Irish site. I put it onto the nba 2k23 app and worked if anyone wants to try it.

Edit: all gone now. They'll be putting up another code this evening.

Man, 75k vc for free, should get me very close to 90 but no idea if i should put it into a new build with no badges or use it to start a new build at 60 with rebirth badges.

I had Tiny Tinas game to trade in. With the Epic card, it was giving me €35 to trade in. I have a €50 One4All voucher. I still didn't want to spend the few extra quid to get the Jordan edition because the 100k VC isn't enough. I ended up trading it in against God of War preorder (and got €45 off instead). As you said, it looks like a good game but I couldn't justify it in the end. Like you said, should be F2P if that's the model.

You also know it's gonna go way down in price, usually around January, if you're able to hold out.

The worst thing about it is knowing how hard it will be to try new builds. Last year, you could spend a couple of hours doing career quests to bring you up to an 85 so you could blast through multiple builds. This year, it's a pain just thinking about my 2nd build. Seems to be the biggest complaint online as well. Some mid content creators have called out 2K on it, some big ones acknowledged it but said it's never going to change, nothing they can do (typical yes man response) and the majority have said nothing. They ask want to keep their privileges.

Even then, I probably still won't. It sounds like far too much work, considering I quit fairly quickly on 2K22 because of the lack of progress and how it throws you into career deciding games without so much as a chance. If it's taking twice as long... It would want to be F2P+200kVC to get me in at this point.

Good laugh with V3ttel last night in Theatre games (instant matchmaking). Some highlights I caught, I missed the 3 point shot we each made which was a sickner as the latency made it really hard to time shots so yeah, most of plays in this vid are in the paint.

Also, you can see at 15 seconds in, my screen freezes for 2 seconds. That's not Youtube processing, that was happening to me in game, absolute pain to be dealing with when I have a plugged network connection with 500mbs dl and 50mbs ul.

Myself in Green, V3ttel in Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,959 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

You do like the green colour Zero. From racing green Renault Clio's in GT7 to shooting hoops in green clothing :)

• Advertisement

I completed the storyline and won the city. NBA 2K has had an attrocious story for the last like 6 years bar the one you start in the China League which was actually great, but this year takes the biscuit. In a bid to clock up game play time to their sponsors, it's like as if they told their writers that the story needs to be 10's of thousands of words longer than needed. There's so much nonsense rambling in each scene that i had to skip about 95% of the cutscenes.

Anyway, i got 7500 vc for finishing it and and another 15000 vc for other completion milestones. Finished with a 90 rated player but the 100k from Jordan edition and 75k i won on twitter helped a lot with that. He's brilliant to play as in my career, will have to up the difficulty though as it has become a breeze.

So, i decided to go all in with a park build as i never bothered spending too much time online due to shot timing latency making it extremely hard to shoot. I built a 7'0 center Paint Beast with shades of Shaq which I'm very happy with. 0 shooting bar free throws and all defense/finishing. I have 40k vc to spend on him plus i just got another 35k from 2k support from complaining about network latency so should get me to an instant 75 and with rebirth, have some badges to start out with. Gonna just protect the rim, grab boards on both ends and finish whatever my teammates miss. Looking forward to this.

I had gotten an email from 2K about their data breach recently and how my info was stolen, just email and user, no passwords. Basically anytime who opened a support ticket with them. I contacted to say I wasn't happy about it and they offered me a coffee of game wwe 2k21, pga 2k21, nba 2k23 or civilisation 6. I asked for vc instead but they said could only offer one of those games. I refused. 2 days later, they emailed me offering 250k vc which is like 70 euro worth. I'll take that!

Great games again last night. That new build you have is outrageously good. Carried us to a great streak of wins!

If anybody picks this up for PS5 and wants to join us for a few games, just give one of us a shout. Would be great craic to have a team of 3 for park, theatre or events. Maybe even rec if we could get 5.

Absolutely man! The only negative side was our 3rd teammate taking awful shots and not passing when we're free. If we can get a 3rd person, would be excellent. You got some great driving dunks, some melting posters mixed with blocks and rebounds, we had the paint well protected.

Also, I made my build even better today. I took off my bronze backdown punisher (rarely used online) and put on gold fearless finisher instead. Now I'm hitting way more contested contact shots.

On top of that, I learned that turbo and right stick up forces a standing dunk. I was using square which was standing layup. I had 2 games of Rec there on my lunch. 1st game, the other team has a 99 lock build who stole the ball every time our PG grabbed it. My whole team quit by end of 1st quarter. AI was terrible so i quit shortly after. Those 99 steals need a nerf big time, was ridiculous. Had a 2nd game and we just all clicked. The other team quit in the 2nd quarter and i leveled up from 7.5 to 8.5, huge xp reward.

Tried another 2 games of rec, both full AI teammates by the time the games started so I quit and got a message about bad sportsmanship and banned me from online games for 30 minutes ffs. Anyway, got this game earlier, skitting laughing during it. Paint Beast is such a fun build.

Myself and V3ttel had great craic in The Theatre last night, dunks, oops, passing, blocking and rebounds, doing it all. Extremely fun game when it gels like this. Bonus footage at the end of the nastiest poster dunk I've pulled off yet, poor brown shirt.

The hand off at 2:15 was my favourite play of the night. Perfectly timed cut while the two lads were jumping expecting me to try dunk it.

Interesting stuff, EA is currently looking to hire a community coordinator for Madden and Nba Live. I wonder will we finally get a new Nba Live or if it's just for mobile. I can't take another year 2K with their money grubbing awful career mode that I'll send up buying day one because of the lack of basketball games out :(

https://geebo.com/jobs-online/view/id/584432998-community-coordinator-madden-nfl-/mobile//

I've stuck to my guns, and i'm going further in that I'm just not buying 2K games anymore. At least until it's completely changed. I'm sure the loss of 1 person will really affect them, but they do consistently remove my comments on their Facebook posts...

EA has a purchase just waiting here.

• Advertisement

EA will never be able to compete so they should just drop the NBA side of things altogether. Live 18 and 19 were a ton of fun, just needed a bit more polish. I put on 2K23 today for the first time in months and was bored after the first game, tempted to install Live 18 again.

Advertisement